It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iconic Ground Zero Photo Nearly Excluded from Museum; Too 'Rah-Rah' American

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   

“I really believe that the way America will look best, the way we can really do best, is to not be Americans so vigilantly and so vehemently,” Shulan said.

Source Article

Apparently, we would "do better" if we acted less American. I'm not even sure how to respond to something like this. Is this a subtle attempt at feeding the "New World Order," or perhaps I'm simply over-analyzing it? What are your thoughts on comments such as these?

Cheers,
Nos

(Note: I was unable to post this in the 9/11 forum due to argumentative posters having that privilege revoked from us, so I've posted it in the New World Order forum instead, as it pertains to both topics. If it needs to be moved, please feel free to do so.)
edit on 28-7-2013 by Nostalgic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Nostalgic

It's almost of the flavor of being historically revisionist.
Who tells the story of what's done and gone makes the story.

Had this photo and other photos similar not been in the public domain, already published, such a scene or similar could very well have fallen to the byway leaving perhaps another story to be told in the absence of this.

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nostalgic

Apparently, we would "do better" if we acted less American. I'm not even sure how to respond to something like this.

One of the messages that was contunually sent out in the aftermath of the attack was the number of people from all around the world that were killed. In an effort to unite the world, we were told endlessly that (a quick look up of stats later) there were 327 non-American people from more than 90 countries.
Bush (and the US Government under him) pushed this "world tragedy" theme endlessly in his efforts to get everyone together to invade Iraq and Afghanistan.

Nor will we forget the citizens of 80 other nations who died with our own. Dozens of Pakistanis, more than 130 Israelis, more than 250 citizens of India, men and women from El Salvador, Iran, Mexico and Japan, and hundreds of British citizens.
America has no truer friend than Great Britain.
Once again, we are joined together in a great cause.

But now... you want it to be a "rah rah" all American patriotic show?

edit on 28-7-2013 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   

“I really believe that the way America will look best, the way we can really do best, is to not be Americans so vigilantly and so vehemently,” Shulan said.

Apparently, we would "do better" if we acted less American.

The way you LOOK best to the rest of the world is to act less like flag waving lunatics and more like human beings.

Much of the world came behind you on 9/11 because for once you were the victim not the perpetrator, but the jingoism and nationalism then subsequent wars which followed ruined all of that sympathy. The sympathy worked in your favor, so maybe this person is saying that this museum and possibly America would do better if it took that angle - not enough was quoted to be sure.

What you may consider a normal level of patriotism, to most of the world it seems extremely nationalist. There must be almost as many flags flown in America as there were in nazi Germany, this sort of flag waving pride doesn't mean the country is heading in a great direction.

edit on 28/7/13 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

But now... you want it to be a "rah rah" all American patriotic show?

edit on 28-7-2013 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

Absolutely not. At no point did I even mention foreign casualties or the sympathy they deserve. However, the tragedy happened on American soil, and the photo being discussed represents the American recovery effort.

The topic at hand is related to whether or not it should be displayed at a 9/11 memorial museum, and specifically whether the comments regarding us "doing better" if we acted "less American" were appropriate, or had an alternative connotation.

I definitely do not disagree with you, and appreciate your input.

Cheers,
Nos

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by polarwarrior

The way you LOOK best to the rest of the world is to act less like flag waving lunatics and more like human beings.

Much of the world came behind you on 9/11 because for once you were the victim not the perpetrator, but the jingoism and nationalism then subsequent wars which followed ruined all of that sympathy. The sympathy worked in your favor, so maybe this person is saying that this museum and possibly America would do better if it took that angle - not enough was quoted to be sure.

What you may consider a normal level of patriotism, to most of the world it seems extremely nationalist. There must be almost as many flags flown in America as there were in nazi Germany, this sort of flag waving pride doesn't mean the country is heading in a great direction.

edit on 28/7/13 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

I don't think I made my stance clear in the OP, as that was not my intention. I entirely agree with the fact that American patriotism is often sensationalized. This photo, however, was taken during the immediate aftermath of 9/11 in attempt to symbolize our standing together in recovery from a very recent tragedy. If there's any proper time to show support for your country, I would assume that to be it. Not covering the back of your 84 pickup in confederate bumper stickers.

What I consider a normal level of patriotism is the ability to respect your fellow citizens and their rights. You should want to be proud of the nation you call home. It's unfortunate that corruption and lies often prevent this from happening, especially here in the U.S. Flag waving doesn't solve any problems, but in the event of a national tragedy, the ability to stand strong together should not be overlooked.

I don't feel the events that took place months and years after 9/11 have any bearing on this photograph and what it represented at the time, and shouldn't have any effect on the way it is viewed. Comparing the symbolization of unity represented in this photograph to flag waving in Nazi Germany is quite a leap, my friend. In no way am I saying the U.S. was and/or is headed in a good direction. I'm simply implying that if there's ever any time a nation should be allowed to be a little bit "Rah Rah," it should be several hours after a national tragedy has occurred. No?

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   

If only this statement meant 'not invading country after country in the name of installing a new government' I could go along with it. Sadly, it is a statement condemning a few tired, dirty firefighters as too American for raising an American flag at the scene of the World Trade Center collapse.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
All countries do the flag waving thing not just Americans.

new topics

top topics

join