It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neat Idea: Edible and Poisonous Plants Playing Cards

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Just saw this, and have to add these to my BOB (and use them at home). What a neat idea! Full color pics of plants to avoid, and ones to eat, by your geographical area. And how many of us carry a deck of cards in the BOB anyhow? (plus, you'll learn them as you play)

Two birds with one stone!

www.campingsurvival.com...

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I think the cards are good idea in a bob. Plants are very overlooked. They are not just a source of food they have amazing herbal properties too. It is a good idea to know some of the basic herbs and how to make tinctures and creams...

sf)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I might just pick myself up a pack and hope that a couple of cards don't stick together at the wrong time.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

On the source, if you look to the bottom right you will see a link to cards for western states.

I love these. Anyone can do Print on Demand playing cards now...the person who made these was very smart and helpful. I hope they make bank on this idea with all the survivalists buying.

Also, think of what a unique gift idea this is! I think I'm buying these.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Thats a brilliant idea!!!
If they can use playing cards for the most wanted in the war on terror then why not for something more useful like survival.

I haven't clicked the link yet but this idea doesn't have to stop there.
A deck of cards with ways to purify water and the many shelters people can build would be great follow up decks.

Thanks for this thread.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

They have ones with survival info as well.

www.campingsurvival.com...

Hearts: Breathing, Bleeding, Shock, Hypothermia, Frostbite.

Diamonds: Fractures, Wounds, Heat Exhaustion and Heat Stroke, Heart Attack, Bites & Stings, Burns.

Clubs: Preparation, Campsites, Shelters, Fire Starting, Signals.

Spades: Water, Food, Becoming Unlost.

I'd recommend laminating them though. The playing cards I use for my BOB are on plastic, so no worries about getting wet, but these are like typical cards.
edit on 18-7-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Great idea...also, the laminating idea is the way to go,

though i would read up more on what and what not to eat in YOUR area.
I have a book on edible/poisonous Mushrooms, but i'm still not confident enough when it comes to Fungi.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Great find! I'm gonna have to pick up the plants and survival tips sets!

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I don't recommend this, especially where you and I live Gaz.
I went to spend some time with the American Indians down here, and part of the point was specifically to learn about edible plants. I was given the opportunity to spend time with their “medicine man”, and I learned not to even try to use edible plants without years of learning about them. The Indians actually have a bread they make out of a highly poisonous plant, it must be picked at a certain time of the day when the poison is in the roots, then boiled and run off repeatedly. After going through the correct process, it makes a wonderful pancake-like bread.

Anyway...
They spend decades learning about this stuff. Some plants are only edible when harvested and prepared correctly, like the one I mentioned above. There is a lot more to plant identification then just its looks, and there are a number of plants that are very similar in appearance that can kill you in seconds.

Water Hemlock:

Poison Hemlock:

Water Parsnip:

Wild Carrot:

I have an excellent book, called “botany in a day” which teaches “pattern method” plant identification, and even the author says that it would take whole other books to cover the range to plants in the Southern US. Believe me, this is not something you want to even attempt unless you know exactly what you are doing.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 02:34 AM
link   
good idea for lifting morale on a wet and stormy night out in the bush whilst looking forward to the leaves and berries at dinner time tomorrow ,however i am just trying to work out which cards are sought after for that winning hand .
does a pair of deathcap mushrooms beat a prickly pear ? Maybe just stick to solitaire or go fish

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Believe me, this is not something you want to even attempt unless you know exactly what you are doing.

That is a good point (and wow, yeah good luck telling the difference between those examples!). For me, this is more of a reference. I started learning about my local flora a little more than a year ago, and it is something I continually study, mostly because we had to learn about the dangerous plants to the horses that may crop up in the pastures. It's given me some hands on experience and I plan to learn more any way I can (much better to have in your head). In addition, starting in September, we're getting into home gardening, so we'll be continually learning about these.

The experience of learning with a Native American must have been pretty cool and informative.

I imagine the cards will likely contain the most easily identifiable and common edibles, but I'll see when I get the deck...and cross-check it.
edit on 22-7-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Gaz, what a great idea! I made the site a favorite so I can go back and check it out more in depth later. I have tried to get a bob ready, I even got a really nice bag from work for one, but it is a little too big. And to teach kids this sort of thing would be perfect, by playing war or something. Like if you won the hand, "Would you eat the plant??? yes.....nope, you just died, you lose the hand"

On a side note, I have come across a lot of your posts on here and they are very informative. Thank you. Maybe, if it were ok with you, I'll u2u to get some ideas for my bob. I'll ponder some things at work and bounce them off of you, if it's ok? Just shoot me one if it is ok.

Thank you again Gaz.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by thepolish1

Feel free to U2U me. My current BOB contents can be found on this thread: (and on page 1)

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Also, there are far more experts than I on this forum who have had more practical experience...but I do feel I've listened to them, and done enough on my own to give sound advice on the subject. Talk to the military guys. They have more firsthand knowledge, and are usually more than willing to help.

I've been modifying my BOB now for about 2 years, and I'm pretty content with this as the end result. I keep it in my truck (which is wherever I go), but with the idea that I'll likely be 50 miles from home when a SHTF event strikes, due to my commute. Besides being my home, it is in a rural area, has well water, lots of fencing, and we have horses (great SHTF transport), rabbits (great renewable meat source), and soon, a garden and fruit trees...so a much better place to try and survive in relative comfort. (and worth the 50 mile hike...though it would be, just to see my family too).

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

flag,,ALWAYS,,ere on the side of caution,,u are what u eat

new topics

top topics

join