It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No bugs? Quick question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Pretty sure this time of year my porch lights have always been infested with all kinds of bugs and moths. However this year there aren't any. With the bees dying by the millions, are other little creatures affected too?

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 03:52 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 04:09 AM
link   
#10 No kidding. Here too. I saw this in June. No June bugs. Not a single one. Few moths. There are some fireflies. And plenty of flies. Something is wrong, naturally. I guess we have to look forward to some top notch media assaults to keep our minds occupied.

What's next on the agenda..birds? Even the Japanese beetles are in few numbers. I see we still have worms. Last year they were green. I never saw a green worm before. The latest in death science is selling the idea of a 'cascade of death'. They selected the color blue for this. It is a feint. It is a cover for some new....thing, being manipulated. They did their study using worms. The articles cite green and blue as the colors of death. I smell a RAT. A big fat one with a lot of backing in high places.

The resident expert has blown off any contribution to the radiation problem, since quipping that it 'harmlessly disperses' like 'mixing a drink'. Now he's busy propping up GMO's, monsanto. I figure that indeed we have a little problem. Also, ley lines are being shattered as fast as they can frack. This aids in disharmony of everything under the sun. I hear that there are worries that the new gas/water holocaust will affect how beer tastes. As below...so above. Imagine how much methane is being dispersed into the air, so they can bottle a small fraction of it. And then tax us for it, the air, I mean.

When barry stated in SOTUS that 'amerikans have the right to have safe homes', he means mold inspections, by feds, with recording equipment, in your home. Central Services at your service. The data centers are hungry. Their only defense is a offensive attack. They think of everything, since we don't...

It's the quietness that caught my attention. Crickets. As in...none. Like a presage to doom. A very late start to Summer this year, under a grey sky, all Spring.

Well...don't do 'something stupid', like get bit by a mosquito. You have no idea where it's been.

edit on 27-7-2013 by TheWhiteKnight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 04:18 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWhiteKnight

It's the quietness that caught my attention. Crickets. As in...none.

You should've seen the shock on my face as I read this. I don't remember hearing any crickets this year.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Last year I had less bugs than normal. I was happy, because I knew the exact cause. Geckos. Literally, at night I could turn on the lights in the house so each window lit up. Hundreds (if not more) of geckos would come right to them. We stood inside and would watch, they were bug eatin' like you wouldn't believe.

Man those things were cool. This year, I have lots of bugs, and the most geckos I've seen at one time is five.

Best case, you have a natural predator taking care of things for you. Worst case....

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ameilia
reply to post by jiggerj

Last year I had less bugs than normal. I was happy, because I knew the exact cause. Geckos. Literally, at night I could turn on the lights in the house so each window lit up. Hundreds (if not more) of geckos would come right to them. We stood inside and would watch, they were bug eatin' like you wouldn't believe.

Man those things were cool. This year, I have lots of bugs, and the most geckos I've seen at one time is five.

Best case, you have a natural predator taking care of things for you. Worst case....

Probably should have mentioned I'm in Massachusetts. Where are you with all those geckos?

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 04:51 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Same in the UK, hardly any insects apart from lots of Green Bottle flies.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Southwestern Ontario here, lots of flies, ants, flying ants, wasps,carpenter bees, lots and lots of earwigs (yech), grackles, robins, a few white butterflies. Didn't notice the May flies or June bugs, i think crickets make their presence know in late August. We had little white knats that hovered around in June/July but they are gone now. Have not seen many worms and they usually come out after a good rain and we have had plenty of that. Being on Lake Erie we usually have a large amount of spiders and they don't seem to be as pesky this year.

This year was supposed to be the 7 year invasion of the Cicada but I don't hear any.

Cicada 2013 a bust?
For many in Central Pennsylvania, and beyond, Cicadamania 2013 was bust. To their great disappointment or their great relief - perspectives vary widely - the noisy, clumsy 17-year periodical cicadas of Brood II were no-shows this spring and summer across much of their expected range.

I wonder if the cicada killers will show?

The Cicada killers are coming...
The invasion of periodical cicadas is over, but a second insect invasion looms. Sphecius speciosus, the Eastern cicada killers, have begun to emerge. And they make the national media hype over the cicadas look rather misplaced. Hunting, warring, patrolling, tunneling, they do more in two months--the length of their adult lives--than periodical cicadas do in 17 years.

edit on 7/27/2013 by whatnext21 because: additional info

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I'm in a neighboring State to you. You'll probably hear the crickets in August. I wouldn't worry until then. I'll have to pay attention to see if I hear any tonight.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
reply to post by jiggerj

I'm in a neighboring State to you. You'll probably hear the crickets in August. I wouldn't worry until then. I'll have to pay attention to see if I hear any tonight.

We had plenty of June bugs this year, but I don't remember being pestered by Mayflies. Also, with the news about brown bats going extinct from that White Nose disease I expected to be plagued by mosquitoes. Haven't seen even one.

The local store has outside lights running along the entire building. Every summer these lights are totally swamped with flying bugs. Do you think that maybe this will start happening in August? Funny how I never put a particular month to these things and only thought of it as a summer occurrence.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by whatnext21

This year was supposed to be the 7 year invasion of the Cicada but I don't hear any.

These are the bugs that buzz in the heat, right? We have the occasional Cicada every year, but no buzzing in the last heat spell we had.

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I'm in Texas. And my lack of geckos problem this year is caused by an armadillo living in my yard. It's eating them. I'm glad the armadillo is happy, but man I'd sure rather have the geckos. Husband and I loved watching them and loved the lack of bugs.

You could still have a predator around suppressing your bug population though, it just isn't geckos. Google might be able to help out. Also, if for some reason you need the bugs that are missing, you can search for how to attract that type of bug using plants or whatever.

Watching the natural order of things around the home is very interesting.
edit on 7/28/13 by Ameilia because: clarification

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Originally posted by Night Star
reply to post by jiggerj

We had plenty of June bugs this year, but I don't remember being pestered by Mayflies. Also, with the news about brown bats going extinct from that White Nose disease I expected to be plagued by mosquitoes. Haven't seen even one.

The local store has outside lights running along the entire building. Every summer these lights are totally swamped with flying bugs. Do you think that maybe this will start happening in August? Funny how I never put a particular month to these things and only thought of it as a summer occurrence.

I think you guys were sprayed for mosquitos this year wern't you? I got bit by a few this year. Hate them with a passion! I wonder what the numbers are in our bat population since that disease. Poor little things! We seem to have little beetle bugs, hornets, bumblebees, lots of big black ants etc. Can't say I have seen many moths but I'm not out much at night. Been seeing dragonflies here and there. Lots of worms. BARF!

I havn't seen those huge black beetles in years. God,they were huge,you could put a saddle on some of those things.
Grasshoppers seem to be rare around here these days though I have seen a couple.

top topics

join