It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Make Thread/Never Return

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Why do people posts new threads, then never come back to reply to any of the members posting?
This gets on my nerves just a little bit.

I realize sometimes it is impossible to reply to each and every post, if many are replying. But, when there aren't that many, I feel it is only a courtesy to, at the very least, post a thank you to the group as a whole who did reply, so they know the OP saw it.

Anyone else have an opinion about this?

Oops! Maybe this should have gone in the Rant Forum.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

Perhaps the threads in queston are not showing any signs of productive conversation?

Lots of threads just turn into silly battles of words once someone trolls the thread with a bit of sarcasm... One person starts a landslide of off topicness... and its only downhill from there

I've made a few threads where I've never returned due to the lack of intelligent responses...

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
When you are replying directly to the OP,
do you always use this↓ within your post?

reply to post by sled735

edit on 7/27/13 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Yes, I've had threads where trolls took it over from the get go. But I did come back to say I wouldn't be posting any further.

I'm talking about the ones who post on topic, but never get any feedback from the OP... or anyone else for that matter.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

No, I don't put that in my post because it is already there in the upper right corner.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

I don't know... sometimes threads get no attention...

They're like a flower... once planted it needs a little attention or it dies... or in this case it just slides off the board into obscurity...

Some threads are trolled so badly its pointless to return... unless one intends to start a fight...

In most cases I would rather the thread die then start an argument...

On the other hand its possible the OP just had nothing else to say about his thread...

OR...

People didn't use the reply to button...

Please refer to my sig...

edit on 27-7-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I consider a post to be on its own if its some kind of information which should be posted for all to see......
.....The primary aim being to inform......
When one is posting a thread aimed at getting dialogue started, that's different.
It is certainly a good idea to tend your threads, but not always nessessary to...............

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by sled735

No, I don't put that in my post because it is already there in the upper right corner.
That's what I meant. It depends on which 'Reply' you use. The 'Reply' that's furthest up towards the top of the page, will not add that to your comment.

I just thought that maybe you weren't aware of the notification area of your Inbox which informs you each time someone posts a direct reply to you.

lmao. I just noticed this↓.

Originally posted by sled735

Oops! Maybe this should have gone in the Rant Forum.
The best part about it is that since you have not edited the OP, then you obviously typed the 'ooops' before you even posted the thread.... lol

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, I just think it's funny.

edit on 7/27/13 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
When I make a thread I try to respond to everyone that reply to me, when it gets to several pages and I feel the point has been made I tend to bale baring anyone making a direct response to me with a good point.

BUT i have posted a thread or two with information I simply wanted to get out there and have been guilty on baling on that once or twice.

Usually though I feel if someone took the time to respond to a thought I had I better take the time to acknowledge them (even if I don't agree)
edit on 27-7-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

I agree with that.

I have posted in a couple lately where the OP specifically asked if anyone else had experiences like theirs. Four or five people posted right away. That was at the first of the week. Now here it is, Saturday, and still no sign of the OP returning. They always show "Member Offline" in their avatar.

Sometimes things happen, I realize, that keep us from being able to get on ATS. But, if you make a thread, I think the person should wait until they know they can return to read the replies, if possible.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
i thinks normal to not reply.. and i dont get why people like you get your panties in a bunch when the op goes away.
i dont think ats is a social website.
no reply probably means you are not very interesting.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Yeah, I typed that once I realized this was more of a rant post. But, I don't know how to edit it into a new forum.

I figure the MODS will do that for me, if it needs to be move.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Just speaking for myself on the threads I OP? I don't necessarily reply to everything where it was a 'Reply' click from my Op message. I don't know if they were talking to me specifically or generally commenting for thread discussion. I reply to most down after that where I've posted again or when it's obviously to me.

Something I've definitely noticed though and I think other people not replying as the OP of the thread have to? If I 'mother' my threads and really post a bit much, like replies to each? (I've done it before and not meaning to be sarcastic) the thread dies about half the time immediately after I've posted more than a couple times early on, especially on the first page. A double or triple back to back set is has almost been like shooting it dead right there, as I learned early on.

Just my observations and why I've personally assumed Ops I see aren't replying or saying as much as they do on other people's threads, often enough.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rikku
i thinks normal to not reply.. and i dont get why people like you get your panties in a bunch when the op goes away.
i dont think ats is a social website.
no reply probably means you are not very interesting.

WHAT?!
You think it's NORMAL to not reply?

Did your parents not teach you anything about being courteous? And you don't think ATS is a social website?

ATS is the biggest social website in the world! It's where people come together to discuss their views on their beliefs, and all that is going on in the world.

I'm sorry... I don't understand your point of view at all!!

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I'm not sure that "Reply button not used" is a good excuse for not noticing a post.
I would have thought that an OP would be able to keep an eye on his own thread without needing that reminder.
When you start a thread, you are subscribed to it, by default, so any fresh replies even on an ancient thread are going to turn up on MyATS.
Starting a thread and then not looking in to see what happens is a little like fathering a child and then deserting the family.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I see what you're saying, too. I just think that after several people have posted, and it seems no more are coming forward, the OP could do one post saying "thank you" to the ones who posted so the members know the OP read their reply.

It's just a general courtesy, IMO.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

There!
That's what I'm talking about!

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

Some people don't use the MyAts button... I rarely even look at the my subscribed section...

For the most part I only use the "recent posts" button... and check my replies, so if someone replied to me without using that button I might miss his response once the thread has a few pages

I suppose it depends on how one uses the site...

edit on 27-7-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

if i post something. then it has nothing to do with me, so i shouldnt reply.
things are clearer if people keep their opinions to themselves.

of coarse it depends on the subject, but id like my thoughts to be from the info not from strangers opinions.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Yep. If I just want to voice my opinion with no expectation of a reply, then I hit the "post reply". But, if I do expect a reply, I use the "Reply To" button. But, I don't always expect a reply from that one either. I use it to show which member I am replying to.

I've been here awhile now. I know which buttons are which.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join