It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA successfully test "3D printed engine part".

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
SOURCE: www.bbc.co.uk...

The test part was smaller than would be used in a full-size rocket, but large enough to test it could withstand the heat and pressure involved.

Nasa said the component would normally have taken a year to make because of the exact measurements involved, but by using SLM the manufacturing time was cut to less than four months and the price reduced by more than 70%.

Read on at BBC...

I remember when the first 3D handgun was printed, alot of people were like "meh, it's useless", or "you can't print anything other than plastic sh*t with it. It seems that the technology is advancing very fast, as NASA produced a fully working item that usually takes a year to make, and now only took 4 months for the same process. What is more important, is the significant price reduction of 70%. Imagine, if a launch into space and all the telescopes cost 70% less! The $1 bn. Hubble Telescope could have been launched for just $300 m.!

Just imagine, how far can this actually cut down the costs, and how much faster can we speed it up? We may be able to 3D "print" whole new rockets for $100,000 within a week!

The real question now, is this: How fast will the technology advance? How soon will we be printing whole rockets? I imagine this may happen as early as 2015, to be honest. I remember when the first 3D printed gun was printed, I was highly sceptical...but we can now build FULLY FUNCTIONING ROCKET ENGINE PARTS that can withstand the pressures. Furthermore, it can do it faster than conventional methods, therefore eliminating the need for more workers, and cutting down the workforce...which leads me to another...reality...How soon will Additive Manufacturing replace current conventional methods?

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Maybe Aliens printed the Pyramids.

edit on 16-7-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
Maybe Aliens printed the Pyramids.

edit on 16-7-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)
lol that's one badass 3d printer then imagine the size of the machine

new topics

join