It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stove and Power combined

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I just ran across this and thought I would share it because, it is pretty damn nifty if you ask me.

So here it is:

BioLite

Basically a little stove (they have a bigger model as well) that has a fan, heat from fire spins fan, that in turn forces air into the fire (making it hotter) and also powers a USB charger.

Once you have the stove check this link for a few USB powered gadgets to complete your survival bivvy in style.

Powered Gadjets

Did you know they have USB rechargeable batteries? I did not know that.

V

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   
This has always been a pretty cool device. I wouldn't use it in a BOB situation, but as something to have at your bug out site? Invaluable.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Variable

heat from fire spins fan,

Just an FYI.
The heat from the fire generates the power via a thermoelectric generator, which converts the heat directly into electricity. The fan is powered by the generator not vice versa. The fan is there to provide combustion air for the fuel, to burn it more efficiently.

From your link:

Using BioLite's patent-pending thermoelectric technology, BioLite Stoves convert heat to electricity that powers a fan to make the fire ultra-efficient.

edit on 19-7-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Amazing little gadget! I want one. I have a very small folding stove that weighs 2 lbs. that uses twigs for fuel, it's great for keeping small shelters warm as the fire is enclosed. You can boil water in about 5 minutes with it. This thing is so far beyond my little stove - it's like the Flintstones vs the Jetsons.

2W at 5 volts isn't much power but what's to stop someone from making a larger more powerful version?

Thanks for posting this.

ETA: Looks like the BioLiteHomeStove isn't for sale (the larger version), perhaps they're shopping for grants to fund it's manufacture? Looks like a great idea whose time is come
www.biolitestove.com...
edit on 19-7-2013 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
The Power Pot provides 5V out to charge your USB devices while you cook

Current version is 5W, but I think they are working on 10W & 15W versions...

edit on 20-7-2013 by CommandoJoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Reasonably priced, and it uses little fuel. When hiking, sometimes it isn't practical to start a big fire to cook when it's really dry outside, this contains the fire well. Lot safer for forest fires. Don't need much wood either to cook lunch.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
A gasifier will power a generator, produce diesel, gasoline, AND charcoal at the same time. All from scavenged branches.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Nice little unit & very useful

Reminds me of the unit developed for 3rd world situations but this is a way more expensive and very 'beautified' version. The one I'm thinking of uses a simple linear alternator driven by a reed valve to generate electricity (mechanical) for LED lighting or charging cellphones while this upmarket unit sounds like it uses a Peltier module or something along those lines.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
The GoalZero products are pretty awesome for charging personal electronics. Can get pretty pricey though. For a BOB situation, I prefer a simple hand-crank charger (I won't need much power for long)...but for your base holdout area, the GoalZero items are pretty cool. (Although, for hiking, having it charge your laptop while hiking is pretty cool).

top topics

join