It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Edward Snowden nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+29 more 
posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I couldn't see this posted yet so please delete if old news.

Edward Snowden received a Nobel Peace Prize nomination from Swedish sociology professor Stefan Svallfors. The nomination explains that Snowden’s exposure of United States government surveillance has increased world safety.

www.inquisitr.com...

"Edward Snowden has – in a heroic effort at great personal cost – revealed the existence and extent of the surveillance, the U.S. government devotes electronic communications worldwide. By putting light on this monitoring program… Edward Snowden has helped to make the world a little bit better and safer.”

This would go somewhere towards restoring the credibility of the Nobel Peace Prize after somehow it was awarded to Obama in 2009.

edit on 15-7-2013 by Samuelis because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I wonder if there are any regrets for giving one to Obama - who clearly did nothing to earn it - which, coincidently, cheapened the award.

+33 more 
posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
They should just strip Obama's and hand it directly over to Snowden. Seems ironic and fitting enough to me. The man hired by the government to spy on the nation turns against the state and exposes the man elected by the people to run the country.
edit on 7/15/2013 by SpaDe_ because: .....

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Do you have a link for that, it's late here.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Samuelis

Somewhat prophetically I wrote on this very topic not so long ago - I would have preferred to have written this thread rather than a simple post in someone else's thread on the (by now) well battered and bruised topic of Edward Snowden - ‘Heroic effort at great personal cost’: Edward Snowden nominated for Nobel Peace Prize rt.com...

======================================================================================
I wrote this a couple of weeks ago - not sure if I had actually posted it or not. But I think not, only because (then as now) ATS's rules against new-comers posting threads must have prevented me from doing so.

"Admittedly, The Nobel Peace Prize was made a mockery by meaningless choices long before this absurd decision by the committee to award the prize to Obama.

Obama wins Peace Prize and 1.4 million dollars for 12 days worth of work!

No longer will the peace prize mean anything — even retrospectively.
Since Woodrow Wilson, the Nobel “Peace” Prize has gone to presidents who promoted peace through war.

The Norwegian Nobel committee had lost all credibility when, in 2009, a short time after his election to the presidency it awarded the coveted, and traditionally respectable 'prize for peace' to Barack Obama long before he would have had the opportunity to prove his worthiness. The pretext for the prize was Mr. Obama’s decision to “strengthen international diplomacy and co-operation between peoples.” The prize was granted on a false hope rather than on merit.

Instead, the prize has become preposterous in its claims, patronizing in its intentions and demeaning in its attempt to build up a man who had barely begun his period in office, let alone achieved any tangible outcome for peace.

Every conscionable person knows that the awarding of the peace prize to Barack Obama was a mockery; an injustice to more deserving persons who had come before him such as Lech Wałęsa, Mother Theresa, and Aung San Suu Kyi for example. Rather, it fell right in line with those notoriously undeserving recipients namely: Jimmy Carter, Yasir Arafat, and Al Gore.

To restore that lost credibility, which incidentally, bears with it two key components: trustworthiness and expertise, neither of which Barack Obama presently enjoys, nor was he in possession of these qualities at the time of the award, it would be best to annul Barack Obama's Nobel Peace Prize.

Since the prize awarded to the president was largely symbolic - in its nature and in its intention - its being suggested here that the same be done for whistle-blowers in order to make things right and to fill the void left by the vacancy of the Obama award.

In its place the committee should consider the bestowal of a joint prize for peace consisting of three persons, but that several names be placed in nomination: among them - Julian Assange, Edward Snowden, Bradley Manning, Russ Tice, Sibel Edmonds, Andrew Breitbart, Michael Hastings, and Edward Drake."

edit on 15-7-2013 by Lysistrata because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Indeed give it to Snowden, or least give the chance of him against the other whistle blowers* in the article that can be considered for it, albeit there may be the issue as expressed of him being a fugitive. Though, it was given to Obama who is not not in favor of peace anyway, why not bend the rules again.

Snowden now joins fellow whistle blowers WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange and Army Private Bradley Manning as Nobel Peace Prize nominees.
Op source

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Oh please!

Continue making a mockery of the Nobel Peace Prize.

How about actually nominate someone who actually deserves it.

Instead of reality tv stars.

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
He also had this to say according to RT! Lol

A Swedish sociology professor has nominated Edward Snowden for the Nobel Peace Prize. He says the NSA whistleblower could help “save the prize from the disrepute incurred by the hasty and ill-conceived decision” to give the 2009 award to Barack Obama.

I love this guy.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_
They should just strip Obama's and hand it directly over to Snowden.
My thoughts exactly!

Obama has done nothing to deserve getting a noble peace prize. It disgusted me when I saw it and really made me lose a lot of faith in the whole thing. If one of these whistle blowers gets the prize, some faith restored.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Oh please!

He actually does actually deserve it.

We'll he doesn't make many appearances for a so called reality star.
edit on 15-7-2013 by Samuelis because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
link   

Oh please!

Who in your opinion is a more deserving person to receive this once coveted award?

I really don't see how Snowden could be compared to a reality TV star. His life since he came out as a whistle blower is now socially over. He can never return to his home country and he must now spend his remaining days a political refugee in exile in whatever foreign country will grant him asylum. Not seeing any correlation there with being a reality TV star.

edit on 7/15/2013 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

link   
I think the Peace Prize has lost virtually all meaning and special status as a true World Class award. This is wrong on multiple levels. First, as he is leaving a career of being an intelligence officer, then successful and apparently accomplished contractor for years following that. If all is as it seems (which is another matter altogether) then he's probably gone a good distance in Karmic balance for what he's done and who it's already hurt in life. To get a peace prize for clearing his own conscience? That's not what I understood that to have originally or traditionally been meant for.

It's just a lump of metal and a certificate these days.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Given the events that have transpired, and also considering the significant power shifts that can be attributed to Snowden's leaks, I think it's fair to say that at the very least he's provided motivation for a second American Revolution. The future of this country, as it stands now, is anyone's guess. Nobel Peace Prize well deserved. Snowden is a true patriot willing to die for the people, not the state.

That said, does anyone else feel like they're watching a Jason Bourne movie with all of this?

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Why not. Obammy has 1.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Samuelis

This would go somewhere towards restoring the credibility of the Nobel Peace Prize after somehow it was awarded to Obama IMO

If he does win it - they should hold the ceremony in China or Red Square...

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

Who in your opinion is a more deserving person to receive this once coveted award?

Someone who cures cancer.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Since those individuals seem to be in short supply these days, who would be your second choice?

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   
well why not it would stick the alphabet agency's noses in it

i would cheer for that

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   

The Nobel Peace Prize has been awarded 93 times to 124 Nobel Laureates between 1901 and 2012, 100 individuals and 24 organizations. Since International Committee of the Red Cross was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1917, 1944 and 1963, and the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1954 and 1981, 100 individuals and 21 organizations have been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. Click on the links to get more information.

And the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize goes to:

Barack H. Obama

The Nobel Peace Prize 2009 was awarded to Barack H. Obama "for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples".

As Obama adds another log to the Trayvon fire.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   

reply to post by SpaDe_

Someone who cures cancer.

When someone does, I'm sure they'll get it.

Snowden deserves it because he is attempting to bring about a real PEACE in the world, but putting everything out in the open so that maybe the great powers of the world will actually try to be peaceful to their citizens.

~Namaste
edit on 15-7-2013 by SonOfTheLawOfOne because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join