It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother's Anger Over 'Water Refusal' To Respect Ramadan in Public School

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk...

What I take this to mean is that some must be tolerant and considerate of other beliefs but should not expect the same in return. All religions have levels of intolerance and certainly the Muslims are in the top of the list with many instances of invoking Sharia Law on the streets of a predominately Christian Country where they are "Guests".

In all fairness the student and parent state that he was "refused" while the school holds to "asked to consider".

"We do everything that we can to ensure the welfare of all of our children and we would never prevent them from having access to water. In this case, water was available and pupils were just reminded to be respectful to their classmates who were unable to drink in this hot weather."
But does this really matter? Should it be an issue at all? People should be free to practice whatever religion they choose as long as it doesn't effect those around of a different belief. Well IMO anyway.

One more point to consider is the mother sees it as a racist/non-racist issue. When did Muslim become a Race?

www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk...
Kora Blagden, 32, said her son Luke returned home from Charles Dickens Primary School in Portsmouth, Hampshire, on Thursday complaining he was dehydrated after not drinking water throughout the day.

She said he told her he had asked to drink from his water bottle but the teacher had asked him to consider Muslim pupils who were observing Ramadan, particularly one child who had a headache.

Mrs Blagden said that the teacher had told Luke that if he was to drink in front of them, it would be tantamount to "teasing".

She added that the water bottles were not kept on the table as usual but were being stored in a tray to keep them out of the sight of the fasting children.

Please note that this is NOT an ANTI anything thread but rather just an attempt on my part to show how ridiculous religion has become and that sooner or later it's going to be a serious crime to fart in front of a Christian or wear a cross in front of a Muslim.

Perhaps this will end up in the rant section?

Peace

edit on 14-7-2013 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Sadly this is the world we live in now.
You are expected to respect other cultures but with some people it is not returned...
There is not enough info regarding this story "ie, was it refusal of or just the teacher coercing the students" and not to mention some may see it as a racist issue. Expect the trolls real soon.
If there was a room they could go to during school to have a drink without other children seeing them this would be a non issue.

However, If my son came home from school on a hot day and told me that they were not allowed to drink water all day because other students weren't allowed to, I'd be having rather stern words with the schools principal.
Not sure if this applies but isn't this against a teacher's Duty of Care?? Not to mention if a child suffers from dehydration because of this and has to be hospitalised, does this not leave the school open to litigation...

Que people calling us racist in 3...2...1...

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Sounds like someone misunderstood a request to not drink IN FRONT OF the Muslim kid as a command to not drink all day. I don't believe the kid was denied water. It's just another sensational story.

They said it would be unfair if the other pupils were to drink in front of that child, Luke agreed and he took it that he couldn't drink water all day."

Luke misunderstood. Source
edit on 7/14/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I was running a crew of Turks for several months in Iraq putting in power grids and generators. Some of these guys were pretty old and the climate was murder during Ramadan.
I always had a place (tent, shed, bunker, shipping container) where you couldn't be seen by the other workers, and kept cold water and food in a cooler.
I set up an all day time schedule so one man at a time was on break to lay down and cool off. The guys would take frequent breaks to rest from the heat and if they felt ill would drink water and (rarely) eat a little food. They did this out of sight of the others.
They didn't ask or tell as far as I knew. It was their choice not mine.
None of them ever went and looked into the shelter to see if the person there was drinking water.

I never said anything about it to them but I'd drink water where they couldn't see me. This wasn't out of respect for their religion but as a courtesy because I knew they were thirsty.

All of that being said,

I see no reason that any teacher should even think to hint or suggest a student alter his or her behavior simply because some students choose not to drink water.
If that kid wants to tip a cold jug of aquafina and guzzle the whole damn thing the teacher needs to keep her mouth shut and teach class....not religious tolerance.

edit on 14-7-2013 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

You don't find it a little ridiculous to request that of a child? Kids are impressionable and making the act of drinking water into something to feel guilty about as it might make the other children jealous or what have you is ludicrous and potentially dangerous. The kids denying themselves water obviously know why the other student is getting up and going out of sight, and the kids getting up being made to feel guilty are going to be less likely to hydrate.

I'm sure the teacher had the best of intentions.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Sounds like someone misunderstood a request to not drink IN FRONT OF the Muslim kid as a command to not drink all day. I don't believe the kid was denied water. It's just another sensational story.

They said it would be unfair if the other pupils were to drink in front of that child, Luke agreed and he took it that he couldn't drink water all day."

Exactly as stated in my OP. He was told one thing, heard another and stated same to mom.

The article does state both but that's not what is important here IMO. I believe it should never have taken this far at all. The child misunderstood which makes the mother enraged but it all stems from the teacher in saying what should never have been said.

The kid has a right to drink water and when asked to be sensitive to others not allowed, the answer should be "Are they sensitive to my needs to need a sip?"

In other words, religion has no place in school and a teacher has no place in between. IMO of course.

Peace

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

You don't find it a little ridiculous to request that of a child? Kids are impressionable and making the act of drinking water into something to feel guilty about as it might make the other children jealous or what have you is ludicrous and potentially dangerous. The kids denying themselves water obviously know why the other student is getting up and going out of sight, and the kids getting up being made to feel guilty are going to be less likely to hydrate.

I'm sure the teacher had the best of intentions.

I believe you may be right about the intent of the teacher.

Unfortunately we now live in a World where the best intentions can get you fired or worse.

Peace

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I certainly hope she isn't fired/given much grief. I do think that this incident should spark a discussion about religion in schools and if children should be expected to hide something as natural as drinking water in order to appease a religious minority. I would take issue with students outright teasing the muslim kids and making a show out of eating or drinking but I don't like the slope as it seems slippery.

I really wouldn't be surprised to hear students are discouraged from eating their pork products in the vicinity of muslims soon. Shoot are the kids discouraged from eating lunch in front of these students too? It would make sense considering.

Again, these are freaking kids. Asking them to hide something so as not to tease could easily be taken as you're a meanie even if you hide (impossible) that you're drinking water.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   

The kid never should have been told not to drink in front of the Muslim kid. Especially since Islam claims there is Jo compulsion in religion.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Nevermind the non-muslim child who didn't get a drink .... read the other information in the article.

So in the middle of the heat of summer, the poor little muslim kid had a headache and couldn't drink water because of Ramadan? Obviously the child with a headache NEEDED water. Heck, even the outdated Catholic faith make exceptions in fasting for water and medicine and food if there is a medical necessity. I feel bad for the muslim child with the headache ... stuck suffering because of the backwards religion of the parents. And the school couldn't administer needed hydration to the suffering child???? WOW.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Muslims can drink water before sundown. It's the only thing they can do before sundown during Ramadan. Kinda takes the wind out this whole story. Is it even real or is it hate propaganda? Doesn't make sense to me. Sounds likes its made up since the writer apparently doesn't know about Ramadan.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Even so, it's still a stupid request. Why shouldn't the kid drink water in front of the Muslim kid? How is that disrespectful? Nobody is forcing the Muslim kid to drink water. The Muslim kid isn't going to get in trouble with his sky daddy because somebody drank water in front of him. I understand that people have the right to practice their religion in free countries and all... but there are some instances where a person's religion actually infringes on the freedoms of others.

new topics

top topics

join