It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Orleans teen shot in the head by man who thought he was burglar

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by IvanAstikov

On my property it's always been that way. I work far to hard for what I have and if you want to take my belongings from me you will pay the ultimate price.

Just realized I want to shoot the Government!

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Crazy world for sure

A Friend of mine is being sued by a thief who tried to steal some gardening equipment out of his garage , as this person was leaving the garage my friend saw him and shouted , now this is true, the thief turned to run and fell in a hole which my friend dug for an new outdoor bbq area , the thief broke his leg in the hole, The police came and took statements and took the thief away. my friend is now getting sued by the thief for not covering the hole is his own back garden properly

This is in Sydney Australia...

yet you shoot suspected burglars
edit on 29-7-2013 by Riouz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by KawRider9

Home protection shouldn't entitle someone to shoot anyone they see on their property, whatever the level of threat they present.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Please believe me when I say I don't EVER want to shoot someone. EVER. However, if put in that situation, I'll do what's necessary to protect myself, family and property!

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Including shouting something like, "I've already phoned the police and I've got a gun aimed at you. Leave my property peacefully and I'll just point them in the direction you went."?

It's the ones who would just take a snide pot-shot at a sitting duck I have objections to, so if you're not one of them, you're cool with me.

edit on 29-7-2013 by IvanAstikov because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Are criminals a separate species for which normal rules don't apply?

Yes, criminals are separate. It is the law and their willingness to break it that separates them.
The authorities generally don't arrest people for doing the 'right' things, they arrest them for doing the 'wrong' things, that kind of defines 'criminal'.

Since when did the death penalty for attempted theft become acceptable?

In some cases, it became acceptable when Louisiana passed the Castle Law.
edit on 29-7-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
ive never shot any one for just trespassing,but to be fair most of them showed up during the daylight not the night,and only two of them were armed. the two times i think i was almost robbed the combination of my dogs barking and me standing in my door way with an ak-47 was enough to get them off my property ( i have large property with a bridge to the house that has controlled access) with out incident.so not every one shoots first and apologizes to the survivors.

i think the home owner will be justified as the teen scaled a 8 foot fence and as a castle doctrine state the law is on the how owners side,sure its sad the teen is dead but if they weren't out randomly climbing peoples fences in the middle of the night they would be less likely to be shot by homeowners who value their property rights

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

I want to know why this man is being charged with murder!!! WTF people???? When did we lose our right to defend ourselves and our families?? The shooter, Mr. Landry is a married property owner with one child and another child on the way. He didn’t know what this guy’s intentions were! The law is very clear:

Louisiana's Castle statutes — which carry subtle differences from the now-notorious Stand Your Ground laws — allow the state's residents to use force, "deadly or otherwise, to protect oneself on his or her property."
www.nydailynews.com...

He doesn’t even have to fear for his life to use deadly force in LA!!!! This is getting absolutely ridiculous. This story really angers me, OP!! Thanks a lot!!

edit on 29-7-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by IvanAstikov

Are criminals a separate species for which normal rules don't apply? Since when did the death penalty for attempted theft become acceptable?

If you want to think the worst of every criminal that is out there, dont be too surprised when you attract the worst of their kind to you and they treat you with the contempt you project at them.

If you have an idea (it's night time - wee hours of the morning where only murderes and thieves usually operate - who knows which one is he?) that your family may be in danger... for the sake and safety of them that you love most... Shoot first and ask questions later.

When in doubt.. duck and watch... when family is involved.. shoot to assure there is no threat.

It's the guys property. It's been like this since the wild west and probably thousands of years before. I was always taught that if I wanted to stay out of harms way... stay off and out of what belongs to others.

anyone sneaking around windows, yards and homes, especially at 2-3am in the morning, deserves to get there ass kicked. I'm sorry the kid was shot over this, but at what point does one think it's totally ok to mess around where you dont belong? That man had every right to assure his families safety. Even if it came to shooting someone in his own back yard. Having a newborn or one on the way just adds to the amount of force used to assure safety.

Laws and legal options are there to garantee the rights of the INNOCENT... not criminals.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Shooting someone who is breaking into your vehicle while your family are safe inside the house, is not self-defence.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Riouz
Crazy world for sure

A Friend of mine is being sued by a thief who tried to steal some gardening equipment out of his garage , as this person was leaving the garage my friend saw him and shouted , now this is true, the thief turned to run and fell in a hole which my friend dug for an new outdoor bbq area , the thief broke his leg in the hole, The police came and took statements and took the thief away. my friend is now getting sued by the thief for not covering the hole is his own back garden properly

This is in Sydney Australia...

yet you shoot suspected burglars
edit on 29-7-2013 by Riouz because: (no reason given)

dead thieves cant sue you

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by theRhenn

dead thieves cant sue you

True, but you need to be certain they don't have vengeful family members if you are going to make a habit of it.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Home protection shouldn't entitle someone to shoot anyone they see on their property, whatever the level of threat they present.

Sure it should. If someone walked in your home and stole your TV. Wouldn't that be grounds? Why not your own yard where you also have property? If someone opens your car door and goes to pull you out of it.. You can legally shoot them. It's called carjacking. That car is also your property and an exension there of.

I feel it's fair. Dont start nothin' wont be nothin'.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

For one, quit calling this person a child. In many cultures you can be a man as the age of 12. This 14 year old young man knew what he was doing. He had malice and intent to rob on his mind. The home owner was 100% in his right to blow the young man's head off IMO.

Reminds me of a case where a teen jumped a fence into a back yard just to cut through the neighborhood faster. The pittbull in the yard caught the kid and killed him. The dog did his job, he protected the home from invaders who were illegally trespassing. Ya know what happened next? They ordered the pittbull to be put down because he was dangerous! Thats Outrageous.

Hell of a messed up country we live in.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   

wwltv.com Merritt Landry, 33, fired one shot at a teen when he saw him in his front yard on Mandeville Street in the Marigny around 2 a.m., according to the NOPD.

Sounds like the front yard but it still would be private property.

Police sources later told the Times-Picayune that Coulter posed no threat to Landry or his family.

Also sound as if the police now side with the criminals. Seems as though many want the criminals to do bigger crimes before actions is taken against them.

Edit:

If the man held him at gunpoint would he be charged with kidnapping? My bet is yes.
edit on 7/29/2013 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Do you gun owners really think that is a justifiable reason for shooting somebody in the head who isn't actually threatening you at the point you are pulling the trigger?

It depends on the exact circumstances but I’d say…..YES, based on what I’ve read it sounds reasonable. This guy had a wife and young child in the house. Are you a parent? Do you think it would be wise to call police and let this criminal carry on doing whatever he came to do? Would you wait until he came in and possibly opened fire (with your wife and child in the house)?

Some responses to what this man did (and what GZ did) are truly amazing to me. We live in a very dangerous world and there are some seriously disturbed individuals in this world who would literally cut your head clean off with a pocket knife in front of your children if given the chance. I think some people are just sheltered and don't realize the lunitics that walk among us.

I shoot first and ask questions later when it comes to the safety of my wife and children.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Including shouting something like, "I've already phoned the police and I've got a gun aimed at you. Leave my property peacefully and I'll just point them in the direction you went."?

It's the ones who would just take a snide pot-shot at a sitting duck I have objections to, so if you're not one of them, you're cool with me.

Sure.. and take the chance of someone turning around, pointing their gun at YOU and pulling the trigger. Unless I have night visions on, I'll never know it's coming. Sides.. I have a gun in my home. You know how many movements I have to make to be able to shoot someone? no less than 3. Why? Because I dont wanna have a bad dream and kill myself or someone else by accident. You dont wake up fully alert like some people think is possible. You wake up confused and startled, willing to make any of a million actions.
edit on 29-7-2013 by theRhenn because: spelling

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   

actually some states extend castle doctrine to cars as well as houses and yes what he did was legal and will be cleared of charges most likely,like it or not its the law don't wanna get shot don't go wondering around peoples windows and yards in the middle of the night.why are you so against a persons right to defend them self

‘There exists a law, not written down anywhere, but inborn in our hearts; a law which comes to us not by training or custom or reading but by derivation and absorption and adoption from nature itself; a law which has come to us not from theory but from practice, not by instruction but by natural intuition. I refer to the law which lays it down that, if our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right. When weapons reduce themselves to silence, the laws no longer expect one to await their pronouncements. For people who decide to wait for these will have to wait for justice too - and meanwhile they must suffer injustice first. Indeed, even the wisdom of the law itself, by a sort of tacit implication, permits self defence. Because it does not actually forbid men to kill; what it does, instead, is to forbid the bearing of a weapon with the intention to kill. When, therefore, an inquiry passes beyond the mere question of the weapon and starts to consider the motive, a man who has used arms in self defense is not regarded as having carried them with a homicidal aim.’ (Cicero, Selected Political Speeches, Translated by M. Grant, p.222, 1969.)
hopefully that helps clear up the fact that self defense is a natural rights inherent in all humans everywhere

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

Are criminals a separate species for which normal rules don't apply?

Yes, criminals are separate. It is the law and their willingness to break it that separates them.
The authorities generally don't arrest people for doing the 'right' things, they arrest them for doing the 'wrong' things, that kind of defines 'criminal'.

Since when did the death penalty for attempted theft become acceptable?

In some cases, it became acceptable when Louisiana passed the Castle Law.
edit on 29-7-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

That's right!

In LA, we didn't have the ability till more recently. When I was a cop, if they were killed in your yard, you had better drag them in your home or you were going to jail for murder, and it better not be in their back.

I'm happy they changed it to how it is. There are reasons. Lawmakers didn't just wake up and say.. hell, we should just give people the ability to kill people in their own yards.. just for the hell of it.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

The reason I am calling him a child, is that the laws in most cases, a child is considered a child until the age of consent. And in the State of Louisiana the age of consent is 17. So the person shot is a child.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join