It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Squirrel vs Snake

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Ok so the commentary in the video is a bit lame but I have to admit I've never seen a squirrel this aggressive.

Part Mongoose eh?

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
That was amazing, odd....almost unnatural.....almost.

Nature amazes me in new ways all the time.

Squirrel +1

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Mortal Kombat:

Squirrel 1
Snake 0.

Flawless Victory

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I was glad to see that the snake didn't win this time.I had watched
a documentary this morning about pythons in florida.The pythons
have been eating the deer,alligators,raccoons and they are working
their way up the state.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   

I have seen it all now.. Killer squirrels..!

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
WTH.. the snake should win, what a coward snake!

Maybe it wasn't venomous.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Epic battle!

Ninja Squirrel- Defender of the Universe!

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
That is one hungry squirrel..

no doubt about that!

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Way to go squirrel.

Still the snake might have won in the end if he had venom. Death from the grave.

-SAP-

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   

However, some squirrels also consume meat, especially when faced with hunger.[6] Squirrels have been known to eat insects, eggs, small birds, young snakes and smaller rodents. Indeed, some tropical species have shifted almost entirely to a diet of insects.[11]

Huh, news to me! I'm considering breeding an army of carnivorous ground squirrels to do my bidding now. When I take over I will rule fairly, but my furry justice will be doled out swiftly and without remorse. Your stars and flags will not save you from my wrath. Cabinet positions are filling quickly, so get those applications in!

On a slightly less drunk/self important note, does anyone know what kind of snake that is?

Hurr Durr Wikipedia Isn't A Source. Too bad.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 02:56 AM
link   
What a bloodthirsty squirrel!

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 03:12 AM
link   

does anyone know what kind of snake that is?

Probably a dead one very shortly!

Looks like a Top end carpet Python or a brown tree snake (night Tiger) though!

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Woh!

Should we all start to worry next time we see a squirrel as its had a taste of snake, it might like a taste of human

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Nasty squirrel. I was unaware squirrels would attack like that. Not a fan of squirrels, it looked like the squirrel was not really eating the snake, as some posters speculated, but more attacking it to drive it away or kill it which ever came first. Squirrels look cute, but they are pests, imho. Poor snake.

edit on 22-7-2013 by Iamschist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

I've been cultivating a relationship with a local squirrel. I call him Mr Peanut. He comes to our deck first thing in the mornings and welcomes the sunrise with me while I have my first cup of Joe for the day.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

To each his own. Like I said they are cute. When he chews your wiring and sets your house on fire, you might not be so fond of him.
I kept a bird feeder, but I could not keep the squirrels out of it. I have three walnut trees and a pecan in my yard, it is not like I don't support them already. Squirrels are the greedy, aggressive bankers of the animal world, imho

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Amen! Dang squirrels get more of my pecans than I do, and I have 3 big pecan trees. The cats get one every once in a while though.....Thundercats, Hoooooo!!!

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Mr Peanut has confessed to hording nuts

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Squirrel vs. snake: Bet on the squirrel
California ground squirrels have learned to intimidate rattlesnakes by heating up their tails and shaking them aggressively.

Because the snakes, which are ambush hunters, can sense infrared radiation from heat, the warming makes the tails more conspicuous to them — signaling that they have been discovered and that the squirrels may come and harass them, said Aaron Rundus, lead author of a study in this week's online edition of Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

The tail "flagging" places the snakes on the defensive, he said.

Adult squirrels are not the snakes' prey, Rundus said in a telephone interview. The adults have a protein in their blood that allows them to survive the snake venom, and they have been known to attack and injure snakes, biting and kicking gravel at them.

Rather, the snakes are looking for immature squirrels, which they can kill and eat, said Rundus, who did the research while at the University of California, Davis.

Researchers are not sure just how the squirrels cause their tails to heat up, but apparently it isn't just a reflex, because they do it only with rattlesnakes.

Confronted by gopher snakes, which can't sense heat, the squirrels wave their tails vigorously, but don't bother to heat them up.

So how did the researchers discover that the squirrels heat their tails?

The researchers were studying how squirrels reacted to various predators and noticed that with rattlesnakes they waved their tails even more in dark conditions than in the light. That prompted the researchers to view the encounters using an infrared camera, and they discovered the squirrels' tails were much warmer than normal when dealing with rattlesnakes.

Rundus said the study serves as a reminder that to understand more about animal life, researchers need to pay close attention to how animals act. "There is potentially a lot going on out there that we're not aware of," he said.

seattletimes.com...

At least this is one explanation. Weird.

top topics

join