It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: Trayvon 'could have been me'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Why wasn't dialog about his own back yard as important as Sanford,Fla?

What? And piss off those that are going to be anyways?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

He could singly kill cancer and people here would say, "Obama is against organisms."

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

That's politics for 'ya. He's just playing that political card. To think he even cares about the Zimmerman/Martin case is laughable. Let alone the murders in Chicago or anywhere else for that matter.

All politics, but hey at least he's feeding the Trayvon supporters.

-SAP-

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by kosmicjack

it is not his job to comment on local issues, we are nation of many states, many people,and many problems.

You must be joking.

Should we just assume everyone bitching in this thread and the dozen other related threads are all from Florida?

The agenda is we are a nation of 1 people 1 voice not pander to special interests to gain political control.

I'm going to save that and post it the next time you push a speciically conservative/libertarian/GOP issue.

+6 more 
posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Speaking of profiling ....

I have a teenage daughter. When ever we go to the mall the workers in the stores keep a close eye on her. She's profiled as a demographic that needs to be watched more closely in the stores because so many teen age girls shoplift. IT'S A SMART AND REASONABLE THING FOR THE STORES TO DO. I have spoken to her and have told her that when she's near jewelry that she should stand with her hands behind her back and not touch anything so that the store people can relax. I'm not angry at the stores ... I fully understand it. So does my daughter. They watch her ... so what?? There is a reason for profiling ... it's not something that is invented out of thin air.

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   

You must be joking.

Nope

As local LEO cleared Zimmerman the first time.
The FBI cleared Zimmerman the second time.
The State cleared Zimmerman the third time.

And now the DOJ and the Potus are out for a good old fashion public lynching.

Law enforcement, and the judicial process worked, but did not have a preferred outcome so they are going to keep at it until they get what they want.

Should we just assume everyone bitching in this thread and the dozen other related threads are all from Florida?

As opposed to the Potus,Holder, and all those who shout 'Justice for Trayvon' are not from Florida.?

I'm going to save that and post it the next time you push a speciically conservative/libertarian/GOP issue.

Feel free as none of those have anything to do with racism and everything about political ideology.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Look, both are issues.

But there are FAR, FAR, FAR more black men or African-Americans in general who are profiled or denied their civil rights in the course of any given day than there are Blacks killed each year in Chicago.

We should be able to talk about BOTH issues, but the one the President chose to discuss affects exponentially more people.

Most don't get it, can't fathom it, because it has never happened to them.

If you guys really wanted to put your money where your mouth is, you would try to empathize, understand and discuss the issue - not mock it and not mock him for relating to it.

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Trayvon 'could have been me'

Race aside, Trayvon could have been any of us had we been conducting ourselves in the same fashion.

Race aside, Zimmerman could have been any of us had we been conducting ourselves in the same fashion.

Race aside, these were two human beings that crossed paths in an unfortunate incident. A jury of peers reviewed the evidence... this is our way; our system of justice, and they found Zimmerman not guilty of the charges leveled against him.

Race aside, if we were better parents and more attendant to our kin, things like this might not happen as often.

Race aside, if we didn't use race as an excuse for incidents that first and foremost involved human beings... whose blood all bleeds out the same color... we might find other things to talk about.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   

But there are FAR, FAR, FAR more black men or African-Americans in general who are profiled or denied their civil rights in the course of any given day than there are Blacks killed each year in Chicago.

Think profiling is unique only to African Americans?

It isn't.

Think being denied civil rights is unique to African Americans.

It isn't'.

There is not a single group or person who doesn't experience either of those.

We should be able to talk about BOTH issues, but the one the President chose to discuss affects exponentially more people.

When every single person in this country is included in that conversation then maybe things will change.

Most don't get it, can't fathom it, because it has never happened to them.

Yeah they can be it 'Terrorists' Asians,Irish,hispanic,Vietnamese,Chinese,Polish,Germans,Japanese, and ever other demographic in this country.

Sorry to say the African Americans don't own the patent or copy right on those experiences.
edit on 19-7-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
More evidence of those 'subtle' remarks tactics....

Obama: If Trayvon Was White, Outcome 'Might Have Been Different'

It seems Obama is the one doing most of the instigating today..

If's and's and but's are the theme.

“I think, to a sense that if a white male teen was involved in the same kind of scenario that, from top to bottom, both the outcome and the aftermath might have been different,” Obama stated.

Tricky Sneaky

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

And you say this isn't race related? Seems that all this is about is race.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
reply to post by neo96

And you say this isn't race related? Seems that all this is about is race.

Concerning the Potus remarks it was about using race to push a political agenda going after the second amendment and self defense laws since their first attempts failed miserably.

The purpose of the op was to get people to recognize this was race warfare to divide, and now the thread got turned in to it.

Using Race to get a preferred outcome.
edit on 19-7-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

"I think it would be useful for us to examine some state and local laws to see if it—if they are designed in such a way that they may encourage the kinds of altercations and confrontations and tragedies that we saw in the Florida case, rather than defuse potential altercations."

This right here is what I consider the meat of Obama's whole statement. The subtext is clear: Let's place the culpability on the State law in this case, and let's dialogue on how to replace it with one that's more lenient on our black youth.

That is what this is about. It's the opening statement in a debate on how to introduce laws that embrace the concept of Affirmative Action as applied to law enforcement.

I am refusing to get angry about this, and it's catalyst, The Zimmerman trial. It's not the least bit surprising to me, and the only reason I am speaking about it is to be counted as another voice.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Well sadly after all the stupidity that the present black American president has said since the Zimmerman case I have come to the conclusion Obama is not dignified president and that he is pretty much nothing but ghetto trash

And that is my personal opinion given the recent events where his true colors has come forward to show what kind of person he actually is that no even the dignified offices of the president of the US can even take the ghetto out of him.

To this point I don't care if my post is taken away to be too straight forward.

edit on 19-7-2013 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   

"Trayvon Martin could have been me 35 years ago," Obama said

I've had that dream.

(uh oh! I feel "them" watching me already!!!!)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by HauntWok

And he's getting the response that he wants, your rage.

Just keep playing into his hands guys, you know he's setting up the right wing for a fall come midterm elections right?

No, the rage he wanted was in the form of rioting from the black community.

That didn’t work so now he’s making another attempt at stoking the anger.

It seems nobody is playing into his hands……including his voting base.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
This whole thing is getting a bit silly. The President should have made one simple statement in the very beginning about it being a horrible event, and how he wishes condolences to the family. That's it.

He's loosing points with people that might have been on the fence with him. He should be focusing on other, larger issues at hand.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I don't understand what's WRONG with what he said. It's the truth. Maybe you should LISTEN to what he said...

I think it's important to recognize that the African- American community is looking at this issue through a set of experiences and a history that -- that doesn't go away," he said.

“There are very few African-American men in this country who haven’t had the experience of being followed when they are shopping at a department store. And that includes me.”

“There are very few African- American men who haven’t had the experience of walking across the street and hearing the locks click on the doors of cars."

"There are very few African-Americans who haven’t had the experience of getting on an elevator and a woman clutching her purse nervously and holding her breath until she had a chance to get off.”

Source

I know a lot of you think this race thing is being manufactured, but you're wrong. I dated a black guy for a couple years and let me tell you, I got treated differently because I was with him. People watched us when we were in a store. It was SO OBVIOUS! People whispered about us in public. They stared and shook their heads. I have just a TINY bit of experience being profiled and not trusted, simply because of the color of my boyfriend's skin, and that's when I really GOT what white privilege is.

+7 more 
posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Am I the only one that feels it is a bit ironic, that a black man who has risen to the highest role of leadership in the entire nation is going on about how there is still discrimination?

I'm sure there's some (and not just against blacks, but others also, even whitey), but c'mon. I just haven't seen it to any kind of real degree. Granted, I'm white, so haven't been on the end of it, but I'm pretty observant, and haven't seen people I know experience it either, and I know many of varied races, creeds, etc.

He made this a racial issue when it wasn't one, and now he's forced to back pedal, because the justice system made the same determination... He'd be better off never mentioning Trayvon's name again...as he's got egg all over his face now from it....

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by neo96

60+ black kids have been murdered in Chicago since the verdict!! Either Obama is slow at responding or maybe there is another reason….like the shooters weren’t White/Hispanics!

edit on 19-7-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

Woah, 60+ kids? When someone moves to Chicago do they hand them a kevlar vest? AKA "Chicago Uniform". That amount of violence boggles my mind.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join