It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft added Outlook.com backdoor for Feds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 02:45 AM
link   

There are red faces in Redmond after Edward Snowden released a new batch of documents from the NSA's Special Source Operations (SSO) division covering Microsoft's involvement in allowing backdoor access to its software to the NSA and others.

Documents seen by The Guardian detail how the NSA became concerned when Microsoft started testing Outlook.com, and asked for access. In five months Microsoft and the FBI created a workaround that gives the NSA access to encrypted chats on Outlook.com. The system went live in December last year – two months before Outlook.com's commercial launch.

Source : www.theregister.co.uk...

This latest exposé gives significantly more credence to the theories regarding the NSAKEY scandal, which at the time Microsoft denied was a back door for the NSA into Windows.
edit on 16-7-2013 by awakehuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Opt out of PRISM, the NSA’s global data surveillance program. Stop the American government from spying on you by encrypting your communications and ending your reliance on proprietary services.

Learn more here ----> prism-break.org...
edit on 16-7-2013 by awakehuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by awakehuman

this nsakey thing will be forever a thorn... but what can you do when you are confronted by this :

5.2. Does Microsoft disclose my personal information outside of Microsoft? You consent and agree that Microsoft may access, disclose, or preserve information associated with your use of the services, including (without limitation) your personal information and content, or information that Microsoft acquires about you through your use of the services (such as IP address or other third-party information) when Microsoft forms a good faith belief that doing so is necessary (a) to comply with applicable law or to respond to legal process from competent authorities; (b) to enforce this agreement or protect the rights or property of Microsoft or our customers; or (c) to help prevent a loss of life or serious physical injury to anyone.

which is not hidden, not secret, not obfuscated. It is, in fact, agreed to when you use a microsoft service yet garners not even a peep.

willingly and eagerly, it is accepted. Yet the constant rage is about a piece of leftover code in an OS that was barely capable of being on the internet without a lot of techie work, and it is supposed to give credence to them hacking into your pc's ever since they were invented.

Much like they one where they can control a pc anywhere in the world. Right down to killing people.

With all of this security over-reaching coming to light, no one is bothering to keep tabs on the reality vs the paranoia. There is a hell of a lot to worry about, but lumping it all together as one legit thing, leads to a lot of false information.

The more I read about the NSA and find articles from more recent years, before Snowden, the more I find that where I once had a level of trust in my own ability to secure my stuff, I probably could have done more... but this nsakey thing is not one of the problems I'd use to bolster my concerns..

Annnyway, nothing a live-iso can't fix, or a typewriter.

new topics

join