It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NSA Surveillance Program Extended By Court, Intelligence Officials say

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Washington Post

A secret court on Friday extended the National Security Agency’s authority to collect and store the phone records of tens of millions of American cellphone customers, the top U.S. intelligence official confirmed.

The decision by the U.S. Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act court amounted to a routine renewal of the legal framework for one of the government’s most sensitive and controversial data-collection programs. But it was the first time U.S. officials have publicly acknowledged the step.

It seems like people get more upset that Obama says he could have been Trayvon Martin, than the Administration saying that warrantless wiretapping and phone record metadata collection doesn't violate the US Constitution. Black people, Liberals and 'Martin activists' are so emotional that the President making such a statement is only going to result in riots and race wars, we're also apparently easily distracted sheep. Ironic.

Wired

The Obama administration for the first time responded to a Spygate lawsuit, telling a federal judge the wholesale vacuuming up of all phone-call metadata in the United States is in the “public interest,” does not breach the constitutional rights of Americans and cannot be challenged in a court of law

Why is the Right wing media and it's audience not talking about this? Why is Snowden being demonized and the continued burning of our Constitution being ignored? Oh cuz the Pres is race baiting again... couldn't be their media race baiting, distracting from an issue the GOP doesn't want to talk about, could it? Nah it's them people!

Give me a break.
edit on 20-7-2013 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
And people still doesn't believe that America is no longer a Democracy buy dictatorship, but still denial is a power blinding disease

We are all the enemy regardless because the corruption in the nation within the government has gotten out of hand, those that hold the power wants control of the population.

America, the corporate dictatorship.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

America, the corporate dictatorship.

Exactly.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
So the secret court issues a not so secret order (for a change) to allow the secret programs to keep recording secret data on our private living.

Yup... That sounds like Bad News Friday's type of announcement alright. Remember when Friday's weren't something to dread for what new bummer would hit going into an otherwise decent weekend? I think Bush started the Friday Follies practice and it's become a regular tradition I tell ya.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Completely agree with you!

I had a woman call me a piece of *bleep* because I said things like this should be what everyone is talking about because it affects EVERYONE instead of going back and forth on a trial that's over.

Her reaction was "So you think race issues don't matter?!"

But she thought this was a non issue because she "has nothing to hide" Oh well...

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Benoit84

Race issues do matter. Getting angry because the President speaks on them to the point of exclusivity of other issues though?

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Obama's comments on the Zimmerman case are wholly inappropriate for a president to make in the first place. Racial issues are important in the correct venues at the correct times and should not be a focus of a nation that is coming to grips with scandal after scandal in a failing economy, especially in light of the recent revelations that your government will spay on the most personal aspects of your life, it doesn't consider it wrong and it will continue to do so.

There is plenty of black on black, white on black, black on white and everything in between crime every day across the entire nation, the Zimmerman case was nothing special, sadly. It is statistically speaking a complete and total non issue. Are there, has there been and will there be racial related crimes committed? Yes, there will be, we don't live in a utopian society and human nature is flawed, we are going to have to get over it and face facts.

I agree in debating the merits for arguments about the zimmerman case at home, with friends or on forums as it relates to racial issues but I disagree that as a nation we should be focusing on it publicly in any official capacity because in case you hadn't noticed, our country is a political and financial train wreck and there are much more important issues for our emperor to speak about.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

And every car in that train wreck matters, pretending one issue doesn't exist isn't going help anything.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Constitution founded a Republic....

#justsaying..

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

There is a reason we pledge allegiance to "The Republic". Democracy is mob rule, and only descends into despotism. Go ask Aristotle and Plato.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Benoit84

I would have replied : "No, race issues don't matter, because racism is stupid. Aside from skin color and genetic disposition what is really all that different about us? We sleep the same way, eat the same way, listen to music, put our pants and shoes on the same way. We are all united, and unity goes far. Forcing the illusion of separation through racial tensions? That is just destructive."

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

It seems like people get more upset that Obama says he could have been Trayvon Martin, than the Administration saying that warrantless wiretapping and phone record metadata collection doesn't violate the US Constitution. Black people, Liberals and 'Martin activists' are so emotional that the President making such a statement is only going to result in riots and race wars, we're also apparently easily distracted sheep. Ironic.

All he had to do was speak on NSA spying, but he didn't because that was not 'worthy' of his time.

Why is the Right wing media and it's audience not talking about this?

Why isn't the Left wing media and it's audience not talking bout this?

Because they are too busy trying crucify a guy and the NSA is an administration issue and they don't want to say nuthing bad about it.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Left wing media and activists are talking about it, I know you confuse left wing media with MSM but it's not. Why would Obama speak on it when he's complicit in it?

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
reply to post by neo96

Left wing media and activists are talking about it, I know you confuse left wing media with MSM but it's not. Why would Obama speak on it when he's complicit in it?

Are they organizing NSA protests?

And the rest of all cool stuff?
edit on 20-7-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Are they organizing NSA protests?

And the rest of all cool stuff?

Yep.

Restore the Fourth

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
No offense here but that article is a joke:

The suit challenges one of the most controversial provisions of the Patriot Act — Section 215 — that allows the secret Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court to authorize broad warrants for most any type of records, including those held by banks, doctors and phone companies.

As they have always had that power since 1978.

The Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978 ("FISA" Pub.L. 95–511, 92 Stat. 1783, 50 U.S.C. ch. 36) is a United States law which prescribes procedures for the physical and electronic surveillance and collection of "foreign intelligence information" between "foreign powers" and "agents of foreign powers" (which may include American citizens and permanent residents suspected of espionage or terrorism).[1] The law does not apply outside the United States. The law has been repeatedly amended since the September 11 attacks.

en.wikipedia.org...

It was expanded in 1995

Omnibus Counter Terrorism 95

And again when GW came in to office.

Why are left wingers and NSA activists acting like Spying is new?

Hell NSA spying has been going on since the cold war.

From Truman all the way up to Carter,Reagan,Bush, Clinton,GWB, and Obama.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

"foreign intelligence information" between "foreign powers" and "agents of foreign powers" (which may include American citizens and permanent residents suspected of espionage or terrorism)

So every US Citizen fits in those parameters? You realize that what Snowden leaked was that EVERY phone call of EVERY citizen has been kept record of. I don't know about you but I have no connection to any foreign intelligence or power. Why are there records of all my phone calls?

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

So every US Citizen fits in those parameters? You realize that what Snowden leaked was that EVERY phone call of EVERY citizen has been kept record of. I don't know about you but I have no connection to any foreign intelligence or power. Why are there records of all my phone calls?

Which most people already knew they had been doing for decades long before he ever came along.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by VeritasAequitas

Remember that the Federal government killed the Republics a long time ago with debt, loans and promises.

The corporate dictatorship is now ownership of states in the nation or else.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by Kali74

Which most people already knew they had been doing for decades long before he ever came along.

Which people suspected but couldn't prove now it's proven so we can actually do something about it, unless of course black people talk about being black and get the some people all too frothy to think straight.
edit on 20-7-2013 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Which people suspected but couldn't prove now it's proven so we can actually do something about it, unless of course black people talk about being black and get the Right all too frothy to think straight

Nice condescension there really.

Contrary to that belief I don't give a ratt's behind about race, or the NSA, but hell insult anyway.

Job well done.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join