It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smile! Cassini sets up photo of Earth-starts at 21:27 GMT and ends at 21:42 GMT

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   

19 July 2013 Last updated at 09:43 GMT

Smile! Cassini sets up photo of Earth

The world is being asked to look up on Friday and smile in the direction of the ringed planet, Saturn.

The Cassini probe, in orbit around the gas giant, is going to take a picture of Earth, and the imaging team wants everyone to wave and smile.

Because of the great distance to Saturn, our home will appear as a mere pixel in the final photo.

But Cassini scientist Carolyn Porco says it is a moment to "celebrate life on the Pale Blue Dot".

"Waving time" - the period when the spacecraft's cameras will be operating - starts at 21:27 GMT and ends at 21:42 GMT (22:27-22:42 BST).

www.bbc.co.uk...

www.latimes.com...

saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...

www.ustream.tv...
edit on 19-7-2013 by MariaLida because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
thanks OP
NAMASTE*******

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Considering Saturn will be towards my East, and just shy above the horizon, it kinda sucks knowing my window of opportunity to wave and say "sheeze" will be blocked by all the damn buildings that are in the way.

I'm in L.A., (PST), so I'll need to get my @$$ on top of one of said buildings in a few hours and wave and jump up and down so Cassini will capture my wackiness forever.

Thanks for the info OP! I'll be sure to keep you in mind while I'm going crazy!

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Dang, if the weather were better I might have tried to image Saturn at the same time (yeah it'd be a daylight shot, but it can be done). Oh well, I do have a backup plan for times like this, it might be worth a shot...

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
50 min left ..

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by the_philth

smile in spirit may it be larger smile then your physical

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by the_philth
Considering Saturn will be towards my East, and just shy above the horizon, it kinda sucks knowing my window of opportunity to wave and say "sheeze" will be blocked by all the damn buildings that are in the way.

I'm in L.A., (PST), so I'll need to get my @$$ on top of one of said buildings in a few hours and wave and jump up and down so Cassini will capture my wackiness forever.

Wait a second ! Is this camera actually going to capture clear enough shots for someone to be seen waving ? Im comfused.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackmetalmist

Wait a second ! Is this camera actually going to capture clear enough shots for someone to be seen waving ? Im comfused.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
For the chronologically-impaired, that's 5:27 PM to 5:42 PM in the U.S. Eastern timezone.

It will be still be daylight, and you won't be able to see Saturn, but it would still be there in the sky.

During that time, Saturn will be:

- Generally south-southeast (SSE) for most of the U.S. east coast
- At about 30° to 33° above the horizon -- or about 1/3 of the way from the horizon to "straight up" (to zenith).

Go outside in about 40 minutes (5:30-ish Eastern Time). Look that direction, and smile for the camera.

I suppose it makes sense that it will be daylight for most people who will have Saturn above their horizon at the time of the picture. For Cassini to see the Earth, it would have to take a picture of its lit side.

edit on 7/19/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Basically a waste of time.

Might make some people happy to think it amounts to something. I usually just go out at night an wave to the spacemen driving the UFOs.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by MariaLida

Cassini is 1.44 billion km far away, but if we all waving who knows

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel

Might make some people happy to think it amounts to something. I usually just go out at night an wave to the spacemen driving the UFOs.

Party pooper.

You have absolutely no joie de vivre whatsoever.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Hopefully, the raw images will appear soon at saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

Party pooper.

Haha. Does sound that way. I'll go out and wave just in case something weird happens. Wouldn't want to have to say I didn't help.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   

I love you!!!

@SoylentGreenIsPeople What about us in Europe, can we see Saturn in mentioned time???

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

Party pooper.

Haha. Does sound that way. I'll go out and wave just in case something weird happens. Wouldn't want to have to say I didn't help.

The idea of waving is just basically a PR stunt -- HOWEVER, it does help raise public awareness of Cassini and its mission.

I liken it to the penny on the Mars Curiosity Rover. The presence of the Penny is Mostly symbolic because that's a common "found item" that geologist uses out in the field when photographing rocks and want some sort of informal scale in the photo. Obviously, a more scientific graduated scale should be used (and is included on Curiosity, along with the penny), but the penny is there as a bit of a public relations thing -- it helps to humanize Curiosity's mission.

Curiosity also has an drawing of a cartoon alien on it called "Joe the Martian", which is another act of public relations, but aimed towards kids and education.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by zilebeliveunknown

I love you!!!

@SoylentGreenIsPeople What about us in Europe, can we see Saturn in mentioned time???

Well I just took this shot of Saturn while remote controlling a telescope in Spain, so I would say the answer is "yes" for most of you in Europe.

img842.imageshack.us...
edit on 19-7-2013 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Live now! Hear CassiniSaturn's team

www.ustream.tv...

events.slooh.com...

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Ya, I know it was to make people aware of the effort and to help keep the public in favor of space exploration.

Too bad most of the people who will be aware of this event are already backers of space exploration.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by zilebeliveunknown

I love you!!!

I just plugged "Paris" into stellarium, and it looks like it will just be setting in the SW about that time.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join