It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Honeycomb Drone Swarm Can Fly In Any Shape

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I was browsing Stumbleupon and I found this cool article about drones that are design to fly in swarms.

These honeycomb-like drones use advanced networking technology to fly smoothly in large formations. Created as a teaching aid by researchers at ETH Zurich, the Distributed Flight Array consists of at least two modules, linked physically by magnets and electronically by push-pin connections.

By themselves they are unable to fly.

Curiously, a single unit cannot fly on its own. The torque from a single rotor is unbalanced, and sends the drone tumbling erratically. Once connected, the units all take off as one, using their rotors, and then fly level to the ground, with sensors providing information about inertia and altitude. A human pilot steers the formation with a joystick.

Source
edit on Mon Jul 29 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: Starting a New Thread?...Look Here FirstAboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count. Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events, or important information from other sitesplease post one or two paragraphs, a link to the entire story, AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item, as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

That is pretty damned cool. I wonder if there is any way they could make them fly independant of one another. If they could, they would be fantastic surveyor drones, capable of splitting up mid air and floating off to different areas around a parcel of land, and probably be quite good for search and rescue, if properly equipped for either role.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

That would be really awesome if they could do that. I wouldn't be surprised if they can easily convert one to make it fly on its own.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

I also wonder how long they can stay aloft. I am a locksmith, but I also have an interest in perimeter security measures. With that in mind, I am wondering wether these could be used as mobile security drones, equipped with thermal imaging and night vision, to cover the times of the evening when businesses and domestic premises are at most threat of being broken into. Linked to a sensitive, sound activated alarm, programmed to recognise the sound of breaking glass, a door being forced, and so on, they could launch when activated by that system, and follow the suspects to thier car, or push bike, and back, potentially, to thier orgination point.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   

I was honestly thinking more along the lines of moving cargo/freight, if it's too heavy you simply slap a few more drones together until they can handle the weight.

These things are cool
but the way they are designed at the moment I cannot see them doing much else, this was just an experiment so they could be designed to do anything. The technology of how they all work together is neat too, I could see similar things being used to create floating water platforms.

Thanks for posting this Op, it's some neat stuff

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Further to your idea,

The idea I was thinking was that you place motion sensors around a perimeter, and have two or three pairs of these drones. When a sensor is activated, one pair drones is automatically sent to the target area, also automatically activating 2 screens (or one screen split in half) in the control room. The operator/security guard could then fly them around with different camera capabilities (mentioned in a previous post) to find the intruder. If there are two intruders, the pair split up and one drone can follow one guy etc.

Just a thought

Ace drones anyway, until they get used against us of course

Kaidan

top topics

join