It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dubai pardons woman at center of rape dispute

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Nice to hear this story has a good ending

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — With her passport back in hand, a Norwegian woman at the center of a Dubai rape claim dispute said Monday that officials dropped her 16-month sentence for having sex outside marriage in the latest clash between the city's Islamic-based legal codes and its international branding as a Western-friendly haven. Dubai authorities hope the pardon of the 24-year-old woman will allow them to sidestep another potentially embarrassing blow to the city's heavily promoted image as a forward-looking model of luxury, excess and cross-cultural understanding.

story

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Dubai looks like so much fun, I watched a few shows on Wealth TV yesterday about it. I even looked up some hotels, and found some really cheap ones for less than $200 USD that look AMAZING.

It's stuff like this though (strict Islamic law) that would keep me on the other side of the world. No thank you. I'll go to Hawaii instead.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
Nice to hear this story has a good ending

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — With her passport back in hand, a Norwegian woman at the center of a Dubai rape claim dispute said Monday that officials dropped her 16-month sentence for having sex outside marriage in the latest clash between the city's Islamic-based legal codes and its international branding as a Western-friendly haven. Dubai authorities hope the pardon of the 24-year-old woman will allow them to sidestep another potentially embarrassing blow to the city's heavily promoted image as a forward-looking model of luxury, excess and cross-cultural understanding.

story

That last part.

Dubai authorities hope the pardon of the 24-year-old woman will allow them to sidestep another potentially embarrassing blow to the city's heavily promoted image as a forward-looking model of luxury, excess and cross-cultural understanding.

To late, its already embarrassing how backward sex equality is there.

Charging a rape victim...

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
Dubai looks like so much fun, I watched a few shows on Wealth TV yesterday about it. I even looked up some hotels, and found some really cheap ones for less than $200 USD that look AMAZING.

It's stuff like this though (strict Islamic law) that would keep me on the other side of the world. No thank you. I'll go to Hawaii instead.

Yea loads of fun, theres many reasons BEYOND the back wards laws to not go there, HEAT for one, and you know all those super expensive buildings never bothered with proper infrastructure, like water and waste management.

So there's the daily parade of septic trucks to deal with, causes traffic jams even.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Yet again . . . tourist money seems to still talk some in some circles to some degree.

International furor is still a potentially worthy force . . . while we can still register such . . .

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I have been to Dubai

and I have been to Damascus

Dubai is fake

Damascus is beautiful, its true and full of life.

I only wish the western/arab backed coup would backfire asap so the Saudis, qataris and western governments get a taste of their own medicine

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Come to Dubai, get gang raped and get a pardon for breaking Islamic law!

I rather go to Mexico hahaha.
edit on 22-7-2013 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

top topics

join