It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Memories may be stored outside the brain

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358
For those that believe in an afterlife of any type, our memories must be stored in our soul rather than in the brain.

Every religion on the face of the planet has an afterlife. If the memories die at the person's death then there can be no afterlife.

I am guessing that those who state it is all hogwash have not considered this point as yet. Interesting times for them as they contemplate this.

P

wow those were my first thought too.

interesting topic OP

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by soulwaxer

Matter doesn't create consciousness. If anything, consciousness creates matter.

yes

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by LABTECH767

Well, all I can say to that is... The new heart also contained foreign DNA. Maybe the DNA being introduced into the hosts system carried with it certain preferences from the original hosts.

Your argument only strengthens the case of DNA passing on information. No need for a "soul".

I am not trying to argue against a soul in this thread though, only that memories can be kept and recovered from DNA.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Well since my memory seems to have gotten lost, where do you think I have stored all those memories, could I be storing them for my next life, because I have forgotten most of what I have learned, and read,

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Could this study be some evidence that the "Akashic records" do exist and that our memories are stored there?

The Akashic records (Akasha is a Sanskrit word meaning "sky", "space" or "aether") are collectively understood to be a collection of mystical knowledge that is encoded in the aether; i.e. on a non-physical plane of existence.

Talk about some serious cloud storage.

Akashic Records

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive
Could this study be some evidence that the "Akashic records" do exist and that our memories are stored there?

The Akashic records (Akasha is a Sanskrit word meaning "sky", "space" or "aether") are collectively understood to be a collection of mystical knowledge that is encoded in the aether; i.e. on a non-physical plane of existence.

Akashic Records

oH yea good point

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
TheLieWeLive's post brings to mind Jung's interpretation of some of the themes covered in this thread: the personal and collective unconscious - often used to explain why so many completely different (and often believed to be isolated) cultures share such similar and rudimentary concepts in their culture and beliefs.

This supports the similarities in religions, but also folk tales, cultural preferences, morality and you could even say some exhibitions of natural instinct. There certainly appears to be support that we accumulate cultural and sociological, if not natural, knowledge and expressions of belief, preference and basic human processing throughout all our successive generations and pass it on. And it often is not a product of teaching and learning, but innate.

Both Freud and Jung used the term archetypes as a label for this instinctual knowledge, especially as relates to common themes in stories and oral tradition which may reinforce that which is already present in our ... minds? To infer this knowledge may not be physically situated within the brain is interesting and provocative.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by The only 1 who knows the
reply to post by Daughter2

Just like the 100th Monkey Theory.

- I am afraid it is unsupported by evidence.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
You know when you look back at old tapes and think "oh god I forgot about that" yep memory stored outside of the brain.

I do see what your saying though. We can already store information in DNA so I don't find it implausable that we already subconsciously store information in our DNA but we just don't know it yet.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
There is definitely a lot of evidence for DNA memory and genetic memory. My dad was listening to C2C one night where that was the topic, and he told me something that I didn't know from my childhood. Before I could really talk more than just a few words I exhibited knowledge of some things I definitely shouldn't have known and had never been told. Scientific/chemistry knowledge that I wouldn't have known but my dad would have.

But also from a spiritual standpoint there is a lot of evidence of spirit/body being an arrangement that can separate, and that the real you can leave your body either at will or under certain circumstances.

So which is it? I imagine it is both, the DNA genetic memory enhances the offspring, but the consciousness (with or without specific memories) are able to exist or do exist outside the body.

The bible makes mention of the silver cord, which is a link between the spirit and body. (there is a wikipedia of it) and the astral projection folks know of it.

My guess is that during life the mind/spirit has the memories of the body, but after death your consciousness/personality moves on but the memories don't.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by kmb08753

What studies have shown, empirically, that we can alter real world objects with thought? Sure it isn't just our perception of those object that is being changed?

While taking hallucinogenic substance many years back, I would swear objects would change shape, but as no one else ever saw the same change, it was clearly just my view that was altered.

I'm not arguing against it per say, a study showing someone changing the real world with their brain would be interesting to me.

But yeah, this type of discussion wasn't the point of the original post.

Reread what you just wrote:

"a study showing someone changing the real world with their brain would be interesting to me."

When you decide to take out the trash, this decision starts in your brain, right? Then signals are transferred to your arms and legs and what not, and then you take out the trash. The result is that the real world has changed.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by R0CR13

I agree Consciousness is energy and part of the field of the universe .

I was so called brain dead from a drowning and was totally conscious .

Some people love to take a phony scientific view while ignoring the true nature of our being .

We are Energy ! Everything is Energy !

And I will not censor myself to conform to the ignorant ... it's time to move on and understand what we really are and how we fit into the universe .

Yes! Everything is energy. Even matter is energy. Energy with form.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Akashic Records

Yes, cloud storage! How do you think we came up with the idea?.....

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hadrian
TheLieWeLive's post brings to mind Jung's interpretation of some of the themes covered in this thread: the personal and collective unconscious - often used to explain why so many completely different (and often believed to be isolated) cultures share such similar and rudimentary concepts in their culture and beliefs.

This supports the similarities in religions, but also folk tales, cultural preferences, morality and you could even say some exhibitions of natural instinct. There certainly appears to be support that we accumulate cultural and sociological, if not natural, knowledge and expressions of belief, preference and basic human processing throughout all our successive generations and pass it on. And it often is not a product of teaching and learning, but innate.

Both Freud and Jung used the term archetypes as a label for this instinctual knowledge, especially as relates to common themes in stories and oral tradition which may reinforce that which is already present in our ... minds? To infer this knowledge may not be physically situated within the brain is interesting and provocative.

Jung rocks (rocked)! He was a true genius.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I give up. Text removed. Please remove this post.
edit on 20-7-2013 by InSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   

This could be something unique to their regenerative ability. Like there is some sort of system that records the state of all bodily cells, a back-up copy, if you will. I'm no expert. But it does offer very strong evidence of literal genetic memory, in my opinion.

Some people think there might be a "conceptual" or purely "informational" source which governs genetic processes.

You pointed out that a lot of our DNA is "junk" i.e. they don't seem to do anything. Only the "master" genes are the lock and key for setting of genetic processes. But how do these processes work? Where's the guide? As you rightly pointed out, how does the worm know?

If the informational hypothesis turns out to be true (something that is not even remotely testable at the current time) it will help clarify the relationship between purely physical processes like RNA/DNA, and the informational processes which embed content in them.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist
Here is an article that supports what you are saying OP, it involves transplanted organs. I had heard of people with transplants having new and odd memories. www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

From the article

However, living systems theory explicitly posits that all living cells possess "memory" and "decider" functional subsystems within them.4 Moreover, the recent integration of systems theory with the concept of energy (termed dynamical energy systems theory) provides compelling logic that leads to the prediction that all dynamical systems store information and energy to various degrees.

Here is another article about heart transplant recipients, not sure about the source.. www.naturalnews.com...

Fascinating phenomena. I should have referenced your post when this was brought up later in this thread.

When I hear about these stories, they more often involve the heart than other organs. I wonder if that's because the heart is so central to our bodies. All your blood flows through it, which then flows through the rest of your body. Maybe it has a stronger chance of "contaminating" your genes. Just a spit ball there.

It does make me wonder how far the connection of genes go toward forming memories/skills in the brain. Language shouldn't be affected by DNA, but the first story in this article suggests new words were introduced by the transplanted heart.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by kmb08753
Memories are stored in your brain, right? You learn something and it gets encoded in some configuration of chemicals in you head. Common knowledge. Not so fast.

I have often wondered how some animals can remember spawning grounds or migration locals without ever having been there. Instinct has always been an unexplained phenomena for me. A recent study I read about has now opened a can of worms.

Michael Levin and Tal Shomrat, at Tufts University have performed an interesting study.
Normally flatworms will shy away from lighted areas and circle around probing for danger before eventually honing in on a food source. They used a punishment/reward training method to train a group of flatworms to recognize a particular surface as safe and containing food. These worms would go right for the food source right away, now knowing where the food was. They used these worms because, while simple life forms, they still have a brain and nervous system.

One other thing flatworms can do is regenerate. After training the worms, they cut off their heads and waited the two weeks it took to grow them back. They then put the worms back in the test environment. These worms were able to hone in on the food with the same accuracy as they did before the surgery! They effectively regrew this trained response from DNA within their bodies.

Here's the National Geographic report:
newswatch.nationalgeographic.com...

This could be something unique to their regenerative ability. Like there is some sort of system that records the state of all bodily cells, a back-up copy, if you will. I'm no expert. But it does offer very strong evidence of literal genetic memory, in my opinion.

Given that what we previously thought of as "junk" DNA has been discovered to have an actual function. I believe in RNA replication specifically, if I remember correctly. I wonder if the day will come when we can learn through DNA resequencing.

well ive already said this here on ats in more than one response. memories are held in consciousness. when memories are called it is consciousness that has devotedly written to that location in the brain. this area is really for storing all your immediate decision making abilities' assets. things that the body can do on it's own with out need for added focus from the spirit for interaction with a person's immediate environment. the ego brain as eastern spiritual doctrines refers to it. there is ego brain (physical), and soul intellect (spiritual/invisible/dark matter producing light charged by consciousness).

every single interaction whether in focus or out of focus of the particular sensory perceptors that has come to the body's consciousness field is stored. a sound you didnt notice, the pattern of a man's tie which was in your field of view but of which u took no particular interest while walking down the street to make note of. all these things are recorded never to be lost. those occurrences which we wish can be enforced to the immediate physical brain.

science is now quickly approaching the dead-end from all angles. it will be forced to acknowledge that consciousness is a vehicle of its own. on our most innermost level, the structures appear to be made of light. with nerves and nerve endings transporting and firing light into the cells of our flesh for sustenance and maintenance. it is when we die the light stops firing.

there is no getting around this, consciousness cannot be broken down and studied with machines. it must be studied by another consciousness. our particular dna code provides us this structure and growth called human. it acts as a bridge between our body/structure and our source of consciousness(invisible). taking commands from the soul.

this further affirms my prediction that Science and Spirituality will unite, thus forming an age of accelerated spiritual as well as technological advancement. buckle your seatbelts folks. we're just teetering around it about now.

edit on 20-7-2013 by filledcup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Akashic Records

If that were the case for the worms, then wouldn't they all have learned from the training? Even the ones that didn't have their brains regrown. The newly learned skill would have been shared through the field to all of them.

Interesting concept, as are many that have been cited here. I think the point here is that the memory of the training was kept somewhere in the worm's mechanism to replicate its head. Such replication of cell tissue was based on DNA, so the DNA somehow had a record of the newly acquired memory.

Please forgive me if I am using "DNA" incorrectly. I am using it as a blanket term for genes, which would include RNA as well. I think RNA actually has more to do with ongoing maintenance of cell tissue. I am not a biologist.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Please pardon this aside...

Woo woo, this thread made the home page of ATS. Must be a slow weekend

I know, you're all like "meh, been there, done that." But I'm new here and it put a big smile on my face.

I am truly happy you are all enjoying my post. I thought it was interesting and so do you, apparently.
edit on 20-7-2013 by kmb08753 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join