It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OMG! I've Grown Up To Become My _______!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
LOL Is there anyone here that DIDN'T know the two most common words that could finish the exclamation of OMG! I've Grown Up To Become My _______! (Mother! Father!)

Seeing as I was bored out of my mind this morning I started wondering if I had become my mother. Yes, I am male, but I never met my alcoholic father, and he died at the age of 45. I don't drink at all and I'm still kicking at 58, so I'm definitely not him.

I don't think I took on too many traits of my mother either.

She loved steak, real butter, and Coke (the beverage, not the drug).
I love chicken, Country Crock margarine, and ginger ale.

All through my young life my mother napped on the couch.
I can't sleep unless I'm in bed.

My mother thought of me as her property to do with as she pleased.
To me, my daughter has always been a separate individual with a life of her own.

My mother was a manic-depressive.
I am not.

There are a few similarities, however.

My mother smoked.
I smoke.

She enjoyed Bingo.
I hate Bingo, but I still like to gamble.

She was a loner.
I'm a loner. Funny thing is she never failed to inform me that my head was always in the clouds (daydreaming). She never realized that, with her being a loner, she was always inside of her own head too.

So, how about you? Did you turn into your mother/father?

edit on 7/20/2013 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
My dad was a hard worker, never took a sick day in his life that I can remember, and even when he was on holidays, he worked. He was a night watchman, gate keeper, truck driver, it was all early starts, early to bed, and even being disturbed from it all would not shake his routine.

He didn't drink a drop. Maybe a nip before bed to sleep. (possibly his trick!)

He ate fatty food like it was the his last meal. I saw him put eggs on his fried butter once. It was a result of being English, where you had meat with your grease. He drank coffee like it was ice cold water.

Did not touch alcohol. Smoked like a chimney.

My old mum was tighter than a mozzies bum. The sort who would have no problem telling a mother what an ugly kid she has and not realise it sounded like she just told the mother that she has an ugly kid. And occasionally "Oh thats a horrible name" would be heard after asking "What is his name?"

Drank like a fish. But stopped. Smoked like a chimney. But stopped.

I have no idea who I take after. I eat reasonably healthy. I don't smoke tobacco. I used to drink like a fish. But stopped. Well I say stopped, I prefer to consider it always an option but one I choose not to partake in. Simply because I know if I deny myself something I want it even more.

I work hard when I'm not hardly working. So I put my old mans memory to shame...

I dunno, I really want a coffee but I really need to go to sleep. I grew up to be all over the place I think.. Oo help

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Growing up I was influenced by my family. I'm a Californian born & raised and I got my Southern accent from them. Today we're very different. Complete opposites as being their son was the only thing keeping them from hating me. If I was a random stranger they would dislike me for my politics, views, customs, etc.

My parents are very conservative, too nice, here today type of people. I'm more independent who is influenced in what the future holds. Even though we're always early for appointments. I wish we had a scheduled and better way to live than what we have now.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
OMG! I've Grown Up To Become My Cat Frisky ...

I sleep or rest a lot and so did Frisky. I have a very strict diet and Frisky only ate certain cat foods. He was finicky by choice, and I'm careful due to my health. I have an attitude and really don't want to have anything to do with most people that I meet but I deal with those that I have to. I can't stand crowds and neither could Frisky. He didn't like it when we'd have company and I don't like having people over either. He had one girlfriend/best friend and I have my husband/best friend. He didn't make any babies and I didn't give birth to any (We adopted). He didn't like to 'play' and do stupid cat tricks. I don't like to play and do stupid human tricks. He had a loud 'meow' when he wanted something and I can get mouthy. Frisky had health issues and needed to be put to sleep early. I have health issues ... (but so far I'm still here).

Now that I think of it ... Charlie Sheen has grown up to be just like my first cat Hoppitty. Hoppitty was a mutt of a cat ... got lazy and a bit crazy ... indulging in whatever satisfied his baser urges. He ate what we gave him and then he'd go out 'mousing' for days at a time without us seeing or hearing from him. He 'made babies' all around the neighborhood with all the female cats .. including with his own mother. One day in December, Hoppitty went out into the night to go 'do his thing' ... (indulge in mousing and carousing). He never came back. I imagine Charlie Sheen will go the same way ... disappear on a bender sex/drug trip to Indonesia and we won't ever see him again .....

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Oddly i've turned into my stepfather.

He use to drive me batty with his quirky mannerisms and weird rules.
No talking at the dinner table, no talking during his shows (not even one word), don't eat dinner don't get dessert. he'd make a fresh batch of brownies on nights that yucky dinners were served (liver) and then set the brownies next to the table and raise an eyebrow at us (he hated wasted food). He was an enthusiastic hiker dragging us kids all over, loved his music, and very very stubborn.

I catch myself acting much the same way as him at times. I hate talking at the dinner table, I know it's suppossed to be family time but like my dad I don't want to see half chewed food. I do the same thing with dessert tell them what it is before dinner and watch them grimace as they eat or go without( I too hate wasted food). I too take my kids out hiking on a regular basis. I love music and can't imagine life without it. And lastly i'm very stubborn as well.

My mom (rest her soul) was a lovely sweet woman who unfortunately was constantly depressed, napped all day on the couch and rarely enjoyed herself. I am nothing like that, always on the go, hardly ever depressed and am always trying to find ways to enjoy my surroundings and life in general.

Oddly I even look like my stepdad and am left handed like him as well.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Very amusing post......thanks for the laughs.

Cats are fun and can be very human in their behaviors at times. It's weird how they change us and we change them.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I have very few behavioral similarities with my parents (other than being open minded and having a wicked sense of humor) but as I age I've noticed that the older I get i look more and more like a cross breeding of them both. I consider that to be extremely fortunate as both are still extremely good looking and either could easily pass as being 10-15 years younger than their actual ages.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
OMG! I've Grown Up To Become My Cat Frisky ...

I sleep or rest a lot and so did Frisky. I have a very strict diet and Frisky only ate certain cat foods. He was finicky by choice, and I'm careful due to my health. I have an attitude and really don't want to have anything to do with most people that I meet but I deal with those that I have to. I can't stand crowds and neither could Frisky. He didn't like it when we'd have company and I don't like having people over either. He had one girlfriend/best friend and I have my husband/best friend. He didn't make any babies and I didn't give birth to any (We adopted). He didn't like to 'play' and do stupid cat tricks. I don't like to play and do stupid human tricks. He had a loud 'meow' when he wanted something and I can get mouthy. Frisky had health issues and needed to be put to sleep early. I have health issues ... (but so far I'm still here).

Now that I think of it ... Charlie Sheen has grown up to be just like my first cat Hoppitty. Hoppitty was a mutt of a cat ... got lazy and a bit crazy ... indulging in whatever satisfied his baser urges. He ate what we gave him and then he'd go out 'mousing' for days at a time without us seeing or hearing from him. He 'made babies' all around the neighborhood with all the female cats .. including with his own mother. One day in December, Hoppitty went out into the night to go 'do his thing' ... (indulge in mousing and carousing). He never came back. I imagine Charlie Sheen will go the same way ... disappear on a bender sex/drug trip to Indonesia and we won't ever see him again .....

What you wrote here is just wrong! Maybe that's why I loved every word of it!

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by brandiwine14
Oddly i've turned into my stepfather.

He use to drive me batty with his quirky mannerisms and weird rules.
No talking at the dinner table, no talking during his shows (not even one word), don't eat dinner don't get dessert. he'd make a fresh batch of brownies on nights that yucky dinners were served (liver) and then set the brownies next to the table and raise an eyebrow at us (he hated wasted food). He was an enthusiastic hiker dragging us kids all over, loved his music, and very very stubborn.

I catch myself acting much the same way as him at times. I hate talking at the dinner table, I know it's suppossed to be family time but like my dad I don't want to see half chewed food. I do the same thing with dessert tell them what it is before dinner and watch them grimace as they eat or go without( I too hate wasted food). I too take my kids out hiking on a regular basis. I love music and can't imagine life without it. And lastly i'm very stubborn as well.

My mom (rest her soul) was a lovely sweet woman who unfortunately was constantly depressed, napped all day on the couch and rarely enjoyed herself. I am nothing like that, always on the go, hardly ever depressed and am always trying to find ways to enjoy my surroundings and life in general.

Oddly I even look like my stepdad and am left handed like him as well.

That sounds like a DNA test is in order. I mean, if you even LOOK like him.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

You know i've said the same thing as a joke, though I have the distinct memory of my mom and I meeting him when I was little.

It's odd, my mom always said my biological dad looked like David Lee Roth, (wishful thinking perhaps?)
neither my stepdad or myself bear any resemblance to him. Funny how things work out in the end.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

My father was an alcoholic cad that would actually introduce me to his girlfriends when I was young. Guess he didn't know I would remember just about everything going back to less than a year old. The memory of the man he was has driven me my entire life to be what i am: an ultra loyal and faithful husband to my wife, father to my kids, and son to my mom. I remember how everyone who knew him later in his life (befire he died driving drunk) was ashamed of the man he was. How he tarnished and stained the only thing he ever gave me: my last name.

Where I live, no one else has my last name. And its reputation is sterling. I teach my sons that they share my name. That I have given them something that they can be proud of. But that they damned well better take care of it, lest they just piss on me.

I may be somewhat like mom, in that i am empathetic to a near disastrous degree. But that is about it.

join