It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spot The Fake Smile

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Sorry if this is in the wrong section. I wanted to share this small quiz with members to see if they spot the genuine smiles or the fake smiles.

In the quiz you'll view a video of a person smiling. But concentrate! You can only view the video once and then answer was the smile genuine or fake. At the end you'll see you're results and we can learn a little of human emotion. I got 13 out of 20 correct. Which surprised me. I guess it has to do with studying people I'm used to spotting out genuine and fake emotions.

Link

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

Spot The Fake Smile Results

You got 14 out of 20 correct

Look at the labels below each image to see which smiles are genuine and which are fake.

Ticks and crosses show which smiles you got right and wrong.

That was a cool test!!

I didn't do as good as I would of liked but according to the website, most people have a hard time doing it, so I am happy with the results!

link   
Cool! I got 18 out of 20 correct. And listed "eyes" as the most important indicator. I think the test probably does have some flaws that could skew the results, but nonetheless it was a fascinating experiment and fun to do. Thanks.
...that's a real smile, btw.

edit on 28-7-2013 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

link   
Hmm..

I did it twice, the first time I ran through it without clicking play. 13/20

I did it a second time, this time watching the video. 13/20

You say you got 13/20

Seems a bit strange...

Half of them didn't even look like they were smiling, but straining their faces to contort it.. Oo

link   
reply to post by The GUT

That was my answer too, the eyes

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

I did the same with submitting eyes. A few looked confusing because I felt they were forced to smile. Which surprised is that I got theirs wrong. Anyhow it's a lesson in psychology. Awesome.

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Interesting. I got 14/20 correct. It was luck.

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
15/20, but i already knew the trick... even though i was still wrong 5 times lol. I wonder if this test is performed while applying for some alphabet agencies.

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by retirednature

what trick is that?

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
17 of 20 and i said head and eye movement was useful to identify fakes.

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71

what trick is that?

the whole involuntary muscle thing and being able to spot fake smile by recognizing particular movement in the eyebrows and/or the lack of crows feet appearing. Although, these tricks don't always work... because by smiling 'hard enough', some people actually do still produce the appearance of a real smile.

this was all explained at the end of the test... just read below the results.

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   

I did read it, but must of missed that part...lol

Or just misunderstood it

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I've gone through some of Ekman's stuff so I did very well. Always interesting to test the skills out. When I first took one of these tests I was abysmal as I didn't know the 'tricks'. After you go through one of those training cds a few times it's very easy to spot the different emotions people involuntarily display on their face. Cool thread OP.

One thing I will say is that not doing well on one of these tests in no way means that you're bad at reading people. You're just not as good at reading expressions as you thought. There are a lot of other things people can pick up on face to face you just can't get from a video/picture.

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I believe anyone who got around 13 has to be on the correct path. The reality is some test subject could of lied about the smile or what they indicate as a real vs fake smile. I clearly saw signs of a fake smile they claimed as real. Eyes are the factor in reading people correctly. If I did that test 100 times i would still believe my 13 is more realistic then if I had received 20 out of 20. I do remember I gave one or to people fake smiles where it was questionable if it was real or fake. Most of the test the smiles seemed forced but there was a slight difference between how forced it was.

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   

14/20. I just finished a nice bottle of wine, though.

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Wow, I got 18 out of 20.
As was posted above, I also listed the eyes as being the most useful indicator.

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
What I'd like to know is what exactly they did to coax a fake smile and a real smile out of the models?

I got 15/20, but only because I'd seen a documentary previously on how the eyes influence smiles.
I think that info has been about as a meme for a while (even in song, e.g., "When Irish eyes are smiling").
Some of the models may be aware of it too, and will thus deliberately use their eyes to smile.

In that sense this information could be a fallacy repeating an assumed construct.

Somebody already in a good mood could smile more intensely than somebody who's had a bad day, although both might feel the same amount of joy or amusement.

So if I want a fake smile, I'll just say to the model "smile, please", like for a passport photo.

But what do I say to get a genuine smile?
"Dude, you've just won a million Dollars?"
That might get a real smile (after some disbelief), with a really nasty frown to follow if it's not true.

So, before I believe this I want to know the exact methodology they used to get a fake smile and a real smile.
Maybe they tickled the models for a "real smile".
You can't simply ask people for a real smile without inducing the emotion.
Maybe they told them a joke, and some just thought it was lame, while others exaggerated their responses to please the photographer.

This could simply be random photos of smiling people with some BBC reporter labeling one "genuine" and another "fake" according to his or her received subjectivity.

It could all be entirely wrong.

edit on 28-7-2013 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   

It appears all these folks were in a room and asked to smile in a "laboratory setting" for this experiment.

Therefore, all smiles are actually fake!

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
They might have been told a funny joke or complimented...what do we do to make friends smile?

I got 19/20 because I just saw the same show, lol. Brain Games, I think it was?

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I got 15/20 correct. If you've ever seen the show Brain Games that's on sometimes, you'd know that the eyes are how you indicate a fake smile from a genuine one. You just have to watch the eyes. Sometimes it's fairly obvious to tell if a smile is forced as the eyes have no emotion in them or barely seem to move at all.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join