It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did God (Yahweh) have a Wife...?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Did God (Yahweh) have a Wife…?

According to the Hebrew Scriptures, its the God “Ale” who liberates the Israelites during the Exodus. And during Gods conversation with Abraham God asserts that He is Yahweh, and that he was also the God Ale, who brought them out of the wilderness…etc (Exodus 6:2-3)

The Bible claims that Abraham arrived in Canaan and then set up a unique belief system based on a Monotheism…a belief in just one God. And then some 6-7 hundred years later, Joshua is said to have conquered Canaan which then completely established monotheism. In the pantheon of Canaan, however their God Ale (who was a Canaanite God) had a wife, a female God Consort, who’s name was Asherah. And Asherah worship is mentioned quite a few times, taking place within Jerusalem in the OT.

However in a recent Canaanite dig site (about 30 years ago) archeologists discovered an artifact which contained an inscription of both the names Yahweh and his Consort Asherah, together, which dates to about the 8th century BC. There’s also an historic problem distinguishing the difference between an Israelite and a Canaanite based solely on historical evidence.

Could Asherah be in some way an offshoot of the Babylonia Goddess Ishtar...? Ishtar’s main symbol was the lion, and in some depictions of Asherah, she’s seen standing between 2 lions. Is this just a coincidence…?

There is strong scholarly evidence by R. Bultmann that pre-Christian Judaism, of a Gnostic character, stemmed from the Essenes. The Essenes are the other main Judaic sect, along with the Pharisees and Sadducees, who’s voices, have been rather conveniently silenced in the New Testament. And it’s fairly well known, that the Gnostic Christians believed in a Father, Mother and Son, throughout their theology.

So the big question is, is this Mother/God aspect, a universal truth, that’s been kept hidden away by Monotheistic beliefs, on purpose?, or is it all just Pagan lies…?

All Thoughts, Opinions, and Epiphanies…are welcome…

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Ask the Mormons,

Point being Christian sects to this day still bring this type of thing up.

Does it make it anymore accurate or not? I do not know, but I know that Majority of Christian Denominations have problems with Christian sects like Mormonisms doctrine.

So if people to this day branch of a religion to form their own sect, why would it be any different in the past?

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I remember watching a show on the history channel, and they also talked about God having a wife. If i remember correctly, they said that when the bible was put together, all mention of her was taken out. the old boys club wanted to keep it the old boys club.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Joecroft

Did God (Yahweh) have a Wife…?

I believe so. I believe that the wife of Yah...

... is Weh, the Shekhina.

When they are joined in harmonious sacred marriage, you get Yahweh.

www.amazon.com...

edit on 16-7-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Like as in Sheckayaweyah?

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Proving the existence of god would be a good starting point before speculating around the wives, girlfriends and pets of god.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nevertheless
Proving the existence of god would be a good starting point before speculating around the wives, girlfriends and pets of god.

You ever study greek mythology in school? Did you sit there and ask to prove the existence of these characters before deciding if the topic was worth discussion or debate?

Why is it that Judeo-chiristan beliefs just ain't worth the time to scrutiny, why not discuss the early formations and sects that rose up around arguably the most influential religion the world has ever known?

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Joecroft

In my opinion, Yahweh is not God, but an anthropomorphic deity that declared himself to be god. Of course the female principle, and therefore a female counterpart is needed. However, the fact that the Hebrews did have a deity that they claimed to be the wife of god, to me, proves that this deity is NOT GOD.

God is law. Not a person with emotions, hopes, needs and fears.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Yahweh is more like....Benevolent teacher, not really god. Sounds like we have given the teachers "god" status. The head of these teachers is what we think of as god, but there is a chain of command. Jesus would be one of these Benevolent teachers. These teachers are not limited to Christianity by any means.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I feel I have much in common with the ancient Israelites as my god is also Ale. Sadly (luckily?) I do not have a wife.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Who are we to actually say what religion is truth, and what is not? When it comes to religions. Most of Christianity is from pagan practices. If you read in various mythology they all share the same aspect in one way or another. How the earth was created, or the description of the world flooding. Various God's or Angels being created. They are all tied in one shape of form.

I believe there is something bigger than us, what it is or what the true way of worship is I have no clue, but I think religion is something personal for the believer and that higher power or being they worship of believe in.

I think the individual answer would be up to what ever that person believes.

I am more to believe that since the world works in nature with a yin and yang, than perhaps there is also a mother aspect of a Goddess, and a father aspect of a God.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
We can come up with "what ifs" all day long. It is a good exercise in creativity, but I happen to know the real truth.

Yes, God was married, but she divorced him. She couldn't stand living with a know-it-all.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Interesting thread. Did you read my last two threads? Link.. LINK..

Mother is Aleph Mem (Strength of the Waters). Father is Aleph Bet (Strength of the House). The word alphabet are the letters building the house. The Son (Christ) is the Word from the letters and in the waters of life. Son is Bet Nun (House of the Seed). Any living being involved in the waters of life are from the three original members of the family. DNA and the Tree of Life are the letters rendered into form. The mother is the Spirit of the Trinity. Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Maybe this helps your search.

edit on 16-7-2013 by EnochWasRight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
We can come up with "what ifs" all day long. It is a good exercise in creativity, but I happen to know the real truth.

Yes, God was married, but she divorced him. She couldn't stand living with a know-it-all.

Oh, my goodness. I almost fell out of my chair reading your response Mr. Charles.

And I agree.

Cirque

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Yahweh is more like....Benevolent teacher

More like malevolent dictator...

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Christianity is one of the youngest religions currently in existence. Do you really think its components are original? No. No they are not. Most of them are in fact pagan in origin, so be careful when saying "pagan lies", because almost all of your beliefs and practices came from pagans.
edit on 16-7-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Ashura was worshiped in the same pantheon as the Jewish god until the monotheists came along and exiled all of the old-school Jews who still frequented her temples. After the exile (which was one of the final nails in the coffin of worldwide matriarchal religious structures), people like Elijah went around and killed all who still followed her and had any reference to her destroyed.

As hard as they tried, they failed. Their crimes are still on record.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

Originally posted by Nevertheless

You ever study greek mythology in school? Did you sit there and ask to prove the existence of these characters before deciding if the topic was worth discussion or debate?

Why is it that Judeo-chiristan beliefs just ain't worth the time to scrutiny, why not discuss the early formations and sects that rose up around arguably the most influential religion the world has ever known?

Thank you! This is one of my biggest pet peeves and it doesn't even affect my own beliefs. I can talk about my own pantheons and the mythology of my gods and everybody plays along. Mention Jesus or the Abrahamic gods and, suddenly, it's like "PROVE THERE IS A GOD BEFORE WE CAN HAVE THIS ABSTRACT CONVERSATION!"

Totally lame, unfair, and one more reason I'll side with Christians over an arrogant atheist any day of the week.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Heh. I'm glad I'm not a zealot. I often carry hypothetical convos that operate under the assumption that the Christian doctrine is accurate. Very interesting exchanges.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Well if god did have a wife. She had to be hot looking. I also wonder who married them?

<<   2  3 >>

join