It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tax reform proposals to be secret for 50 years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
WTF? Why keep proposals secret?

CNN

A memo sent out on July 19 promised to mark all submissions "COMMITTEE CONFIDENTIAL. NOT FOR DISTRIBUTION. DO NOT COPY. These materials may not be released to the public from the National Archives or by the Finance Committee prior to December 31, 2064."

What are they trying to hide?

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
WHOA! ! !

They are talking about the largest redesign of our tax system in living memory, at least, and they want to start right out by making large aspects of it secret and forbidden knowledge for the public they SERVE and who PAYS them?

Oh HELL no I say. I'll get off my duff and send some paper mail by stamp and envelope over this. Thanks for the catch and share. I need to check into this but I think I'll actually snail my feelings to my reps tomorrow.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Here`s why:

The leaders of the Senate Finance Committee last month asked senators to submit written proposals detailing tax breaks they'd like to see preserved once the tax code is reformed and explain why.

The only way a proposal could be made public before Dec. 31, 2064, is if it "has been modified in such a manner that it could not potentially identify the source of a submission."

The senators don`t want the people to know who is greasing their palms.Any senator who gets involved in this is a crook and should be voted out solely on their participation. There is absolutely no reason why the people shouldn`t be able to know who their senator is trying to preserve tax breaks for.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
From you link

The same aide said "the 50-year rule is the practice for all congressional committees and generally covers oversight and investigative materials and related work product, as well as all nomination materials."

That's news to congressional scholar Thomas Mann, who said he's never heard of the practice and said it sounds "gimmicky."

"It's one thing if they wanted to have some closed hearings for a general discussion before proceeding to an open mark-up. That would be constructive," Mann said.

But by treating the proposals as confidential it means a senator can argue for a tax break on paper but then attack it publicly if that suits his political interests.

My obvious guess is they are hiding their interests in big bank/corporations who fill their pocket and they don't want the public to know.

We the People are supposed to know what is going on and what the people we elected are doing.

Wonder why faith in government is failing. Crooks...all of them.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
It just occurred to me. This does a WHOLE lot more than just allow them to argue on the floor against a tax break they submitted themselves. These Senators are not Islands of civil service duty. They own businesses or their spouses do and families own more.

Secret? This means that can tax break their OWN BUSINESS directly and openly ...but it won't be entirely open, now will it? Not for 50 years.

Which is easier? Looking over every tax break and then the names of all 500+ members, + spouses, + family for cross checking business on this whole stinky mess? Or...being able to just check the smelly tax breaks to the member directly tied to it?

Oh... this smells of outright and blatant corruption, the more I think about it.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   
If any reform is actually accomplished do you think they'll notify the world even if the 50 years isn't up yet??

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   
WOW, how do we get rid of these crooks?

There is a landslide of corruption taking over this country.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I understand a need for secrecy about a number of things that could entail the safety of our nation and people, like secret weapons or who is a double agent, etc., but the use of stamping something as Secret for the purpose of avoiding embarrassment or hiding links that are very likely corruption in government..... is criminal. Of course.... its the criminals that make the laws now, isn't it? Too bad there isn't a "None of the above" on our ballots.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   
A friend once told me a story. He had served hard time at Pelican Bay State Prison, a super-max penitentiary that houses some of the most violent criminals.

He hadn't been their long. When one day while in the cafeteria he was called a [SNIP] by another inmate. The verbal attack was witnessed by every inmate in the cafeteria.

As he sat down next to a cell mate. The cell mate instantly got up and before moving to another seat in order to avoid him, said that if he didn't strike back, he would become the prison [SNIP].

A few days later he took a couple of heavy cans of Spam out of the kitchen, dropped them into a sock, and used the homemade blackjack to beat and gravely injure the inmate who had humiliated him in front of the prison's general population.

From that moment on, and until the day he was released, no one disrespected or challenged him.

What's a possible moral of this story?

“Most of our obstacles would melt away if, instead of cowering before them, we should make up our minds to walk boldly through them.” -- Orison Swett Marden (1850-1924).

Our government is a bully, it is corrupt. Its criminal politicians will continue to destroy this country until the American people find courage to remove them from their positions of power.

edit on 26-7-2013 by seasoul because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join