It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ok What should I include in a generic BOB???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Text

Hello again, I recently made a post about the things I have for a survival scenario. I want you all to tell me what you all have in your BOB. I know that there are millions of different survival scenarios, and each BOB is molded for a specific one. It would be awesome for you to list all the things you have and I guess I can mold my bug out bag contents from the things you have! Thanks again, you all were wonderful in my last post.

Gorgon8819

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by gorgon8819

Simplify it.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I use this as a guide on what goes in my bag...generically speaking.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   

There are 100 threads about BOB's on ATS, friend (Slayer69 even made one with pictures once).

Do a search and you'll be overwhelmed with information.

This video was recently posted on ATS by the member who made it....

edit on 19-7-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Go to any Appalachian trail site or get a book on packing for the Appalachian trail.
You will find extremely good advice and ACTUAL people who have really USED the EQUIPMENT on a long term basis.

I enjoy survivalist sites but the contributors rarely have used the equipment long term.

My basic list for my 500 mile hike on the AT was as follows:

sleeping bag - synthetic and very light is the key.
shelter- plenty of 2 man tents weigh less than 2 pounds now
backpack - don't skimp here. I use mystery ranch brand as is is extremely rugged. It's not as light as other brands but it's designed for serious use.
sleeping pad - thermarest z lite is good
walking poles- (yes, you need these) I used komperdels light -cheap-sturdy
tee shirt -wicking
long johns top - winter
long johns tights - winter
beanie- winter
socks 4 -3 smartwool and 1 plush cotton to sleep in
toothbrush
chlorine dropper with glass bottle
toilet paper
knife - swiss army climber model is good. (one of the smaller models but you need the scissors and can opener)
stove - I use the jet boil with integrated stove. good bang for buck and very efficient on fuel
shell pants -winter
hat- keeps sun off your head
water bag - collabsible 2 gallon I used platypus
rope small - 50" of 550 chord is more than enough
pencil
map of your area topographical, and street
soap- a tiny bottle of camp soap is sufficient
pot - only one pot and maybe a small cup for coffee my pot was the jetboil
drawers 1 pair, non cotton
2 water bottles -lightweight 1 quart or liter-
rag - a small microfiber camp towel weighs a few ounces or use a bandanna
lighter
toothpaste and tooth brush- tiny tube
batteries and flashlight. (small led flashlight is best, very light weight)
spoon and fork- nylon or magnesium spork is good
floss
superglue
sewing needle and a few feet of thread
ultralight mirror
electrical tape or duct tape. roll a few feet around your hiking pole for easy access
ibuprophen/asprin aches and pains
allergy meds
vaseline or similar- chafing
hydrocortizone
immodium - crapping in the woods is no fun even without the runs
safety pins
shoes
shorts/pants
chlorine dropper
3 stuff sacks small nylon bags to keep things organized
frogg togg top, no bottoms
trash bag for a pack cover
food
fuel
water
CASH
plastic bags to waterproof everything

Without the winter items,food, fuel or water my pack weighed 35 pounds. This allowed me to carry plenty of food and fuel. The chlorine dropper was for purifying clear water I found in springs or streams so I could travel without carrying gallons of it.

A UV light will weigh about a quarter of a pound I think and is a good alternative if you have the cash.

You will notice I've mentioned no guns, bows and arrows, bowie knives or samurai swords.
These are not conducive to traveling in a BOB situation or in any actual situation.

In absence of a small and lightweight firearm I would carry my favorite camp shovel sharpened to a knife edge on one side. This was the favorite hand to hand weapon of the Soviet special forces. More importantly it digs holes to crap in and works as a light hatchet.

You must focus on light weight and mobility in a BOB setup because when all else fails, you have to rely on your own two feet.

The food to carry is a whole other thread.

edit on 19-7-2013 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-7-2013 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

You will notice I've mentioned no guns, bows and arrows, bowie knives or samurai swords.
These are not conducive to traveling in a BOB situation or in any actual situation.

Presumably, in a BOB situation, society would be in shambles, and you wouldn't have a firearm with you? Not even a pistol?

Excellent suggestions in your list though.

Do you really prefer walking poles over just finding a walking stick? I guess if going 500 miles...yikes. Glad I'd only have to do 50.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
First thing is training ,training training, then you won't have to ask.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by cavtrooper7

Sure, someone who's been through SERE training could go out with just a decent knife and be OK, but not everyone has such opportunities. Knowledge is the best tool, of course, but hardened with actually DOING it too. I just wish I could go REAL camping more often, (more minimalist). Maybe not that my stepson is around, we could do so, give the wife and my stepdaughter some girl time.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
This is likely WAY more than I need for a 3 day trek home (I work about 50 miles from home), but this kit is also put together with the idea that it may take longer to get home, or I may somehow be stuck longer. I really don't plan on foraging, hunting or fishing, for example, during those 3 days, but if it goes longer, I'd like to have the tools for the option. My idea, assuming I have to leave my truck and get to the ranch, is to either find another (abandoned) vehicle, or then hike home on foot.

IN TRUCK (If I'm in the Truck, and need more gas, a jump, etc., I can use this gear. If I have to leave the truck, I'm putting the backpack on my back, strapping on the pistol, and grabbing the tool bag in one hand, and the clothes bag in the other, and heading for a safe area where I can change clothes (out of my work clothes). Once done, I'll ditch the clothes bag with my old clothes. Will have to ditch the tool bag too, if I can't use it to find another car (depending on the SHTF event).

(Loose) 5 Gallon Gas Jug, Green Tarp, Bungee Cords, Jumper Cables, .22 Revolver Pistol, Ammo, Holster (To Be Worn on Waist) (Ideally, there are better pistols, but I have this one handy, so hard to justify spending the dough on something else)

(Tool Bag) Phillips Screwdriver, Straight Slot Screwdriver, Crescent Wrench, Socket Set, Hex Wrench Kit, Bit Set, Bit Screwdriver, Vise Grip Pliers, Duct Tape, Electricians Tape, Rain X, Anti-Fog, Stiff Wire, Electrical Wire, Flashlight, Slim Jim Kit, Syphon Kit, Hammer

(Clothes Duffle Bag) OD (Olive drab colored) Cargo Pants, OD Fishing Shirt, Undershirt, Underwear, (2) Pairs of Socks, Hiking Boots, OD Baseball Cap (with LED lights), (3) Bandanas, Work Gloves, BG Gerber Survival Knife (To Be Strapped On Leg, also has Whistle and Firestriker), Small Knife (Ankle Strap, Worn Under Socks)

IN CLOTHES POCKETS (If you haven't done it before, you'd be amazed how much you can fit in some pockets). Sounds like a lot, but really, it is all pretty small and light...and spread out, not really much weight. (TS means Travel Size). The maxi pad, tampon, and condoms are NOT for their usual purposes. Pants and Shirt both have quite a bit of pockets.

(Fishing Kit, in Altoids tin and plastic wrap inside) Fishing Line, Small Bobber, Sinker, (2) Hooks, (2) Lures, Eyehook Screw (for attaching line to a found pole)

(Cigarettes, in Altoids tin and plastic wrap) For trading if needed (I don't smoke, this is SHTF money)

(Cash ($50, 5 $1's, 1 $5, 2 $20), in Altoids tin and plastic wrap)

(Small First Aid Kit in small plastic container) Band-aids, Antibiotic Ointment, Tweezers, Antiseptic Wipes, Foil Wrapped (4) Aspirin, (4) Ibuprofin, (2) Strong Pain Killer, (2) Cold/Flu Capsules, (4) Cipro, (4) Anti-Radiation Meds, (2) Bentyl, (2) No-Doze, (2) Sinus Meds, Tweezers

(Various Pockets) TP (Small Roll, Flattened), Washcloth, Hand Sanitizer, Soap (TS), Axe Spray (TS), Deodorant (TS), Latex Gloves, Face Mask, Pen Flashlight, Small Flashlight, Ace Bandage, Maxi Pad, Tampon, (3) Condoms, Roll of Quarters, Deep Woods Off (TS), .22 Pistol Ammo, (1) Ration Bar, 50' Paracord, (2) Lighters, (4) Water Purification Tabs, Duct Tape (Small Roll, Flattened), Watch (Indiglo, worn), (2) Tinder Packs, Dryer Sheets (in Ziploc bag until needed, for insects), Poncho, Emergency Blanket, Hard Candy, Slim Jim Sticks, Spare Truck Key, Spare House and Gates Key, Small Lockpick Set, Military Can Opener, Camp Utensil Kit (Metal Fork/Knife/Spoon), Swiss Army Knife, Gerber Multi-Tool, Wire Saw (yeah, I know, they suck, but may need to make fishing pole), Windproof/Waterproof Matches, 5 in 1 Survival Whistle (Matches, Compass, Mirror, Flint, worn around neck), 8' Paracord Bracelet (worn around wrist)

BACKPACK

(Water Bottle, in Water Bottle Holder, with Carabiner Clip to Help Hold)

(Various Outer Pouches) Mrs. Dash Seasoning, 100' Paracord, (2) Ponchos, (2) Emergency Blankets, (4) Ration Bars, (2) Lighters, Additional Cigarette Tin, (3) Tinder Packs, Spare Pair of Socks, Camp Fork (Telescopic), Back Scratcher (Telescopic, damn insects), Hard Candy, Slim Jim Sticks, Binoculars, Local Map (Laminated and Marked), Spare Batteries (AA and AAA), Small Flashlight, More Waterproof/Windproof Matches, Ziploc Bags, Another Military Can Opener, Playing Cards (Poisonous & Edible Plants of the Southeast), More TP (Small Roll, Flattened), More Duct Tape (Small Roll, Flattened), Motorola Radio

(Inside Area) Folding Fuel Cell Stove (Fuel Cells Inside It), (3) Cans Beef Stew, Crank Radio/Flashlight/Cell Charger, Venture 6 Tool (Axe, Saw, Shovel, in Pouch), (3) Small Bottles of Water, (8) Tent Stakes, Inflatable Pillow, One Person Mess Kit, Larger First Aid Kit (More bandages, Ace Bandage, Scalpel, Blades, Tape, Gauze, Snakebite Kit, Insect Bite Relief, Antibiotic, Burn Cream, Antifungal, Forceps, Tweezers, Latex Gloves, Duplicate Doses of Pills in Smaller Kit), (3) Packs Instant Grits (Butter & Bacon), Water Filtration Straw

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Should add, should I have to hoof it, I'll bungee the tarp around the backpack, both to carry the tarp, and to add extra weatherproofing.

Eventually, I'd like to get some camo netting to keep in the truck, so should I have to abandon it, I could drive it somewhere and maybe conceal it, in case I can come back at a later time for it. But, that really takes up a lot of space, so kind of torn on it.

I suck at lockpicking, so hoping I never have to depend on it. I wanted it to be a hobby years back, but sucked at it. Still, I figure if everything's gone to hell, and I come across an abandoned, but locked store, it would be nice to get in and still keep it intact. I'm better at cars. My wife used to lock herself out of her car constantly, so I have the same tools a locksmith uses to get in. So yeah, in the apocalypse, I'll check for another vehicle if I can't use mine, like stuck in a traffic jam, etc.

If curious about all the medical stuff, I'm no doc, but I have always had animals, and learned to deal with a lot of medical situations for both them and people before seeking more professional care.

I know that there are millions of different survival scenarios, and each BOB is molded for a specific one.

On the contrary, I approached mine with the idea that I have no idea what scenario I'd ever need it for, other than getting me home. Regardles of the scenario, you'll need food, water, protection, shelter, etc., so I approached it from that angle...trying to fit as many scenarios as I think likely. I really hope I never have to use it. Even still though, there have been times I've had to dip into it, and use things while on the road, and then replenish it after.
edit on 19-7-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
reply to post by badgerprints

Presumably, in a BOB situation, society would be in shambles, and you wouldn't have a firearm with you? Not even a pistol?

Excellent suggestions in your list though.

Do you really prefer walking poles over just finding a walking stick? I guess if going 500 miles...yikes. Glad I'd only have to do 50.

The reason I carried sharpened shovel rather than an obvious weapon is that I was traveling through state parks and several states.
In in a martial law type situation the military and or police would be targeting anyone who was obviously carrying. A small pistol would be easier to hide but not everybody can legally drive around with one on their person or in a vehicle. Going from home or traveling to a "Bug in location" would be a different plan and I'd carry other weapons.

As far as the everyday working person in a city, the first hours of a major emergency would be chaotic and moving quickly while keeping your head low would be the way to travel fastest.

I would avoid other people as much as I could. Avoid police and military. Avoid checkpoints and choke points to avoid becoming a guest of FEMA and would avoid confrontation at all costs. It's much harder to get home or to a bug out location after you've been injured or locked up.

Of course, I'd have firearms at home and a bug out location.

I myself have a tonneau cover on my pickup. It's keeps everything secure and dry. I always have my mountain bike in there. Biking with a big pack is a little awkward until you get used to it but you get a lot more mileage that way. Sounds a little paranoid but when Houston evacuated for Ike the highways were parking lots. If it had been a real SHTF situation a bike might have been the only way for me to get home. Luckily, I had the foresight to get out of town before the zombies hit the road.

Re: your question on walking sticks
Some like single walking sticks but I found it was better for me to have two.
I used a walking single stick for a few days while I lent my sticks to another hiker who had twisted her ankle. She liked them enough to buy some at the next outfitters and I was glad to get mine back. I also used one of my walking sticks as a tent pole and saved a little weight.

I noticed that in your list you had cash. That's good but you might want to add a few rolls of quarters. If you find yourself in a driving situation where you are on the move, a lot of rest stops and other places have food and drink machines but the paper money slots are out of order. Also, things like water and air compressors require quarters....and laundromats. Being stranded with no clean clothes sucks too.

Also,
A stamped envelope with writing paper.

edit on 27-7-2013 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Shelter

5000+cu Backpack
USGI Sleep System
Ultralight Hammock
10x12 Tarp
-------------------------------
Food/Water

MSR Stowaway Pot 1.1 Liter
Guyot 32oz Steel Bottle
Sea To Summit Spork
Sawyer Point One Filter
-------------------------------------
Tools

Elk Ridge 4-Piece Fire Starter Kit
Smith's DRET Diamond Retractable Sharpener
Leatherman Wingman
Bahco Laplander
Cold Steel Trail Hawk
Eagle Claw Pack-It Fishing Rod
Instapark Mercury 4S Solar power
----------------------------------------------------------
Weapons

Stoeger Coach Gun 12-GA with 9mm and .22 adapters
Glock 19
edit on 27-7-2013 by NLDelta9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   

I think it's safe to design it to be put into a car. So therefore it would be slightly larger in nature. Big enough that you could then put it on your back and walk a long distance still as well. But it should have sleeping gear in it (mainly for sleeping in your car). So like a small sleeping bag, and a small tarp or small tent. Then all the other gear. I'd design it for modern times, none of this I'm gonna use it to survive in the woods crap. That's crap. It's just more or less creature comforts in case you're house burnt down, or there was an eee ehmm peey. Here's another suggestion. Go to the dollar store.

Buy a cheap back pack from there or from goodwill. Then fill it with dollar store crap. And some tins of food. Then stow that in the woods somewhere. That way you have an off grid bob. Make sure both bob's have extra ID's of some nature and cash, food, water, a rat trap (after you run out of food you'll eat rat meat) a knife, map, flashlight, zip ties, bunge cords, candies, cord/paracord, tarp, lighters, flint n steel, touque, gloves, playing-cards, plastic garbage bags, extra socks n ginch, salt and pepper (for that rat you kill and now have to eat) protection (in case you get lucky on the road) rain poncho, liquor, smokes (you'll need that when you're deep in the woods alone and you need to drown the pain of the disaster that just took place. And even if you don't smoke at that point you will. Or when you're alone on the road and you meet new people, you offer them some booz or smokes as a way to make friends).

But mostly consider it a means to live in your car for the next 2-6 months until you get resettled in a new small town someplace that no one has ever heard of. Again, think about the name here BOB, you're getting lost, you're taking off. Who knows why, it could be the most bizzare situation ever that you never thought possible. You can't go to anyone, and you don't have anything. But you have your bob stashed in the woods. It's got ID, it's got cash, it's got water, food, a tent, a sleeping bag, or whatever you need. You go grab it, and if you're lucky enough to have your car still then you get it, put it in your car, then you bug out only sticking to nothing but back roads, until you reach that small town or that small off grid cabin you know of on the other side of the country. or if you don't have a car, you grab your bob and you go and use some ride share site like craigslist to find a ride out of where you are.

Or if in the event of an eee ehm peey then you just set up shop in the woods, or whereever you can and stay put for a while while you work out a plan of what you're gonna do. So maybe that might include only traveling short distances by night evading the people that want to put you in a fema camp, and heading somewhere remote, or to a small island somewhere, and living there til things settle down. LOL
Now you're ready to BOB!!!
edit on 27-7-2013 by spartacus699 because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-7-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   

I noticed that in your list you had cash. That's good but you might want to add a few rolls of quarters.

I carry two $10 rolls of quarters too. For one thing, held in the hands, they make your fist a lot more solid. But, I currently keep them in my truck for emergency gas money. Why? Because as rolls of quarters, I won't just grab them and spend them.
Also, if I'm ever short for tolls, could break one open.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

Buy a cheap back pack from there or from goodwill

I saw a MOLLE type pack at WalMart the other day for $12. Came in a tan color, and also in digital cammo. I'd personally recommend the tan one, so you don't look military. For a long-term hiking pack, wouldn't recommend it, but for a BOB? Why not.

www.walmart.com...

Also, quick tip. My wife's truck actually has two BOBs in it. The reason is that we typically use her truck if we go anywhere as a group, or even a couple of us. In my truck, it's usually just me.

edit on 29-7-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
As well as a good BOB... You should have a bug out tactical belt!..im going to start a thread on it ...

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by punk316

As you saw above, I pretty much have pre-loaded tactical clothes, hehe...

I just want to be sure, that if someone sees me, their first thought will be hunter or hiker, not military or Rambo wanna-be..... That way, I won't be as high on their threat meter. Although, the plan is for them not to see me...and just get the heck home.

new topics

top topics

join