It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Great Way To Cook/Boil Water Indefinitely When Bugging Out

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Most folks carry a method of cooking that relies on some sort of petroleum based fuel for cooking and boiling water on the run. What happens when the fuel runs out? The answer is a biofuel stove like the Kelly Kettle. This stove can utilize anything that can burn, but how does it perform compared to what you are used to?

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I loved my Kelly kettle but my pal sat on it and it died
Been looking for a new one but they are a bit pricey at the moment.
For the amount of fuel you need to boil water (a hand full of twigs) they are great.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I plan to do it with a fresnel lens I got off of an old rear projection TV. They used them for the screen magnification.

Here is an example of how it works.

This is just one thing you can do with the lens. I got a rock in my yard to over 995 degrees Fahrenheit, as high as my temp meter measured, in less than a minute using this lens.

It's not as pretty as the kettle but it works also. You can even cook with it.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive
I plan to do it with a fresnel lens I got off of an old rear projection TV. They used them for the screen magnification.

This is just one thing you can do with the lens. I got a rock in my yard to over 995 degrees Fahrenheit, as high as my temp meter measured, in less than a minute using this lens.

While I think that the Fresnel lens is awesome and can be used for many different applications please keep in mind that the kettle is in the context of something you can easily pack.

Thanks for the tip on the rear projection TV, how big a lens do they have? I see them in the garbage all of the time and I want one!

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by LibertysTeeth

What happens when the fuel runs out?

Wood? Been working for thousands of years....

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

What happens when the fuel runs out?

Wood? Been working for thousands of years....

Haha, I was alluding to what happens when your petroleum based fuel for your camp stove runs out. If that is all you have prepared for then you have to improvise to use wood.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
It actually looks pretty cool. A bit big for a BOB, but for the end destination, not bad.
I'd love to get an actual wood burning stove for the home, but just seems like a big investment with little practical use unless there's some kind of catastrophe. Usually, my prepper projects have to also have some kind of immediate use and practicality, if I'm to invest in it.
edit on 19-7-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I bought my Kelly Kettle about two months ago. After the first day of using it my mind said "where was this during my 20 years in the Army?"

Super light and does not take up much space at all. Boils water in about three minutes using tree bark. If I searched and HAD to have a complaint about it, it would be that it is noisy. Honestly that is my only issue.

I'm looking for the "kit" now. Adds a pan and a stove top to the Kettle's base. It'll be nice to have bacon to go with my coffee

++ As far as space is concerned I bought mine for kayaking. I have limited space for equipment and the Kelly Kettle is perfect. It takes up less space than my one man tent.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I currently have one of these in my BOB...

Only cost $6, and that's with the (8) fuel tablets (that can store inside it). Pretty handy little thing, I've used it camping before. Each tablet has about 10 minutes of cook time, but 1 tablet is usually enough to cook most things. I like it because it is light and compact.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   

I believe mine is 50 inches diagonal. It's the size of the entire screen so if it was a 60 inch screen then the lens should be 60.
If you see someone throwing one away just ask if you can pop the lens out first. It will come right out with little effort.
You're right it won't fit in a buyout bag but I'm not planning to have to go far if something happens. I live in the country already.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
position a magnifying glass or glasses over miniature stream collecting area like small pond if you got water capture material then place on top surface and purify why warming surrounding water...

my 3 cents

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

Not too long ago, I had to throw out one of these, but I kept the screen for just this purpose, just store it up in the rafters of the garage in case I ever need it.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I'm gonna check out where I can get one of these.

thanks for sharing, great tool.

No one can live without water. Even if you don't need this now, you never know in the future!

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

gotta love these things! I have one from a tv,made a frame and stand for it,like a picture frame as in the video.No fuel needed,other than sunlight,works all day long,no maintence needed other than adjusting the angle.It can lay flat in a pickup bed,up against a wall...its almost perfect! I know the naysayers will blow it off,as it only works 12 hours a day...well,use it to heat rocks or water all day,then put those in your shelter at night.Easy to cook with,and no smoke or smell other than the food.Sure,its a bit bulky to carry in a backpack,but for the effort,more than worth it to me.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

sure,wood will work...if you have the time and energy to get it,between running for water,hunting,tending the garden,fighting off the zombie bikers and aliens! My grandfather taught me the best advice ever..."put a lazy man on a hard job,and he'll find an easy way to do it.As long as it gets done,who care's?"

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive

Every day you can see projection TV's free on craigslist. I am just waiting for one to turn up in my neighborhood. More fun than a magnifying glass, but not as portable as a Kelly Kettle. I think you could melt aluminum with one though.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
The neat thing about this is that it could easily be improved without working too hard at it.
I'd think that using a dark glass bottle for the heating element is impractical though, given the number of times it broke. I suspect a tea kettle/coffee would work better in that it'd not shatter, and with a longer length of pipe you could likely get better condensation too.

Personally, I'd still want to filter it though.
M.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Moshpet

one of my idea's ,when I get the time,is to take some square tubing,tack it all together like a bbq grill rack.Set the lense up sorta out of focus,as for cooking you don't need 1000 degree's,and don't want to melt it.You have a grill,or toss a skillet on top.No ashes,no smoke,and 12 hours or so of free energy..my dream machine!

top topics

join