It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Hidden world of Models

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Watching this video you will find a cross over drugs, anorexia, prostitution, and abuse.
Due to the fact there are no regulations and rules in this industry for the poor girls/boys.

www.youtube.com... - Here is an expose .

They have said its a dilemma that is getting worse and because these women/guys are getting massive amounts of money the issues are being ignored. They have stated that the girls/boys are picked young 14yrs upwards and told upfront to only eat a rice cake a day.

The desire for the androgenous look is apparently so popular that they cannot argue or risk being chucked out of the industry. www.youtube.com... Official Trailer for film.

Anyone have any ideas of why such an industry is allowed to thrive?

In my mind what's worse is that , people really worship such shallow industries. And ignore the issues that prevail...
edit on 20-7-2013 by FreedomEntered because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 03:04 AM
link   

What a shame...

It's an evil industry...exploiting young girls...taking advantage of girls that they know won't make the big time.

I saw the writing on the wall at 17 and opted out of such a career.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by relocator

That movie can be watched online " Picture me" its called.
Id definitely say its an expose. I imagine it does effect the male models too. I didn't want to say exclusively women. We really don't know what the men go through as they have not yet spoken out !

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by FreedomEntered

Hidden?

Hardly!

A day barely goes by without one of these models being pictured smoking or snorting something or stumbling out of a nightclub out of their minds.

The same goes for film, television, music, sport...

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   

You're asking a question about the perception of Beauty.
It's a sociological question.
Cultures have their own ideologies and archetypes for what they label as "beautiful".
This changes over time, and according the culture.

In some places and times around the world, being shaped like a chicken (thin up top and big in the middle) with an extremely pale complexion was considered the ideal.
Other places, we've the "mother" figure with heavy breasts and corpulent body.

A good place to look for these changes in preference and perception of beauty is to survey art throughout history in every culture.
We've institutions like foot binding, head shaping, scarification, tattooing, neck elongation, teeth blackening, teeth filing, piercings, and many others including whatever hairstyle is in fashion.

There are far more permanent modifications to ones body people are still making today in modern times for the sake of beauty all over the world, things that can't be reversed compared to the act of starving oneself for the modeling industry.

Why do people get boob jobs?

It's all for and in the name of what's perceived as beauty.

edit on 20-7-2013 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

I am not asking a question of beauty. I am saying the model industry is UNREGULATED meaning abuse can accur and these teens are not protected.

The reason they get SO THIN is due to the fact designers believe their clothes look better on them this way - end of. Its the designers who decide what goes.

But say take somewhere like Spain they now have it regulated because they understand that women/men can get into drugs and so on just to stay thin.

What beauty is - is as they say in the eyes of be beholder ,culturally also.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   

What do the parents of these teens have to say?
They're still the legal guardians and have say-so over what their children do right?

Anyone under the age of legal consent and legal responsibility, I would think, would fall under the jurisdiction of their parents, and if there's any question of abuse, it should then also fall on them.

Are you asking for more government regulation of yet another thing to be regulated by government while everyone else is talking about how sick they are of government in their lives?

These models don't have to be models. They could just as well apply themselves toward getting an education in a field that pays just as well.
I'm not going to shed any tears over anyone that hurts themselves because being pretty is more important than having an education.

edit on 20-7-2013 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

Watch the youtube video models are being used and because of the PRESSURE of the industry, they want to be there for money and glamour . So these models are sometimes feeding their families to stay in the industry.

Because they are such high earners. They don't have the choice but to fly off here and there. Many wont have their parents with them 24/7 as its a very busy industry. Where they will have to do a lot of shoots. So it requires a lot of time.

Yes, I am saying that we should follow Spain where they refuse to let models on stage who are below a healthy body fat level. And that the photographers and designers should have to explain themselves when they cross the line and demand unfair - and unhealthy levels of eating from their models.
As well sexual abuse shouldn't be tolerated as it is currently.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   

As Druscilla has explained very patiently, the fashion industry is a product of popular conceptions of beauty. It is as old as the hills. Women have hurt, maimed and occasionally killed themselves to look beautiful throughout history. Ancient Egyptian cosmetics were lethal to their wearers. Roman matrons, eighteenth-century European beauties and Japanese women of the samurai class used white-lead-based make-up to lighten their complexions and died of lead poisoning. Chinese women were crippled by foot-binding, a practice designed to make the foot look smaller and, to contemporary Chinese eyes, more beautiful. Modern western women wear high heels, which also deform the foot and cripple the wearer over time.

This kind of thing has gone on around the world throughout history. It still goes on today, and it will never end so long as women desire to make themselves lovelier. You can read a few more examples of 'suffering for beauty' here.

And yes, of course, there have always been moralists to inveigh against such practices and call for them to be abolished. You are just the latest in a long line of critics of fashion that includes Seneca, the Puritans and, of course, the Taliban.

edit on 20/7/13 by Astyanax because: of an unnecessary conjunction.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I started modeling when I was fifteen, I'll be twenty five this December and I've put the modeling thing aside for the past few years because I'm in law school and it's more important to me to secure a career that won't end when I'm thirty than to pursue a high income job that will (and did) burn me out and wouldn't be an option after a certain age. As far as the eating disorders, they are definitely openly encouraged by those in the industry...as is drug use, which is another way to "positively" alter your appearance (depending on which ones you're given) and to help you work unbearably long hours for travel, shoots, interviews, events, etc. And the drug use is also encouraged because it numbs and buries anything you may feel...and they don't want you to feel anything when they're using you like a porcelain doll in front of the camera and a sex toy behind the camera. There are many reputable agencies, agents, managers, photographers, etc....but there's an equal number of vile, repulsive ones as well. They aim to get younger girls because you can break the minds of children far more easily...they end up feeling more damaged and don't try to give the industry and all of its BS up because their self-worth is destroyed by the abuse and self-destructive habits they're pushed into. Those are the ugly truths of the industry of beauty in the shortest, simplest terms. And no one does anything about it because the western world is one of consumerism...sex sells so as long as there's a steady stream of pretty faces and bodies, society will allow them to continue to be consumed by the industry for the sake of their entertainment. The industry will never change if consumers never care how they get the finished product.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscillareply to post by FreedomEntered

What do the parents of these teens have to say? They're still legal guardians & have say so over what their children do, right? I would think anyone under the age of legal consent & responsibility would fall under the jurisdiction of their parents & if there's any question of abuse, it should then also fall on them. These models don't have to be models. They could just as well apply themselves toward getting an education in a field that pays just as well. I'm not going to shed any tears over anyone that hurts themselves because being pretty is more important than having an education.

Parents of these minors have nothing to say because 95% of the time, they're stage parents that push their kids into the fashion & entertainment industries because to them, their kid is a beautiful, talented paycheck for them to cash in on for as long as possible through any means necessary. They have no problem turning a blind eye to abuse as long as the money comes in. Even though their kid is used, harmed & damaged, they're happy to bask in their kid's limelight, live vicariously through their kid's "success" & line their pockets with money "earned" through their kid's exploitation & abuse. I use the term kid for kids age 0 to 18 because teens are still children too.

You're 100% correct that responsibility & blame for any abuse of minors in the fashion & entertainment industries should fall on the parents as well as the abusers. Parents of abused minors in the industries are almost always aware of the abuse & are completely willing to sacrifice their kids in every way to keep the cash flowing & gain a bit of fame. Parents who allow others to abuse their kids are just as bad as those who directly abuse the kids.

True, models don't have to be models but as stated above, many models get started as kids & are pushed into it by their parents. Abuse against kids while being glorified for their appearance damages their young minds & psyches with the idea/paradox that the only thing they're good for is pleasing others & looking pretty even though they feel like they're worthless, ugly & think they can't do anything right except standing in front of a camera & serving others' desires. They eventually don't even feel like they can do those things right which is why you see so many models/actresses/singers break down in their 20s. They don't leave the industry as adults because the abuse they've endured makes them think that they're not capable of being anything more than what they already are or doing anything other than what they already do. These kids aren't hurting themselves or willingly allowing others to hurt them & being pretty is not more important to them than having an education; they're abused, deprived of their education & told their appearance is all they are.

Regarding education, stage parents take their kids out of school to "homeschool" them in order to have more time to pursue their careers. These kids want to be normal kids; they wanna be in school & around other kids, they don't want to have to constantly perform & be perfect but they're not allowed to live normal lives or pursue their dreams. Their dreams go out the window to be replaced by their parents' dreams. By the time they're old enough to not be under their parents' thumb, they've not only been completely removed from normal life (school, decent education, peer group & friends, childhood, social skills, etc) for years, they've been thoroughly abused & broken. Jumping back into school/college at 18 after being taken out of school at 14 in the 8th grade (some are taken out earlier at an even younger age) & being deprived of real education & social interaction for 4 years (all of high school) would be immensely difficult for anyone to do but is even more difficult for someone who's been systematically abused for years (studies have shown that abuse diminishes victims' IQ & ability to learn & retain information) & taught that their mind is worthless because their only asset is their body. When they try to make more of themselves & fail because they've been deprived of proper grade school education, their self worth & self esteem plummet even further.

There are so many victims of the fashion & entertainment industries that face the above listed problems & I'd shed more than just a tear or two for them. It's tragic that so many kids (children & teens who will grow into the same sort of young adult celebrities that we see falling apart every day on TV & in gossip mags) are pushed into these industries only to have their minds & lives absolutely devastated & destroyed for the sake of the entertainment of the masses & the almighty dollar.

P.S. I love your avatar, Druscilla!
edit on 7/20/2013 by jcutler12888 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I've heard that those models have had MK Ultra programming to turn them into beta model sex slaves & drug mules for the Illuminati. Apparently their programming is turned on by trigger scents disguised as ultra expensive hi end perfumes and colognes. Since these are exclusive fragrances there is less likelihood of them getting accidentally switched into slave mode - but it does happen, hence models' rep for promiscuity!
edit on 20-7-2013 by GrandCourtJester because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jcutler12888

Parents of these minors have nothing to say because 95% of the time, they're stage parents that push their kids into the fashion & entertainment industries because to them, their kid is a beautiful, talented paycheck for them to cash in on for as long as possible through any means necessary.

I don't disagree with this, but surely there is only a relatively small window of time during which models are vulnerable to such exploitation?

For a young girl to model adult clothing, or appear in ads targeting adult consumers, she obviously can't appear too young. It's true that girls as young as 14 have been recruited as fashion models in the past, but I imagine 16 is a more likely minimum age for recruitment (it is also the lower limit for models in NY City, according to this discussion on age limits for models).

So these kids are exploited for about two years before they can stand up for themselves. Yes, that's quite long enough to set up a response cycle of habitual submission to abuse, but when the model turns 18 she becomes responsible for herself in law. Any kind of coercion after that falls under general laws governing the exploitation of labour, which are already pretty comprehensive and regularly enforced in civilised countries.

I think legislating a lower age limit for catwalk fashion models would be sufficient to deal with the worst abuses of the fashion industry. Unfortunately, stage parents have existed since the mother of the Byzantine Empress Theodora presented her daughters as mascots to the Blue faction in the Hippodrome of Constantinople. They will never go away and there is not a great deal that can be done about them. Show business is what it is, and Mrs. Worthington and her ilk will always be with us.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Originally posted by Astyanax

I don't disagree with this, but surely there is only a relatively small window of time during which models are vulnerable to such exploitation?For a young girl to model adult clothing, or appear in ads targeting adult consumers, she obviously can't appear too young. It's true that girls as young as 14 have been recruited as fashion models in the past, but I imagine 16 is a more likely minimum age for recruitment (it is also the lower limit for models in NY City, according to this discussion on age limits for models).

Not exactly. You have to keep in mind that there's much more than runway modeling and adult clothing that's modeled. Most people's minds jump immediately to women's fashion and fashion shows that showcase women's fashion but people forget what's essentially "kid couture" and that children as young as six are modeling for shoots. A well known example of a kid couture brand recently using an extremely young child for their ads would be Dannielynn Marshall Smith Birkhead (the daughter of deceased model Anna Nicole Smith, who was the face of GUESS Jeans in the '90s) being featured as the face of GUESS Kids at the ridiculously young age of six. There are models of ALL ages, and children are no exception to the rule. The recruitment "age limits" are subjective to agencies and the brands and campaigns they're aiming to recruit for...they might have a 14 year old minimum age limit if they're aiming to find a new face for an Abercrombie and Fitch campaign but they'll inversely have a 10 year old maximum age limit if they're aiming to find a new face for an Abercrombie Kids campaign. Appearing "too young" is NEVER an issue in the industry, especially since they're constantly pushing the limits on how "sexy" they can make kids appear and seeing how young they can begin sexualizing children's appearances in ads without risking being reprimanded...for a good example of this, just Google "Vogue Paris Cadeaux Dec 2010 Jan 2011" and you'll feel thoroughly repulsed and creeped out at the images of the 10 year old models in sexually suggestive poses while caked in makeup and wearing high heels and clothes that would be considered by some to be risqué for 20 year olds, all sized down to fit children (creepy side note: cadeaux means gifts in French and the girls featured in the Cadeaux shoot are dolled up and positioned as if offered up as gifts to perverts). An extension of the Vogue Paris Cadeaux example would be their magazine addition called Vogue Enfants (enfants means children in French), which is all children's fashion modeled by children. Also, while some may claim that ads featuring child models are targeted at children, we all know that isn't true...they're aimed at adults who read the fashion magazines and watch the TV channels that feature the shoots and commercials and have the money to buy the products they see in magazines and on TV.

So these kids are exploited for about two years before they can stand up for themselves. Yes, that's quite long enough to set up a response cycle of habitual submission to abuse, but when the model turns 18 she becomes responsible for herself in law. Any kind of coercion after that falls under general laws governing the exploitation of labour, which are already pretty comprehensive and regularly enforced in civilised countries.

While they're minors, they can be exploited for up to 12 years from 6 years old (and in rare cases, even longer from an even younger age) depending on when they get started in the industry...or, to be more precise, depending on when their parents start pushing them into the industry. Yes, an 18 year old is legally responsible for herself but...imagine an 18 year old who's been deprived of a proper education and social growth and micromanaged and abused for 12 years (or even 5 or 10 years under those conditions)...do you think that 18 year old would have the tools, knowledge, strength, or resources to be capable of standing up for herself? Or even to be aware of her rights and know that she's been done wrong and can and should stand up for herself after being rewarded (with money, fame, special treatment, wtc) after being abused and told for most of her childhood that what's done to her is right? And after going through it all, will she even feel like she's worth standing up for or like she deserves better? Sadly, no...probably not. Many victims of childhood abuse, whether through the industry or not, grow up to be young adults with little to no self-worth, an unbearable amount of mental and emotional baggage, and a sense of hopelessness and emptiness that often prevents them from pursuing a better life.
edit on 7/21/2013 by jcutler12888 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

I think legislating a lower age limit for catwalk fashion models would be sufficient to deal with the worst abuses of the fashion industry. Unfortunately, stage parents have existed since the mother of the Byzantine Empress Theodora presented her daughters as mascots to the Blue faction in the Hippodrome of Constantinople. They will never go away and there is not a great deal that can be done about them. Show business is what it is, and Mrs. Worthington and her ilk will always be with us.

Legislation does little to prevent people from doing what they want...laws are just words written in a book somewhere until you get caught breaking them, and the kind of people who abuse children think they'll never get caught and have no respect for the law. I agree, negligent stage parents and child abusers in all walks of life will unfortunately always be around BUT show business is only what it is based on what the public desires, buys into, and allows. Show business can change if enough of the public stops buying into entertainment and products that put children at risk, and stage parents and child abusers in the industry will dwindle as a result. It's up to us to change the world because it won't change on it's own.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 05:34 AM
link   

They are known for making children have adult female clothing now. I am thinking perhaps that this sexualisation of young children and they are putting teenager girls in magazines to sell clothes to adult females.

Is not this this odd?

Its the old thing " youth sells".

I find it all VERY odd. I know most people have accepted this as the norm now.
And even accepted that super skinny is beautiful as the norm.

As well the anorexic look, looks pubescent. I mean with children they are usually naturally tall and very thin. With no real shape as it were.
edit on 21-7-2013 by FreedomEntered because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by GrandCourtJester

This MK ultra thing may not even be a lie. If you watched that video you will see for yourself they said they find themselves in the company of " rich old men" . These young models. I wonder why that is perhaps?

Well the answer is obvious. But I am not sure they need any programming at all. To perform these tasks . At that age just being in that glamorous world is enough to lose themselves. Even adult celebrities do. So imagine the effects on the young.

edit on 21-7-2013 by FreedomEntered because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   
In terms of the MK ultra thing I noticed recently Niomi Campbell had received a house in the shape of the ancient Egyptian eye from her ex billionaire boyfriend who was married at the time of " using her" for distraction.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Here's another victim of the modeling industry...

My daughter likes to watch the next top model...she told me that Alway appeared to have problems on the show...so she was diffidently vulnerable to being taken advantage of...she has made some very bad decisions and now will be paying the price...I just hope that her child is taken care of and doesn't become a victim too...

The shocking mug shot of former 'America's Next Top Model' contestant Renee Alway was released Wednesday after she was arrested for burglary, fraud, and committing a felony while on bail.

Source

Alway, who was one of three finalists on the program in 2007, was arrested June 28 and charged with first and second degree burglary, fraud and committing a felony while released on bail. Police say they found her hiding while armed in the garage of an unoccupied home whose owners were out of the country after concerned neighbors reported seeing a suspicious-looking woman walking around.

edit on 21-7-2013 by relocator because: trying to fix the link

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by relocator

Yes. These women are meant to be role models to even younger girls.

top topics

join