It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did God (Yahweh) have a Wife...?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Text Could Asherah be in some way an offshoot of the Babylonia Goddess Ishtar...? Ishtar’s main symbol was the lion, and in some depictions of Asherah, she’s seen standing between 2 lions. Is this just a coincidence…?
reply to post by Joecroft

@ Joecroft

Good topic. Thanks for your answer -

Bel or Moloch are the names for the same god and were worshiped in the north parts of Britain. Every year at Beltane (1st of May) the ancient worship rituals of Baal are thus. Men and women alike sit in the Druidical circle of stones and light a fire in the center of the stones. Each person puts a piece of oat cake in a bonnet. All are blindfolded and draw a piece of oat cake from the shepherd’s bonnet. One piece of their oat cake was blackened and the one who draws this blackened piece from the bonnet must the jump through the fire which is in the center of the stones. Jumping through the fire represents the ancient act of burning a person as a sacrifice which was practiced in their ancient of days.

Baal was worshiped in Britain and according to their understanding his consort was Astarte who, in Nineveh, was Ishtar.

If Astarte is known in the Babylonian concept as Ishtar then the mystery could lay in the answer as to who is Astarte to Asherah. The reason to know this is simply that Astarte (Ishtar) is recorded to be the consort of Baal and if this was true then Baal either had several wives or Astarte and Asherah are one and the same or that Asherah is not the consort of Baal.

Actually I see no evidence to suggest that Asherah is the consort of Baal.

My source was “Two Babylon’s” by Alexander Hislop. You can down load on internet.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Seede

Originally posted by seede
The reason to know this is simply that Astarte (Ishtar) is recorded to be the consort of Baal and if this was true then Baal either had several wives or Astarte and Asherah are one and the same or that Asherah is not the consort of Baal.

Yes, you appear to be correct, Astarte is the Greek name of the Goddess Ishtar. And there’s no way Ishtar can be Asherah, as they are apparently both sister Goddesses. Perhaps this is the key reason why they both wear the symbol of the lion/s. And as you rightly pointed out, Ishtar was Baals concort, and El was the Father of Baal, so doesn’t look like they can be the same entity/person.

The only thing we can be sure of, is that both Gods (Baal and El) had female counterparts…

Originally posted by seede
Actually I see no evidence to suggest that Asherah is the consort of Baal.

Neither do I… in my OP I was trying to suggest a way (wrongly) that they could be linked.

But the big questions still remain…

1 Why would the Canaanites accept Yahweh (who presumable they still believed was their same God El, (based on Exodus 6:2-3)) and apparently monotheism along with it, but yet keep El’s (now Yahweh’s) female consort Asherah…??? Something just isn’t adding up here…

2 God is saying in (Exodus 6:2-3) that His name is Yahwey, the same God known as El, who helped them out of the wilderness. So which came first, a monotheistic God Yahwey, or The God El who always had a female consort…?

Did God originally have a Wife….

- JC

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Text 1 Why would the Canaanites accept Yahweh (who presumable they still believed was their same God El, (based on Exodus 6:2-3)) and apparently monotheism along with it, but yet keep El’s (now Yahweh’s) female consort Asherah…??? Something just isn’t adding up here… 2 God is saying in (Exodus 6:2-3) that His name is Yahwey, the same God known as El, who helped them out of the wilderness. So which came first, a monotheistic God Yahwey, or The God El who always had a female consort…? Did God originally have a Wife….

@ Joecroft

As I said before, I am not a scholar by any means but can only give my opinion and that could be very well messed up.

As the Hebrews came into the Canaanite land from Egypt the Canaanite tribes did not accept the God of Moses and in fact the Hebrew tribes also had a transition period of many years to also accept this. It was not an overnight acceptance of this God of all Gods which Moses taught.

A very good example of this is in the book of Jeremiah. Jeremiah began his prophecies in the year of 463 BC to about 410 BC. This was well over 800 years after Moses established the covenant with God which was in 1313 BC. My point? Read Jeremiah the 44th chapter and you will see that this is still a problem some 800 years later with those who we assume knew better. Monotheism was not practiced all of the time by all of the people. It was forced fed by law and it took many years to breed this savagery out of the people.

Another example is as follows. Do you know why the Hebrew’s were forbidden to sacrifice an animal except through the Levitical priests? The priest would cut the animal’s throat and sprinkle the blood upon the burning alter. Why? Because the Hebrew’s were blood drinkers and this was an abomination to God and also the way to control the drinking of blood.

Jeremiah was faced with this same abomination some 800 years after Moses. In fact in my stay in the UK some years ago, there was the craving for blood pudding and kidney pie. Believe it or not that still is the custom of the English as well as some places here in America today.

To answer your question as to whether Monotheism was first depends upon your religious or non religious belief. If you believe the story of Adam then you would accept Moses because Moses wrote of Adam. According to Moses, God forbids any other gods other than Him. You may call Him El or you may call Him Yahweh among other names but He is mostly understood by the identification of the God of Abraham.

If you accept this then you will also accept that Adam’s God and Moses’ God were one and the same and that He was the only God of our creation. Naturally that means that the idea of god and a consort was developed after the flood of Noah and this is where the Babylonian concept comes into play. So my understanding is that Monotheism was established with Adam’s creation and perverted after the flood of Noah through the mysteries of Babylon.

As Adam's children procreated into tribal groups they did not practice as they were taught by their ancestors and eventually the entire creation had corrupted it'self so thoroughly that in 2105 BC the flesh of creation was destroyed by the flood of Noah. This took only 1656 years from the creation of Adam. So Monotheism became a duality of gods and goddesses in probably less than a thousand years after Adam was created and it still exists today.

This corruption developed with Nimrod who became the first king of people in 1974 BC. This was only 1787 years after the creation of Adam. Now all of this depends upon whether your studies are bible based or strictly historically based. So my answer is that Monotheism was first taught to this creation and Polytheism was gradually introduced into some cultures. With that said, I am led to believe that God has no wife or for that matter any before or beside Him.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Aye aye aye....

First, it is Elohim, not "Ele" (?), which, as far as I know (I read biblical Hebrew) is not found in the Hebrew scriptures.

The Hebrew bible plays back and forth with the YHWH/Elohim "personas", and if you follow closely, they seem to perform different archetypal functions.

Elohim means "powers" in Hebrew, is grammatically plural, yet often used in context as being singular. What then could Elohim mean? It seems obvious that Elohim is the nature (which in Kabbalistic gematria, interestingly enough, the word "hateva" - nature, has the same numerical value of 86) which appears to us as a "power" in the singular, as "cosmos", and as "powers" in the plural, as the multitudinous forces at play in nature.

Elohim therefore is the divine name for the natural world.

YHWH is the particular tribal God of the Hebrews. His appearance in scripture comes after the creation narrative of Genesis 1 (which uses the name Elohim). In Genesis 2, YHWH is added to Elohim as a supplementary concept. Although nature is the "power" which controls all things which exist within it, YHWH is a uniquely different idea. It is a personalized conception of God. The ancient Hebrews were obviously troubled between the "scientific" facts objectified in pagan religious thought, and the existential facts of human experience. Each of us is a person, a unique, brand new creation. Each of us has the power to reason, which in turn enables us to evaluate the world around us as good or bad. For the Hebrews, this was something superior to the impersonal play of nature.

To summarize:

Elohim = God as nature
YHWH = Man's personal need for God

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
This is God we're talking about, the Almighty who can create anything he wants, though I don't think a wife would be one of them. He can have any woman he dreams up, depending on what he needs or wants at any given time, then when he's finished he can simply zap them out, and not even have to worry about alimony payments.
I don't know how King Solomon managed to put up with all his wives! I can just imagine 300 wives suffering from that p.m.s and all bitching at the same time. I can also imagine just how difficult it would be to park the lawn mower and sneak off for a couple of hours fishing. One is difficult enough, but any more than that? No thanks!
Perhaps Solomon wasn't as wise as he is made out to be! As for God having a wife? My guess is he didn't! If he did have a wife, the world wouldn't be in such a mess! (my wife is standing beside me, and can read over my shoulder). It's long past time for me to put her in her place, but I'd better finish the laundry and dishes first!

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
The Anthropomorphism of God, is the best we can come up with??

Perhaps in the distant future our powers of conceptualization: we will know the true "God"

If we make it thru this period of self destruction. Constant war, racism and greed is a piss poor way to run a civilization.
edit on 20-7-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Astrocyte

@ Astrocyte

That was very interesting and info that I was never aware of. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
The answer in a literal sense is no, but there is a symbolic wife, I believe the book of Revelation talks about it.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   

As far as i can tell the feminine force is within the spirit of God. Like the spider who weaves the stars with silk in a blackened sky.

The feminine lies in the fact i am left handed. Where as right is very masculine. Since i am a man i am also balenced by female energies.

These tend to draw in random ass insects and animals. Like some budda. Lol. Nah i don't know.

I did a prayer once where an alien showed up in front of myself and 2 friends and i scrwed up and said * I am Yahweh make your presence known to us* and black shapeshifter cloud thing appeared.

Was real neat. I'd wanna see that again.

But i havn't really felt the need to you know. Conjure demons and scare people.
I havn't even seen my friends for a while.. They are still coping with the scenario lol. but if been exposed to all sorts of crazy stuff and people growing up. I don't hear voices and my experiences are usually several months/years apart. Its just random and out of the blue and usually other people are with me.

I gather if you are a very honest person. That experiences happen in your life around with whitnesses in order to prove your innocience. Where as people who are self driven have some mind blowing experiences. But no whitnesses to tell them too. Some people may talk alot of skeptic. But deep down. they feel the vibrant sensations of fear.

And in that moment they comtemplate their reality. Always. These are the moments when Mystisim takes life.
And people need not dwell on if they cannot share experiences. It just means that it was a specific lesson of faith for them. And they, not be preachers. But tell others of what they saw reguardless of acceptance. So that more seeds be spread. And they shall soon have whitnesses for their good deeds.

This is a long process. But it is in effect. And you will see results. Humanity will move forward for the better.
And it is never to late to lift the curse on this planet. There can be changes that can be done. But people and beings will need to take life and creation seriously in order to thrive and co exist.

If you plant seeds they will grow. If you water the seeds they will thrive. Thriving envriments produce big yelids for all life. This must be the way everyone thinks. IT must be theway every being thinks. That thriving life is an ecosystem of different organisms.

As higher organisms. We must take the roll of influencial creators. To aid in the in adding thriving biospheres.
All resources can be collected. But it takes time, and effort covering all facets of the biosphere. to increase productivity.

It must be nature related for productivity sake. Techology must be advanced with nature to coexist a thriving enviroment.

PS no i don't think im God. But i really did say the prayer. Probably a prophet ;P
edit on 20-7-2013 by CrypticSouthpaw because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Joecroft

I believe in a Father, Mother, and Son personally. The Father is Spirit, the spark within all of us that gives our bodies life. The Mother is our bodies and the physical universe around us. The Son is the image (Colossians 1:15, 2 Corinthians 4:4) of the Mother and Father, the catalyst for life itself. It's like the Fibonacci sequence, where the sum of the previous two equal the current number. We are the sum (Son) of the Father (1) and Mother (2), the Son is 3, The Trinity.

We are the Son (image) of God because we have the image of light that reveals the world around us.

The bible suppresses the Mother or Wife of the Father in order for society to be complacent in the destruction of Mother Earth. Not all people believe in God and are still complacent but religion started the fad if you know what I mean.

We are already in heaven, we just have to find it within us.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join