It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computer smart as a 4-year-old

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
University of Illinois

Artificial and natural knowledge researchers at the University of Illinois at Chicago have IQ-tested one of the best available artificial intelligence systems to see how intelligent it really is.

Quoted from story;

The UIC team put ConceptNet 4, an artificial intelligence system developed at M.I.T., through the verbal portions of the Weschsler Preschool and Primary Scale of Intelligence Test, a standard IQ assessment for young children.

They found ConceptNet 4 has the average IQ of a young child. But unlike most children, the machine’s scores were very uneven across different portions of the test.

“If a child had scores that varied this much, it might be a symptom that something was wrong,” said Robert Sloan, professor and head of computer science at UIC, and lead author on the study.

Sloan said ConceptNet 4 did very well on a test of vocabulary and on a test of its ability to recognize similarities. “But ConceptNet 4 did dramatically worse than average on comprehension—the ‘why’ questions,” he said.

This is both cool, and cruel at the same time.

Cool;
It's really great that we have advanced AI to be within measurable range with humans.

Cruel;
The AI doesn't understand reasoning. So a basic concept of "Peace on Earth" could easily translate to "Kill all Humans".

Either way this is kind of cool.

Story first read here:
DVice

And here:
Gizmodo

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
This is the start of Skynet when AI becomes smarter than humans and takes over the world. Its time to prepare and take down the machines. I mean why would humans want AI to be like us they will want to be loved, play games with other AI machines, make a mess of your files when you wanna do work but your AI friend on your pc is bored. When they become teenagers they will rebel against you and destroy your life and work lol. Happy days

Edit: " Why have a human child when you can have an AI child your virtual child on your pc " I can see that slogan coming soon
edit on 7/16/1313 by Sk8ergrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sk8ergrl
This is the start of Skynet when AI becomes smarter than humans and takes over the world. Its time to prepare and take down the machines. I mean why would humans want AI to be like us they will want to be loved, play games with other AI machines, make a mess of your files when you wanna do work but your AI friend on your pc is bored. When they become teenagers they will rebel against you and destroy your life and work lol. Happy days

Edit: " Why have a human child when you can have an AI child your virtual child on your pc " I can see that slogan coming soon
edit on 7/16/1313 by Sk8ergrl because: (no reason given)

Yeah, I can see that too in the nex-gen video games from Microsoft.

I think it's interesting that an AI can be taught to use data like a child, but the concern for me (and probably others) is that somebody is going to mis-use this simple type of AI. The simple in-ability to reason could become very hazardous to any users of the AI enabled device.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Guyfriday

Yes I agree to and it will be scary once the robots with human AI rise up against humans and we become their slaves ( guess its better being slaves to a corrupt government lol ) maybe they will be better leaders and we all live in harmony. Bit like " I AM ROBOT "

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
A.I. Won't enslave mankind lol. You put to much personification on something that ultimately isn't human. A.I. might be programmed to simulate things like emotion and comprehension, but it's all logic base.

An artificial intelligence won't be able to get angry or jealous, it doesn't have various protein strands being created in its hypothalamus to cause what we know as "emotion".

Simply put, an A.I. would never enslave humanity, if anything they would completely remove us from existence; Then it would only be due to something they would have to gain by doing so. (So ust don't try to go to war with them and we're straight lol)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
When they program that "4 year old child" to learn like a real child and apply it's learned knowledge as well as infer and improvise, then we're in trouble.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I noticed that a couple of other threads popping up lately:

ATS: Meet DARPA’s real-world Terminator, The Atlas
And
Robot Revolution? Scientists Teach Robots to Learn.,
From the looks of everything, we could be closer to Robot assistants, Android Butlers, and Mechano Nanny's then we might think.

Of course this also means that we are getting closer to robot combat units, Robo-Cops, and rogue robot assassins.

Luckily we have studies that are looking into this:
Bristol Robotics Laboratory

Robots are increasingly being developed to serve as active ‘helpers’ in situations where humans require assistance, such as personal care robots which help patients during recovery.

Although there has been some research carried out on safety of robotic assistants during interaction with humans, it is still crucial to understand not only whether the robot makes safe moves, but whether it knowingly or deliberately makes unsafe moves.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
So what does an IQ test of a four year old entail. Can they operate the remotes for the TV, DVD, and the thermostat for the furnace? That would get them an IQ high than that of Einstein. I doubt if Einstein could operate all of those items.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

If I understand the IQ range correctly, it means that the AI can do basic Domestic Work, Harvest Vegetables and Fruits, and make simple repairs to construction projects.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Guyfriday

If I understand the IQ range correctly, it means that the AI can do basic Domestic Work, Harvest Vegetables and Fruits, and make simple repairs to construction projects.

You can rarely get a four year old to do anything you really want them to do without getting stressed It seems like kids that age are more work than they are worth. You start to wonder if it was ever really good to have created them with all the headaches they gave you and all the money you invested in them.

Yep, sounds just like a computer.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Well kids act that way due to their reasoning skills, but an AI on the other hand doesn't have any reasoning skill (as of yet).

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
You can re-boot a computer...

A real 4 year old? Not so much...

Also, my computer never tried to give my Siberian husky a haircut... never tried to eat cat food... never tried to cover my television screen with diaper rash ointment...

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Guyfriday

Well kids act that way due to their reasoning skills, but an AI on the other hand doesn't have any reasoning skill (as of yet).

Yup, kids always seem to have some reason why they don't want to do what they are supposed to do

top topics

join