It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Herbology indicates Alien contact

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlienView
reply to post by okamitengu

Not in a million years of random chance selection could a valid herbal base evolve - too many variables and modern
day scientific methods did not yet exist. The knowledge had to come from an outside [alien] source. It may be,
as in the case with some cultures, be attributed to 'Shamans" - but where did the Shamans get it from? Magic?
Or Aliens? They used to think the Shamans were performing magic - Believe in magic if you want - I'd sooner believe
in contact with an advanced alien species [ancient astronauts] in the past history of humanity

Erm, logic test : where did the "aliens" get their knowledge from ? Aliens of aliens and then aliens of aliens of aliens. Until eventually you end up with the "first" aliens who MUST have developed the knowledge themselves from scratch.........just as humans did !!!!

Now before you leap in there with a "aliens had technology BEFORE herbology and it was the technology that helped them develop the database" line, think on this. In order for any civilisation to become technological it has to have the time to do so. That time will occur if the citizens are fairly healthy.If they are dropping dead before 25/30 then they won't get the chance. soooo herbology and a relatively healthy population must precede technological development.

Another point ; how come these aliens parted with their knowledge multiple times across multiple cultures over a period of a few thousand years? Why bother ? Who the hell puts in their diary "must re-visit earth in 1245 years at the other side of the globe as yet another culture seems to be evolving". Surely the vast universe has far far more interesting sights to see and cultures to visit than a pre-industrial earth. Jesus H what a depressing thought : medievel England is the most interesting place to re-visit in the universe!

With your logic aliens MUST have taught humans that kidney beans are OK to eat as long as you cook them long enough. Potatoes are OK to eat as long as you avoid the eyes. Rhubarb is OK to eat as long you avoid the leaves. Chillis burn like hell but they are safe. Your dog gets poisoned by chocolate but its ok for you......after also being told it tastes nice once mixed with milk and sugar. Castor oil is healthy but the husks are deadly. Cassava is perfectly safe as long as you cook it properly etc etc

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by AlienView

i thought shamans said the plants themselves told them about these medicines lol

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   

primitive cultures could not have obtained an often valid medicinal base for herbs by random chance.

I agree.There was nothing random about it. Aliens probably didn't help either. I'm not saying it isn't possible, just not probable.

Have you ever had a "gut feeling" about something? Ever heard of a "woman's intuition"? Yeah, something like that. People are so far removed from nature anymore that they cannot conceive how something like the use of herbs can be intuitively known, yet it was. And the idea of intuition is becoming more and more like a joke to people, while the field of medicine is something people think only the Gods, aliens or someone with 16 years of schooling can handle.

The closer you are to something on a daily basis, the more intuitive you are going to be with it. This is common knowledge. Or at least it used to be. Are you in your 20's? If so, you probably grew up in a house where there was at least one computer. Ever wonder how some teenagers are able to hack into a site like NASA'S? The aliens didn't help them do it, they grew up around that technology and somehow have this intuition that seems built into them that makes it easy for them to learn. Much like our ancestors with the things that grew out of the ground. Some kids spend 20 hours a day on the computer and know so much they could make Bill Gates blush. Spend all of your days surrounded by nature with nothing to do, and chances are good that will get very in tune with all of it's workings.

Besides which, your OP was full of personal opinions and theories. Pics and links or it didn't happen.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   

The use of herbs for medicinal purposes can historically be dated as far back as 3500 BC in Egypt and 2500 BC in China. Modern day science has shown that many of these herbs do indeed have medicinal properties and contain chemical compounds that have curative properties. Since people back then did not have any way to scientifically evaluate these herbs we must ask ourselves how these ancient cultures came up with the right herbs to use and often used them for purposes that modern science shows are valid for the uses to which they were put to use. Some might say it was just the 'random chance' use of the various plants and coincidentally they found they worked!!! I ask you with all the many thousands of different plants/herbs that nature produces what are the odds that the right herb could be found for the right condition by random chance trial and error??? Very, very small, in fact it might be easier to take the old expression, 'give enough monkeys enough typewrites and eventually they will type out the Encyclopedia Britannica' - that will never happen; And primitive cultures could not have obtained an often valid medicinal base for herbs by random chance.

Therefor I propose that say 'Ancient Astronauts' [aliens] somehow communicated a data base of medicinal base herbology to ancient cultures which often is still valid and used in modern day herbalism. Alien contact can be considered as fact and herbalism is another indication of it.

I really think that everything on this earth has a reason, every plant has a purpose and whatever humans create to solve problems has dire negative consequences, nature is perfect. Yet, we try to go around it and everytime we do, we cause more problems. We don't know enough about our surroundings to be playing with it and manipulating it. I strongly believe that we were always meant to live in Harmony with nature, as nature provides. We create medicine that mimics the effects of known natural plants, the problem is we're not perfect so whatever we create won't be perfect. Every living things on this planet is connected and whatever change we bring to this natural order affects everything else. When humans didn't know about electricity or the wheel, I can assure you they were living just fine. We're creating artificial needs that in the end, will cause our downfall. We're kind of like a cancer that grows and grows destroying its host. Where animals are living in harmony with its host. They have zero impact on this planet and they seem to be just fine if it wasn't for us, humans.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

Exactly, It's quite sad to think that some of us think we're not capable of such thing that we have to resort to thinking ET's taught us a majority of things. It's kind of like insulting yourself in a way.

We learn things in a variety of ways, trial & error, word of mouth & by watching/learning from others.
I do believe ET's have helped us with technology but not really with nature.
I spend quite a lot of time on the computer, no one really taught me how to do a lot of things I know how to do now, I taught myself these things through figuring it out myself & seeing what worked for me. As they say, practice makes perfect

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Um, no. People are more than capable of noting the effects of various herbs, and learning which ones do what. To assume that this, or any other knowledge, is beyond human abilities, and must be some "alien influence" is illogical, and also insulting to humanity. If we were that stupid, an alien race wouldn't be able to teach us a thing.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tylerdurden1
reply to post by abeverage

Go ahead and make fun of other opinions on the subject. Thats cool to each his own, its just not too classy.

As it has been said...
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. I have seen no evidence if I had seen some I would love to debate and explore it otherwise it is of opinion and conjecture. So I would rather add some humor to the opinion instead of arguing someones thoughts.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyGreenEyes

If we were that stupid, an alien race wouldn't be able to teach us a thing.

I imagine an alien face palming constantly if we were that stupid...

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by nms120113

That makes an awesome mental picture!

I never understood why people think we can't do anything on our own.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 02:32 AM
link   
as a child i would mix different things together with my spit trying to create something. they probably did something along those lines

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 02:50 AM
link   

It's called trial and error, dude.

Ancient man didn't have our modern concept of sanitation, yet they still didn't dump in the same spot where they slept! PROOF of ancient aliens!!

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   
You want to consider that throughout mans existence people have been trying to find ways to heal injuries, illness and aging. Also, these efforts have been sponsored by ancient heads of state giving researchers the best resources of the time.

Also, people have not always eaten the foods we eat grown agriculturally. Ancient peoples had to forage for plants, roots, bark and so on and discovered some benefits along the way.

Then there is the field of alchemy, the pseudoscience that accidentally discovered many chemical properties we use today.

So while I lack sufficient data to rule out alien intervention, I do believe man could have done it on his own.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
The other day I woke up with a hangover. On a whim, I mixed egg whites, orange juice and Jalapeños. Hangover gone

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage

Originally posted by Tylerdurden1
reply to post by abeverage

Go ahead and make fun of other opinions on the subject. Thats cool to each his own, its just not too classy.

As it has been said...
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. I have seen no evidence if I had seen some I would love to debate and explore it otherwise it is of opinion and conjecture. So I would rather add some humor to the opinion instead of arguing someones thoughts.

Toche. It sucks there isnt any evidence, you are right it just a theory. I like to argue about these things! I just seen you and another making fun of the OP, I thought it was a bit tasteless is all. I didnt view it as humor until you explained it.

I do not doubt that humans could be capible of such things, but I think the time line probably would have been slower if they had not gotten some sort of push. Im not saying that everything is all about aliens, but I think they put us here in different forms. Then they tested us. Our ancestors were the smartest of them bunch so they ran with us.

So it also brings up the question if this were the case....why? I like to look at things from different angles. So if the OP wants to state that aliens hleps humanity in most aspects, i tend to run with it, and try to explore the posibilities. The anunnaki talked about sun gods teaching them things, so why not herbology? Its a good debate I think

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
abeverage, explain this then, seems no one else can.

Originally posted by knoxie
there is a brew in South America that even Ethnobotanists can't quite comprehend how the shaman's knew.

Terence McKenna
“How they made this discovery – take plant A and plant B and combine them – that’s where the mystery lies… Because, of the 80,000 or so plant species in the Amazon, how would the shamans figure out that if you combine just this one with just that one you would come up with this powerful hallucinogen out of all the ones they might have selected? Neither one…is something that one would be motivated to consume. They don’t look good to eat, and they’re NOT good to eat, and yet they figured this out.” - See more at: ayahuascarecipe.org...
edit on 16-7-2013 by knoxie because: (no reason given)
[/quote
edit on 17-7-2013 by knoxie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by knoxie

They had plenty of free time?

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by DPrice

80,000 plants in the amazon, free time?? combining two from 80,000 mind you..

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by knoxie

AH! Finally something to debate!

Next time if you want the person to be included in the conversation hit the "reply to me" button. If I hadn't been looking over Tylerdurden1's reply and happened to see my name mentioned in the following post I would have not known you posted this.

Interestingly enough I was just looking at the effects of that concoction (don't want to violate T&C by naming it) Mckenna is studying. I do believe in high strangeness or I would be on ATS. This to me is synchronicity at it's finest and I thank you for this reply!

Dennis (not Terence) McKenna offers a good argument but in no way suggests Alien influence. Let me pose another one other than aliens. Who is to say that in the past 500,000 years humanity is only now at the pinnacle of civilization? Who's to say that as McKenna suggests the plants didn't communicate to our early ancestors? Or God told them?

I am curious of this do you think that Humans are too stupid to figure out things on their own? And that is at the root (hehe) of my humor. See I do think people have great and marvelous things and possibly with some help but we have to define or understand where that help is coming from before we make assumptions.

The OP gave no proof of indications of Alien contact in herbology.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   

reply to post by DPrice

Perhaps those 2 plants grew very close together or are even are symbiotic in nature or maybe they just had a lucky accident?

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by knoxie

reply to post by DPrice

The answer is most likely much more mundane...

Let's use McKenna's A & B example and let's also assume there are MANY tribes in the Amazon where these 80,000 plants grow. Most of these tribes trade between each other, both knowledge and resources.

Tribe 1 uses plant A
Tribe 2 uses plant B

While in the process of an exchange tribe 2 offers plant B as a means of curing something or other. Tribe 1 takes this plant but offers they use plant A for a similar purpose. Now both plants are in both tribes hands. Humans being a naturally curious being start to experiment with it creating a useful purpose for that plant.

This type of exchange goes on with Tribe 1 & 2 exchanges with other tribes and low and behold you have tribes on one end the Amazon trading for and using a plant that only exists on the other side by tribal interaction. This is what we call networking in the modern day.

In order to to accept the extraordinary claims of alien contact giving us herbology you must first disprove the more likely theories, otherwise you are simply speculating.

And Ethnobotany is the study of how to properly identify, gather, and prepare wild plants for meals, medicines, and tools, not herbology.

Here a school that teaches exactly what is being proposed aliens taught us.
www.wildernesscollege.com...

I am also not saying alien contact now or in the distant past isn't or wasn't possible but come give us a little credit. Humans are a very smart, curious and adaptive creature capable of great things.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join