It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New incredible footage of motorist trying to escape japan tsunami

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Most likely those people made it and here is why using logic, math and Tada! a link from the internet.

science.howstuffworks.com...

A typical tsunami approaching land will slow down to speeds around 30 miles (50 kilometers) per hour, and the wave heights can reach up to 100 feet (30 meters) above sea level. As the wave heights increase during this process, the wavelengths shorten considerably. Imagine squeezing an accordion and you get the general idea.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

I think it is safe to say when you see houses floating your way, you better turn around lickidy split otherwise your a$$ is gone!

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Cool video. Didn't particularly enjoy the glib comments though.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth
Most likely those people made it and here is why using logic, math and Tada! a link from the internet.

science.howstuffworks.com...

A typical tsunami approaching land will slow down to speeds around 30 miles (50 kilometers) per hour, and the wave heights can reach up to 100 feet (30 meters) above sea level. As the wave heights increase during this process, the wavelengths shorten considerably. Imagine squeezing an accordion and you get the general idea.

I disagree , although the water wasn't moving very quickly (30-40 miles an hour) you have to realize that that's a wall of water moving in a straight line. If the road they were driving on was at a perfect 90 degree angle from the wall of water and there was not a single obstruction then they might have got away. But as we all know the roads are not made in perfect grids , they twist and wind. Even if the road was perfectly straight but at a 45 degree angle then they would need a constant speed of 60miles and hour without a single stop.

All in all those people were almost certainly swept away with the water.

edit on 29-7-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I imagine there were a few curse words uttered inside that car at the 40 second mark.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
They all didn't outrun that tsunami,even with a hayabusa or Bugatti Veyron they would have to take that swim....

the typical water depth is around 4000 m, so a tsunami will therefore travel at around 200 m/s, or more than 700 km/h.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Makes me glad I just get hurricanes. At least you see it coming and have time to prepare.

I cannot imagine being in that situation. It must be horrible when something like this happens and you know you are going to die if you don't move far and fast asap.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reminds me of this scene foretold by miyazaki:

PonyoRacing The Tsunami

bam!

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
Just imagine, your driving along a peaceful road, probably singing along with the radio, when suddenly, right in front of you, an ocean is coming down the road

If you did not know how to do a three point turn, you sure as hell will be an expert if you make it out.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by 0bserver1
They all didn't outrun that tsunami,even with a hayabusa or Bugatti Veyron they would have to take that swim....

the typical water depth is around 4000 m, so a tsunami will therefore travel at around 200 m/s, or more than 700 km/h.

Looks like the speed was a bit slower, but the fast your driver, the smaller the impact of the water hitting you... almost like surfing lol

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I was impressed that whatever the camera was mounted on survived the carnage seen in the beginning when the bridge was wiped out. You can see a lot of vibration when the water hits, so it's taking a beating, but the camera survived! I suspect a multi-story building with a deep foundation. It is pretty amazing footage to see houses floating by all around it.

Seems like a very odd quote to use in this case. The water depth is nowhere near 4000m in this video so that speed related to 4000m deep water is not relevant here and obviously the tsunami isn't moving at 700km/hr on land, like it does in 4000m deep water. Still, even with much slower speeds on land, it's not easy to outrun unless you have a good head start.
edit on 30-7-2013 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by kykweer

To outrun those waves will indeed lower the impact, I wish It will never overcome me or others. I think seeing the video you would be scared like s#it I hope the people who were on that video can tell there story right now.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by kykweer

Looks like the speed was a bit slower, but the fast your driver, the smaller the impact of the water hitting you... almost like surfing lol

Until millions of tons of water slamyou through something solid like a wall..gnarly dude

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join