It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The New Fad of Lying Between Train Tracks and the Train Speeding Overhead

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
This is not a new fad. People have been doing this since train tracks were around. If you google it, you'll see stories from way back.

Daredevils are a strange breed.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
Think of the effect it has on the poor engineer driving that train.

He's just doing his job, and sees some idiot on the tracks. He can't stop, all he can do is blow the whistle and worry.

If I was an engineer and I seen some stupid kid laying on the tracks like that, I would go back to my book or look out another window.
As it is there is no way to stop, what else can you do?

As for remorse over the death of one so retarded, I would have none. Just chalk it up to natural selection as many have already said.

Also, for anyone who ever goes to PG (Pretty sure I can't say the name, maybe PG is even too much) there are already some fail videos of this display of utter stupidity.

Sorry, but I have zero compassion for anyone who knows this is very possibly fatal, yet does it anyway.

Oh and in regards to the comment asking if this was a case for YouTube censoring...
Of the top of my head I would say yes, but then if they ban something like this, how much further will the banning go?
We all know how many stupid stunts there are on YT.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Thank you, I was going to wonder when SOMEONE was going to point out that "tresseling" the practice of laying down between the train tracks and letting the train run over you is an old fad.

Yes, idiotic, especially back in the days when there was a possibility of a cattle catcher on the train.
edit on 14-7-2013 by HauntWok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
people have been doing this for a while now, but i'm surprised this is receiving media attention now...

is this the new "planking" (?) (which the media also supported?) ..at least one person died from planking...

(sometimes i wonder..) do "they" want people to hurt themselves?

uhh, don't try this at home, kids... O_o

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
For one, these people don't realize the legal consequences that will come about if they are caught whether it be railroad police or the local police. It will constitute a trespassing charge if and when they are caught. They don't even begin to think about the couple thousand dollar fine that comes along with that charge. Which in cases like these, it could amount to a possible federal charge due to where railroad police are considered Federal agents due to them being employed by the railroad.

Another thing is that these people don't seem to think that they are putting themselves in harm's way. They think that it is just a game and that nothing will happen to them. It's not bravado that is causing these teenagers and adults to do this. It is the fact that not one of them cares about the consequences that come from doing such an act like this. They don't care about any of the legal, health, and mental consequences that could come about. Let's say that a kid tries to do this and gets killed over it after being dared by their friends. They don't care about the trauma that would be inflicted not only on their family. They don't care about the trauma that could be inflicted on the train crew.

I'll close out by saying this and this last paragraph only.
A friend of mine has been an engineer with CSX Transportation for over thirty years. Yes he has hit and killed people over the years. There is this one incident that he will hardly ever talk about and it has been over twenty years since it happened. One morning, he struck and killed a fifteen year old boy who was walking the tracks on a bridge over a river. He remembers coming around the curve and trying to warn the boy with the horn and bell. He was helpless in the fact that he tried everything he could to keep the boy from getting hit. He was traumatized after the incident and even went to the kid's funeral to help him deal with the stress over hitting the kid. Even to this day, he hardly ever talks about the incident when asked about it.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by playernumber13

Originally posted by thefifthcat
reply to post by davethebear

Is this a case where censorship might actually be a good thing, surely it is recklessly irresponsible for YouTube to host a video that might encourage the young and impressionable to follow suit? Planking was bad enough, but at least on the most part it wasn't that dangerous.

Honestly?

If you don't have enough god damn sense to understand how dangerous and stupid this stunt is then good luck wiping your own butt.

Interesting use of the word "butt" for someone, who gives their location as the UK, surely the colloquial would be "ar*e", or is that one deemed a violation of the T&C's, enquiring minds want to know?

Anyhow, I am glad you raised this point. People are complaining, the poor driver, the risk to the kid, when one of the little darlings is wiped out, the cry will go up, as it always does "the authorities should have done something". The logical thing to do, for the good of the populace as I originally suggested is to censor the video, so as not to put bad ideas into the hands of people, who clearly do not have the brains, with which they were born.

Oh hang on......... that sounds like every single piece of information out there, that has been censored, cleaned up, spun, and sanitised for our consumption. Thanks for helping me see the light!

With population levels such as they are, maybe we should be encouraging this behaviour and fitting more snow ploughs to trains.

A thousand blessings on you all!

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
We all have the freedumb to this kind of stuff...

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pegasus2000
I don't mean to sound Cold!
But Anyone with brains enough to try something stupid as this deserves a trip to the Morgue!

Its natures way of cleaning up the Gene pool.

Yes I agree Stupidity Attrition should help purge out the morons but it seems to be working less and less these days...

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
this (my comment) is just going to serve as a 'research' link

UNIT76

(sometimes i wonder..) do "they" want people to hurt themselves?

thefifthcat (..one of "they / them" ?
)

With population levels such as they are, maybe we should be encouraging this behaviour and fitting more snow ploughs to trains.

*let me "clarify" (explain) why i suggest fifthcat is (now) "one of them" (yes, that is for the most part, just humor on my part) ...but this person has received an influence from somewhere, and now re-broadcasts that influence (to others..)

thefifthcat

A thousand blessings on you all!

you'll forgive me for saying, your 'blessing' seems a little hollow and empty (?)

...bush snr. (amongst others) also spoke of 'a thousand points of light' (?) (this is probably "too far a swim" for some, as one member here at ats puts it)

~~ Interesting use of the word "blessings" for someone, who seems to be saying the whole scene is not 'OK', surely the colloquial would be "take care of yourself", (or is that one deemed a violation of the T&C's), enquiring minds want to know?

(but i jest, and) ..you had me at "population levels" and "encouraging this behavior"

..or were you just being sarcastic and witty? kind of like how lady gaga supposedly wears the body mods to protest against the body mods?

this is all part of what i am trying to raise awareness on, (the natural encodings through speech/text). if one pays attention to the things others are saying/typing, there are multiple "layers" of content and meaning to be gleaned.

(FURTHER RESEARCH LINKS)
so when we are talking about "FADS", and "messages that are going out into the society at large", one may also consider associated facets such as, subliminal messages, trans-humanism, and the most mysterious of them all.

..you will notice in all this just now, nowhere have i ranted about "God" and/or "Jesus" (?)
..but since we are here 'plugging' our beliefs i might just say, (please) 'consider reading the bible instead of laying on some railway track somewhere'

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by davethebear

What do you guys think?

Darwinism at its finest?
Culling the herd?

No problem with it here. Can't fight evolution, and can't drag the strays after us....
This is just Mother Nature's way of ensuring the survival of the fittest. Those who choose NOT to lie under speeding trains, get the opportunity to propagate the species....

edit on 15-7-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

This is just Mother Nature's way of ensuring the survival of the fittest. Those who choose NOT to lie under speeding trains, get the opportunity to propagate the species....

(i) would tend to "agree" (somewhat) with this 'conclusion' (re: mother nature)
were it not for the fact that this is currently being picked-up and "encouraged" by the "social media"

anyway, (i'm hoping) this will be the last time i post in this topic.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
If someone does this because they felt pressure from Facebook, I'd think my natural selection argument would still apply....

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join