It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christian Manipulation of Media

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I saw someone on Facebook share this story below, and something didn't seem quite right about it, so I did a little research.

...the story is a complete lie...

Link

Pastor Jeremiah Steepek (pictured below) transformed himself into a homeless person and went to the 10,000 member church that he was to be introduced as the head pastor at that morning. He walked around his soon to be church for 30 minutes while it was filling with people for service....only 3 people out of the 7-10,000 people said hello to him. He asked people for change to buy food....NO ONE in the church gave him change. He went into the sanctuary to sit down in the front of the church and was asked by the ushers if he would please sit n the back. He greeted people to be greeted back with stares and dirty looks, with people looking down on him and judging him.

As he sat in the back of the church, he listened to the church announcements and such. When all that was done, the elders went up and were excited to introduce the new pastor of the church to the congregation........"We would like to introduce to you Pastor Jeremiah Steepek"....The congregation looked around clapping with joy and anticipation.....The homeless man sitting in the back stood up.....and started walking down the aisle.....the clapping stopped with ALL eyes on him....he walked up the altar and took the microphone from the elders (who were in on this) and paused for a moment....then he recited

“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’ “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

After he recited this, he looked towards the congregation and told them all what he had experienced that morning...many began to cry and many heads were bowed in shame.... he then said....Today I see a gathering of people......not a church of Jesus Christ. The world has enough people, but not enough disciples...when will YOU decide to become disciples? He then dismissed service until next week.......Being a Christian is more than something you claim. I'ts something you live by and share with others.

The story is already spreading fast on the internet. Here's a couple examples:

annasmind.wordpress.com...
www.blogster.com...

When I searched the Pastors name on Google, only references to the above story came up.

...red flag...

..and when I did a Google Image search, the lie was exposed.

The picture that is being said to be of the "Pastor" is actual of a homeless man from Richmond, Surrey.

www.flickr.com...

Your photo is going around Facebook with a story of christians being narrow-minded. Is this truly your photo? No offense, just weeding out all the possibilities...

It is my photo. The man could often be seen around Richmond, and has been photographed by others. I made a contribution to him for the picture. Copyright theft is rife on the internet.

How do Christians expect us to believe anything that is written in the Bible when practices such as these are common place?

How can a "Good Christian" create such an easy to discover lie, and feel that he/she has done "God's Work"?

....You are simply telling falsehoods...

...however...

Thank you to whomever started this lie, for it has only made me see even more clearly the conspiracy that is religion, and the manipulation of society done in it's name.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
All organized religion should perish from the Earth being mostly a compact of lies (also see my tagline).

I am not saying beliefs should perish. Everyone has their own personal belief and code they live by, which is perfectly fine. Believe in anything from Jesus to the Flying Spaghetti Monster. That is your choice.

Just don't make it my choice or degrade me because I do not believe as you do.

Simple as that... or at least I wish it were that simple.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
All religious institutions are rife with hypocrisy. That's the main reason I stay away from them.

Honestly, I wish it were a true story, it just shows that many of the people that profess to follow Christ and his teachings are posers who leave the devil at the door when they walk in the church on Sunday and pick him back up when they leave.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

I'm not surprised by this because whether it's religion or politics or whatever. People will gullibility believe whatever propaganda and then spread it like a virus. By nature we're very irrational and gullible. Stories like these are easy to disgust for people who want little to no effort in supporting their beliefs.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
This is why I have a hard time believing much of anything unless I am there to witness it first hand and even then it might be sketchy...

But this is nothing new nor is it any tactic only used by a Religion and who knows if this isn't an anti-religion tactic? Little double cross is always possible.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

who really cares? You believe or you don't....you don't like what you are reading or hearing...turn the page or shut it off.....don't blame the religion blame the morons who are pushing it....you can make a similar argument for guns...don't blame the gun blame the boob using it....so enough is enough bashing religion or defending it...none of you are perfect and that includes me...

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   

He asked people for change to buy food....NO ONE in the church gave him change. He went into the sanctuary to sit down in the front of the church and was asked by the ushers if he would please sit n the back. He greeted people to be greeted back with stares and dirty looks, with people looking down on him and judging him.

These are luke warm or backslidden christians who are more interested in money than being written back into the Book of Life.

There are true Christians out there. They are the remnant of the Lord. There are very few of them and satan will gladly order non-christians to build concentration camps to gas ALL christians.

And its already happening with the word FEMA Camps.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

You call it a lie? I'm surprised. It looks like absolute Truth to me. I'll go further and say it is Truth. A terrible, sad shameful, Truth, but Truth nonetheless.

When Jesus said that His listeners could tear down the Temple and He would rebuild it in three days, was He telling the Truth? Of course He was, even though the temple wasn't torn down and He didn't rebuild it. He still told the Truth that has been shining on us for centuries.

When someone tells his wife that she is the most beautiful and perfect woman in the world, is he telling the Truth? Of course he is, and only a pinched, dry, pedant would bring up the slight twist in the loved one's eyebrow, or freckle on her nose.

When a story on the internet relates that some Christians judge by outside appearances, is that the Truth? Yes, I'm ashamed to say.

And is it the Truth to say that some Christians fail to have the words of Jesus and the Bible burned into their hearts and minds? That they fail to live by those words? Yes, yes, it's all true. I know because I'm one of those weak and feeble followers.

How do Christians expect us to believe anything that is written in the Bible when practices such as these are common place?
I expect you to believe in the Bible because it is Truth and because it inspires people to spread stories like this one.

Do you believe this story was spread to persuade people of the existence of a Pastor Steepek? That's silly, of course it wasn't. It was to teach Christians to see "Pastor Steepek" in everyone we meet and love them as God wants us to. Spreading that story is clearly doing God's work. But perhaps, you're not clear on what God's work is? I suspect that you're not for you keep insisting that spreading the Truth is spreading a lie.

it has only made me see even more clearly the conspiracy that is religion, and the manipulation of society done in it's name.
My experience has been that an unfortunately large part of religion is being manipulated by society. Gay marriage, easy divorce, abortion, etc. Do you believe that's religion manipulating society? I must laugh if you do.

But if religion is able to have some small effect on society, I rejoice.

edit on 23-7-2013 by charles1952 because: Spelling

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Even if that particular story is not true, I personally know "religious" individuals, and even congregations that are exactly like that. Probably why it spreads like wildfire, because a lot of us know people exactly like that.

It seems to be a story, invented to make people think. I see nothing wrong with that, people really do need to think a lot more.
edit on Tue, 23 Jul 2013 16:25:51 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

Stories like this one are based on emotion. They want an impulsive reaction, so they aim for your heart-strings. Why? Well, because the religious-minded know very well by now that their beliefs, superstitions, and rituals do not hold water when placed under scrutiny.

They cannot logically convince you to join their flock, or to become an active member of their congregation, because there is no logic behind their dogmatic creeds. Instead they aim to make you feel guilty, angry, ashamed, or empathetic over a cause.

Exactly what this phony story espouses: "Christians, our faith is under attack, and instead of becoming more devout disciples, we are giving in to the demands of the world! We must reaffirm our oaths to Jesus Christ, and redouble our efforts to live the life we, as Christians, ought to be, based on the holy scriptures!"

This exact same kind of story shows up any time that our country progresses, moving away from out-dated scriptural edicts, and into the future of harmonious unity. African Americans earned the right to vote? Churches went absolutely crazy discussing how it wasn't right. Evolution taught in schools as part of the science curriculum? Same thing. Women allowed to vote, receive fair and equal pay, and have equal rights as men? Turn on the guilt-trip!

I wouldn't be surprised if this is showing up in response to the "gay agenda", or something to do with "Obamacare" and other things the right-wing conservative fundamentalists disagree with.

In short, they appeal to emotion because reason defeats them every time.

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Wandering Scribe

Dear Wandering Scribe,

I know from past experience that you are not a fool or a stupid person. That is why your post confuses me. What do you think the story is intended to accomplish? Convert non-believers to Christianity? I hardly think so.

Exactly what this phony story espouses: "Christians, our faith is under attack, and instead of becoming more devout disciples, we are giving in to the demands of the world! We must reaffirm our oaths to Jesus Christ, and redouble our efforts to live the life we, as Christians, ought to be, based on the holy scriptures!"
As you point out this is being addressed to those already Christians, so the earlier part of your post doesn't seem to apply. According to you, the story says that Christians are becoming more worldly and less Godly. I agree with you there. Most Christians agree with you.

Then you note that the story calls on Christians to lead better Christian lives. I agree and approve. Do you think that Christians should be either more worldly or lead worse Christian lives? Really, I can't make out your objection at all.

But now in reading the rest of your post, I understand your objection. You think that if people are better and more faithful Christians they will oppose some position or initiative you support. You are calling for people to not seriously practice their religion so they won't hinder what you want, or think society needs.

That's not the most persuasive argument I've heard you offer. And, I'm sorry to say, not the most logical. Your position is that your beliefs are more valid or logical or whatever, and so people must give up their religious principles to fall in line with yours. That's going to be a tough sell.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
One religion has built hospitals, leper colonies, dug water-wells, sent missionaries to starving people, provided help and assistance in building houses, clinics, schools. And it teaches respect for all, and treating others as you would like to be treated. It's guiding instructions boil down to the 10 Commandments, the Sermon on the Mount, and belief in forgiveness of sins. It is, of course, Christianity. Do we have charlatans and hypocrites and TV money-lovers?? By the boat load. But don't judge us by those who take advantage of us, or who act in non-Christian manner.

Islam and Talmudic Judaism are hateful, controlling, and frequently murderous to non-members--exactly as instructed by the Koran and the Talmud..

Buddhists and Sikhs seem quite honorable, but , to my knowledge, their good-works for the less privileged do not compare to those of Christianity..
edit on 23-7-2013 by MuzzleBreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

I'm not even Christian and even I was thinking to myself "what the h#ll does it matter if it's a true story or not?" when I read your post.

This story has a very important message to it. Its purpose is to make you look inside of yourself, ask yourself 'what would I have done in that situation?' This has nothing to do with whether or not you are a Christian, it has everything to do with the level of compassion that each and every one of us shows towards our fellow man. It doesn't matter at all whether or not this story is true, it is the message that is true.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
And if it were true the passage of scripture used is completely out of the context Christ spoke of it with. Jesus was talking about the "sheep and goats" judgment He will enter into with those who are alive on Earth at His second coming. It will judge people on how they treated the Jews and the nation of Israel during the Great Tribulation. The ones who treated them harshly will go to hell, the ones who treated them with love and compassion for their emense suffering during those 3 1/2 years will enter into the kingdom and be allowed to live out the rest of their days.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by MuzzleBreak
One religion has built hospitals, leper colonies, dug water-wells, sent missionaries to starving people, provided help and assistance in building houses, clinics, schools. And it teaches respect for all, and treating others as you would like to be treated. It's guiding instructions boil down to the 10 Commandments, the Sermon on the Mount, and belief in forgiveness of sins. It is, of course, Christianity. Do we have charlatans and hypocrites and TV money-lovers?? By the boat load. But don't judge us by those who take advantage of us, or who act in non-Christian manner.

Islam and Talmudic Judaism are hateful, controlling, and frequently murderous to non-members--exactly as instructed by the Koran and the Talmud..

Buddhists and Sikhs seem quite honorable, but , to my knowledge, their good-works for the less privileged do not compare to those of Christianity..

but the problem with that is instead of just helping (like doctors without borders do) they have the old carrot and stick aproach, you can have your school/well/hospital or whatever but first you have to agree to follow our nonsense religion

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Terminal1

Legalism in religion is what i find most detestable,along with the usual hypocrisy of course.Religion can be powerfully addicting and enslaving in spite of all the abuses that are 'inherently' found therein.However,i believe that people have to have a good 'spiritual path' to follow, and nourish a healthy belief in a Supreme Being...ie, God, the Creator, The Holy Spirit, the Lord Jesus Christ.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

It will judge people on how they treated the Jews and the nation of Israel during the Great Tribulation. The ones who treated them harshly will go to hell, the ones who treated them with love and compassion for their emense suffering during those 3 1/2 years will enter into the kingdom and be allowed to live out the rest of their days.

Wait... exactly what part in the sheep and goat chapter does it specify Jews or the great tribulation?

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 03:36 AM
link   
OP

Thank you to whomever started this lie, for it has only made me see even more clearly the conspiracy that is religion, and the manipulation of society done in it's name.

While I understand your frustration at hearing a falsehood through a channel you rely on for facts, there is nothing "Christian" about the story. It is older than Christianity. It is in Genesis, and Greek mythology as well (googlebing Philemon and Baucis)... it is a human story, not a "Christian" one. The unidentified stranger who asks for hospitality turns out to be a god, or an angel, or somebody else you'll have to deal with. The moral of the story is "Be hospitable." (If you know somebody in the military, their version is "You'll never know when the test will be.")

OK, it's a myth. You are entitled to have your communications plainly labeled. But people tell stories; that's who we are and what we do. You may also be sure that some of the people telling the story are anti-Christian (it seems to say that Christians are hypocrites. Uh huh). It is not "Christian manipulation" of anything.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by garret

Originally posted by MuzzleBreak

but the problem with that is instead of just helping (like doctors without borders do) they have the old carrot and stick aproach, you can have your school/well/hospital or whatever but first you have to agree to follow our nonsense religion

Untrue. One is given the opportunity to hear about the religion that brought aid and effort.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Hello again, Charles.

These type of appeals-to-emotion are always geared toward increasing the congregation size. Reminding Christians that they're supposed to be "good people" as well as devout followers of Jesus Christ is two-sided. Not only does it encourage them to pay more attention to the Bible (something I personally feel many Christians are in the dark about), but, it also encourages them to go and spread the word of Jesus Christ, to bring the Gospel to those less fortunate than themselves.

That second bit is where my dislike comes in. There's nothing wrong with being a good Christian, with honoring deity and spirituality as you see fit. Such is your right as a human being. When you're encouraged though, to go and try to make other people believe in the same things as you, that's where I get suspicious. The Word of God shouldn't need proselytization. It's God's Word, and God's Word is His will. If He wants someone to know of Him, of Jesus Christ, and the kingdom of Heaven, what's stopping God from spreading the Word Himself?

This is where the kicker usually comes in. The reason for Christians needing to reaffirm their oaths and loyalty to Jesus Christ is always, always, always because something worldly goes against a perceived rule in the Bible (African-American civil liberties, inter-racial marriage, women's rights, gay/lesbian equality, stem-cell research, abortion, and so on, and so forth). These type of "Christians, reaffirm the faith!" stories almost never show up unless the Church believes it is being "oppressed" because something they dislike is becoming accepted.

There's nothing wrong with having your own faith, and your own spiritual motivations. There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with my opinions, my values, and my ethical stance. What is wrong, and what is almost always the cause of these appeal-to-emotion stories, is disagreeing with basic civil liberties. These stories don't show up when Christians are making headway in government and the private lives of the citizenry. They were conspicuously absent when the African-American population were still second-class citizens, when being a homosexual was considered a mental disorder, when inter-racial marriage was deemed a sin.

Change one of those things though? Out pops the "affirmation brigade".

It's especially telling in this case, as the Church is not taxed. All of the monetary assistance the poor, the homeless, and those less-fortunate than us receive, comes from part of our taxes. If this Pastor, and the Church itself, were really concerned with giving to the poor, with taking care of their fellow man, and being God's gift to the Earth, then they would let themselves be taxed, so part of the billions Churches take in every year could be used to help those poor, homeless, less fortunate people they claim to want to save.

~ Wandering Scribe

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join