It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would an Atheist Pray If..

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by RealTruthSeeker

The first problem here is that you have already doubted, you're already assuming that the prayer won't work, so in that case it probably won't. Second, since when is prayer special treatment? Let me guess, because God only does things for people who believing in him. NO Duh.

God spent 6 days creating the world. You choose to bother him on his one day of rest. Yes, that's rude.

Mostly a joke, but you see where I"m coming from.

Christians constantly claim that "God has a plan" & "Everything is Pre-ordained".

It would suck to be God and have this master plan if anybody with two teeth and a prayer can screw it up for you, don't you think?

I asked you for it? Most likely not. I don't know you, or anything about you, so why in the world would you give me $50? But then again, you might, based on the simple fact that I had the guts to ask.

Well the difference here is, I'll actually answer you yes or no. Nobody asks God for 50 bucks and then gets it from the sky.

God is the same way, why would he help anyone who doesn't believe in Him.

Why help somebody who does believe in him? If everything is planned and pre-ordained and he has a this in store for you, then it's rude and un-christian like to ask him to change it.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

You seem to be avoiding the question by using pre-ordination as a way to justify there would be no reason to pray. In order to accept that view you would have to believe in God and therefore it really wouldn't make sense if you did not pray in such a situation. Come on now, Whether you admit it or not I'm sure you would slide a prayer under your breath if this was a real life situation.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Come on now, Whether you admit it or not I'm sure you would slide a prayer under your breath if this was a real life situation.

My son suffers from a rare auto-immune disease. I've almost lost him on more than one occasion.

Asking "God" to save him never crossed my mind once.

In order to accept that view you would have to believe in God and therefore it really wouldn't make sense if you did not pray in such a situation.

Pre-ordinance is a central tenant of the Abraham Faiths. The idea that God knows all and has seen all and has planned for it all is taught throughout the church's teaching. It's not avoiding the question, it's applying logic to it.

If everything is already planned for by God, who should know best after all, then it's not only unlikely he will help you, but rude of you to ask.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   

The religious have really been handed a bunch of bull on this. It's been drilled in their heads that EVERYTHING is god's will, and his divine plan. Somehow it became popular to think that praying would make god change his plans just for that person.

So, praying for miracles is a total waste of time. If god willed a person to live, then he/she will live. If god willed for this person to die - it's his plan and no amount of prayers are going to change that.

It's even a waste of time to just talk to god. HE ALREADY KNOWS YOUR THOUGHTS!

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
If everything is already planned for by God, who should know best after all, then it's not only unlikely he will help you, but rude of you to ask.

~Tenth

Not to mention the fact that if it's already all planned, weather you prayed or not the outcome will not change.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Pre-ordinance is a central tenant of the Abraham Faiths. The idea that God knows all and has seen all and has planned for it all is taught throughout the church's teaching. It's not avoiding the question, it's applying logic to it.

~Tenth

No offence to other Christians, but I don't care what the churches teach, if it is not in line with scripture then I'm not buying it. I could quote a dozen scriptures which would show that apparently God does answer prayers, but I won't bore you with that. All throughout scripture people have prayed and God delivered, or should I say, changed his plan.

So the idea that God would not step in to show His power and mercy is un-biblical. In either case I'll accept your response, I'm sure you got better things to do then go back and forth about this all day.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

There are millions on earth who would totally disagree with you that praying or talking to God is waste of time.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   

There are millions on earth who would totally disagree with you that praying or talking to God is waste of time.

Out of 4 billion? Or is it 7 now?

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Praying didn't bring my brother out of the coma he was in for 10 days, and I really opened up my soul to whoever was listening...no answer came except him having a massive heart attack and dying at the age of 17.
I believe in a god but no man made version of god, I just think that we are not that important in his/her/its eyes.
So I will not ask him/her/it for anything ever again I will ask my fellow man If I need something.
In humanity I trust.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
No, prayer would be pointless. I would do something else as a better alternative because to me prayer wouldn't help. It could confront me, but I can find something to do better.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealTruthSeeker
reply to post by jiggerj

Not looking for disagreement or agreement for that matter. How about the contradiction?

Does your god have a divine plan that negates praying for any kind of a deviation from that plan?
Does your god already know your thoughts?

Don't worry, I know you can't simply answer yes or no. Your conditioning compels you to defend such beliefs in ways that totally dodge and misdirect away from such questions.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Doesn't matter, those who believe out weigh the number of those who don't. So which is more logically true?

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
Praying didn't bring my brother out of the coma he was in for 10 days, and I really opened up my soul to whoever was listening...no answer came except him having a massive heart attack and dying at the age of 17.
I believe in a god but no man made version of god, I just think that we are not that important in his/her/its eyes.
So I will not ask him/her/it for anything ever again I will ask my fellow man If I need something.
In humanity I trust.

First of all, I want to acknowledge the loss of your brother. That sucks. It always sucks. It will never not suck.

But... have you ever considered hearing the neutral news of Crom? He seems exactly like the god you would follow.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Crom? isn't that Conans God?
please post me a link so I can look into it all more.
Oh and cheers for your kind words

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Nice try. But I think the plan you might be referring to is God's overall plan for mankind. What does that have to do with the path you chose in life for yourself?

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Sorry to hear about your brother. But why give up so easily? Just because God said no once, that means He'll say no every time?

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix267
No, prayer would be pointless. I would do something else as a better alternative because to me prayer wouldn't help. It could confront me, but I can find something to do better.

Well at least you gave a straight answer. But what could you possibly do after trying every alternative but prayer?

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   

God gave up on my brother, myself and my family cost us over 50k for the medical bills and to get him home..bankrupted my family.
Sorry but F*** any God who can do this, like I said I will trust a human being before any so called God.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by Cuervo

Crom? isn't that Conans God?
please post me a link so I can look into it all more.
Oh and cheers for your kind words

Yeah, he's Conan's god. He's fictional but, to you, virtually all of them are so I'd say go for it. Also, you are not supposed to pray to Crom because he doesn't give a crap.

Crom

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Cheers dude, reading now.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join