It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

38 arrested in operations against mafia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   

38 arrested in operations against mafia

www.thestandard.com.hk

(07-12 17:28)

A major police operation in Italy on Friday led to the arrest of 38 people, including almost every member of a southern town council, for alleged mafia connections.
Police swooped on addresses across southern Italy as part of the latest crackdown on corruption in local authorities, AFP reports.
Among those held by police were several council members in the town of Scalea, including the mayor.
Pasquale Basile, head of the town of 11,000 residents since 2010, is suspected of being an intermediary between two rival mafia clans and handing out contracts to mafia firms.
Five ou
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Is it just me or the more Italian Mafia bust worldwide may just be a way to clear out the "rats". I mean everytime this happens a smalldent comes their way but it really makes them more powerful. I went on a recent trip to NJ and things are looking better than ever, meaning businesses are looking up. Come on folks, the Mafia is not going away.

www.thestandard.com.hk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by chisisiCoptos
including almost every member of a southern town counci

Does this mean America should let Amanda Knox be retried?
edit on 16-7-2013 by Miracula because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by chisisiCoptos

I believe that it is likely that no significant damage will be done to the Mafia by the recent arrests. It is likely that some suspects will be released, evidence will go missing, witnesses will not be forthcoming, cases will collapse, and the whole process will begin again.

The only way to really change the face of this issue, and free the streets, councils, and even the government of Italy from the grip of the Mafia, will basically be to kill them all. No judges, no juries, no due process. Just total oblivion. Give these people just an inch, and they will take everything back, no matter how trodden down. Its not pretty, but that is the reality of the situation. Unless they are wiped out, buried, totally crushed, they will return.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   
"Mafia" is a fiction like "terrorist" and "witch".

Just a bad name, label, whatever they want to give to people. There was a high point with the Italians where the legend and lore was getting close to reality, but today you have "made" guys who turn informant, and as much the BS they feed their underlings, they'd them believe all sorts of things... The ironic thing is believe in power makes it a reality.

In the end, people are just people.

You could find a lunch lady more evil or scary than a mob boss.

True story.

Curious when they will stop throwing these names around simply to crack out ridiculous sentences and "proceeds" judgements.

"That guys a dun dun dun.. mafia, so let's take his car, house, and kids boys. Oh, and throw in the spaghetti sauce."

Oy vey

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Wow, who set THAT into motion? This is a very limited picture of what happened... I wonder if they'll make a movie out of it in 20 years or so?

new topics

top topics

join