It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warning Shots: What NOT To Do!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Over the last few weeks I have seen many news stories of regular people, who thought they were doing the right thing, going to jail for firing 'warning shots'. Many here would probably question these arrests assuming that warning shots are a good way to scare off burglars, rapists, and carjackers without having to injure or kill someone. That seems true on the surface. Before I explain I want to showcase a few cases that illustrate instances of warning shots landing people in jail:

1 Man fires shotgun in the air to wardoff would be car thieves

2 Fla. mom gets 20 years for firing warning shots

3 Homeowner jailed for firing warning shot

Warning shots are considered reckless behavior both by the law and by professional military, police, and security personnel. In my experience as a soldier I have never instructed nor have I been instructed to fire warning shots. In all of my time teaching firearm safety and use I have never taught anyone to fire warning shots. Because one of the cardinal rules of firearms safety is to be sure of your target and WHAT IS BEYOND IT.

When you fire into the air gravity will eventually take over. That bullet is going to hit something on it's way down. That something may be a person uninvolved with your tactical situation. Firing warning shots close to the perpetrator has the same effect. Bullets will go through walls depending on how they are designed, how much powder is behind them and what type of weapon is used.

The first case, where that moron of a man shot a shotgun into the air, was among the worst cases of negligent discharge of a firearm I have seen in some time. He fired a weapon capable of dispersing multiple .33 caliber rounds into the air. How freaking irresponsible is that? He might have thought he was doing the right thing, but what he should have done is simply call the cops and give good descriptions. Maybe grab a camera and get good shots of the perps. If he couldn't justify firing directly at the criminals then he should not have fired the gun at all.

It is cases like these that serve to illustrate a rule many have heard before. If you pull a gun, you'd better use it, use it properly, and use it safely. If you are truly afraid for your life then aim that weapon at what is causing that fear and stop him/her from continuing their attack. Do not fire into the air. Do not fire passed a target. If you can't justify firing your weapon then DON'T FREAKIN' DRAW YOUR WEAPON AT ALL!

I hope this thread helps people understand. Warning shots are a Hollywood gun fantasy just as much as the stupid idea that you could turn a weapon full auto by filing down the firing pin. All you will do is ruin a good firing pin...And in turn, all you will do is seal your jail sentence.
edit on 17-7-2013 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Good message, most responsible firearm owners know this.

I Hope The VP's staff can have him stop by this thread and learn something...

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Warning shots are always illegal.

A warning shot means there are fewer rounds left.

Hop-along-cassidy: But what if I jus shoot em in the leg sherrif. You know. Wing em

Sherrif: Discharging a firearm within city limits is already illegal. Do not draw your weapon unless it is to save a life, and then only shoot to kill. If you hit em in the leg, you missed.

Mike

edit on 17-7-2013 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn

Good message, most responsible firearm owners know this.

I Hope The VP's staff can have him stop by this thread and learn something...

Maybe one of his staffers
could show him this response.

Mike

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

I get so tired of politicians and anti-gunners giving firearms advice. People who do not understand tactical situations should not be giving tactical advice.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Also, keep your finger off the trigger until you have acquired a proper sight picture and are ready to fire.

Out of the 3 basic rules of firearm safety I see this one violated the most.

It helps us all be safe and can prevent negligence.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   

I hadn't considered this argument against warning shots. up until now it sounded like a good idea. I get it though, you don't want to harm uninvolved people. Last thing I would want, even if I did fear for my own life.

When is it legal to pull a gun on someone? (Broadly legal, I realize details of the law may vary by state or locality)
Do I have to fear for my life? If someone is trying to steal my car and I have no other means of stopping them, can I not pull my personal firearm(a form of protection) on them? My car is important. If I lose it I may very well lose my livelihood. A shot to kill might be overdoing it, but If they didn't want to get shot they should be stealing things from people. Kinda like blaming the victim for the crime.

I would like to add that I do not own a gun. Not that I am against it. I write the above as a general argument. I don't want you thinking I am going around pulling a gun on shoplifters.

Another good question might be "when is it ethical to pull a gun on someone?"

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
What's the gun advice I received as a young lass?

If someone ever comes after you, shoot them first and fire the warning shot afterward.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by kmb08753

Do I have to fear for my life?

Short answer is yes.

Any other instance other than to prevent great bodily harm to yourself or another you should never pull a firearm.

That is a broad statement but if you shoot someone for stealing your car you will go to jail. If they are breaking into your house plug away just exercise your 5th amendment right. When in doubt of the law shut your mouth.

Another good question might be "when is it ethical to pull a gun on someone?"

Just look at your other quote for the answer.
edit on 17-7-2013 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by kmb08753

If someone is trying to steal my car and I have no other means of stopping them, can I not pull my personal firearm(a form of protection) on them?

Are you in the car,
and they are Jacking it
by pointing a peice at you?

Mike

edit on 17-7-2013 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   

16:37 minutes of training.
Zero warning shots.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by kmb08753

I pulled a gun on a crack head once because after threatening me and a few friends he picked up a large rock and positioned himself to throw it directly at my head, I held him at gun point until the police arrived. I did not fire a shot and the man was taken into custody.

At the end of the day you must be able to gauge a situation and act accordingly. You do not ALWAYS have to fire a shot. But if you do you must be sure of your target and the justification for shooting.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 02:42 AM
link   
One of the 10 commandments of firearm safety( not sure which, but it doesn't matter) is you never discharge your weapon unless you are sure of the target. And then shoot to kill. That is how I was taught.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   

If confronted with bodily harm, pull your weapon. So defending you or someone else, you will be alright.
If they are trying to rip you from your car, you may have a legal right to pull your firearm.

I wonder how it would have gone for you if you had fired, however. You weren't in your home, which according to Grimpachi, that might be an important legal factor.

Sounds like a lose-lose situation. I hope I am never faced with it.

Either way, stray bullets are bad.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 06:39 AM
link   
A gun is the last resort. It is not a deterent.

If you are at the point where you are left no choice but to use a gun, it's 2 in the chest, 1 in the head.

Worst possible situation to be forced into. Damn.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by tkwasny
If you are at the point where you are left no choice but to use a gun, it's 2 in the chest, 1 in the head.

What might a jury think of that action in a self defense case. What if Zimmerman has fired 3 shots? Would the jury have thought he was trying to stop the attacker or actually trying to outright kill him.

Is it more than stopping the threat in the eyes of many people.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Wait, what? You mean life isnt like TV? I cant just fire bullets into the air or above heads? I cant expect to slow time and zoom in on hands, arms or legs?

News to me. Well, news to some I guess.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

If Zimmerman had fired more than needed to stop him being beaten I'd bet money we'd have seen a conviction.

There was a pretty high profile case four years ago I think where a pharmacy employee shot a robber then proceeded to approach the downed robber and finish him. It was self defense up until the employee decided to play executioner.

If I recall correctly that employee was found guilty of murder. I'll have to look it up.

ETA: Here it is

Moments later, Mr. Ersland shot Mr. Parker five more times as he lay unconscious on the ground, say prosecutors who had a security surveillance video to bolster their case.

edit on 18-7-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I remember that one. I can see the point of the threat being removed. Is a person defending them self or making sure some one is dead.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Sounds good, sadly some folks in law enforcement are just as reckless as some of these folks firing warning shots. Actually, they are downright dangerous. One example out of many

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join