It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anyone ever done any logging

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I need some help and input on Logging, I never had someone come in and do logging for me before and I don't know much about it, the only thing I keep hearing are loggers are thief's.

I only have a few acres (8) that I want to due a clear cut on one Acre and select cut on the rest, there are some big oak trees 70-80 feet high with a girth of 2 -3 feet, I also have only 3 red pines that tower over the oaks that have girth of about 3-6 feet.

Looking for any information besides going to the county guy who I would have to pay a % of the profits to to come out and look at my trees.

Like I said I don't know much about logging and what to watch out for.

thanks in advance for the help.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
You would be better off going to a logger directly, ask around, there are some honest ones. Make sure all the trees you want to save are clearly marked. Some loggers are good about selective cutting, others are better at clear cutting. The most valuable trees are probably the ones you want to save, I doubt if it would be worth having it done. Buy a husky chainsaw and save the wood for campfires. Do the clearing over a period of years. Be careful, find an old relative who has cut and have him teach you how to safely cut trees down. Maybe they got an old saw that they will sell you cheap.

Ask yourself, why do you want to destroy the little forest in the first place though. All the bugs will move into your house and buildings

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
If its mostly pines i would let someone cut them and take them all. If you have a lot of hardwoods i wouldn't give them away. The bigger diameter and height the hardwood, the more valuable. Black walnut and cherry are among my favorites.

There is just something about the look and smell of hardwood.....it gets me going.
edit on 27-7-2013 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by 19KTankCommander

I had about 9 acres of timber logged and it was the biggest mistake i ever had made. I thought i was being careful with whom i had doing the logging but my land got tore to hell and i got ripped off 600$. My suggestion is if you are going to do logging find someone who uses mules, or find some one with a portable sawmill and do it yourself.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Sounds like you have a very small job,
The local mill will send out a log buyer....he will cruise the timber and make an estimated price y specie usually....perhaps the hardwoods go separately to another place....so gegt some offers......don't be afraid to ask more than one source.
It would help if you had truckloads of each tyoe....
how many loads do ya recon?

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Hard to say, I would guess about 15 loads plus, the land I own butts up against county land on three sides and nothing has been touch for over 40 years so there are a lot of mature trees. The red pines alone would be two or three truck loads just by themselves.

top topics

join