It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harry Reid on Zimmerman Verdict: ‘I Think the Justice Dept. Is Going to Take a Look…This Isn’t

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
First he says this:

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) said the Justice Department should review George Zimmerman’s case following his acquittal in the shooting death of Florida teenager Trayvon Martin

Then he says this:

Reid, a former trial lawyer, said on NBC’s “Meet the Press” he doesn’t always agree with jury verdicts, “but that’s the system and I support this system.”

Source

So Reid supports the system then says the Department of Injustice shoud 'take a closer look' !

What way do you want to have it Reid?

The system worked like it was suppose to so enough with the politics already, which exactly why that 'case' went national in the first place.

The progressive liberal agenda took a massive blow so what do they do?

Keep manipulating the system until they get what 'they want'.

Everyday more, and more I am truly ashamed of my country.

Hope Hispanics are paying attention to the GZ trial whispering sweet nothing's in to their ears about immigration 'reform' when it comes down right to it when it comes to political agendas ?

You don't really matter for nothing at all.

This thread is not about the GZ trial already too many this is about the POLITICS now so not interested in rehashing everything all over again.

Harry Reid do this country a favor and QUIT.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Don't be ashamed of your Country.

Hope folks can wake up and change what needs changing, brother.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Someone beat you to the topic. Thread exists in this very forum here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by _BoneZ_
reply to post by neo96

By 3 minutes first come first serve.

Mods please close.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

Originally posted by _BoneZ_
reply to post by neo96

By 3 minutes first come first serve.

Mods please close.

Yeah but your post actually has a source to look at for the story of the DOJ whereas the other doesn't have a single source. Following the embedded link in theblaze story, the NAACP and Sharpton are petitioning for the filing of civil rights charges on the basis of the right to life. What puzzles me is that, if Zimmerman was acquitted of all criminal charges relating to the taking of a life (murder/manslaughter), then how is civil charges on that basis not representative of double jeopardy? *Civil charges and criminal charges are separate things; however, I still think it stinks of double jeopardy. Just had to add that.
edit on 14/7/13 by WhiteAlice because: added the * section to clarify

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

Thought the difference with civil is it's all about money since the criminal case failed.

That is my take.
edit on 14-7-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

He's forced to pander to people who assumed Zimmerman was guilty by the media coverage which was heavy on emotion but scantily thin on facts.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Thought the difference with civil is it's all about money since the criminal case failed.

That is my take.

Mhmm, I don't believe civil cases have jail punishments but instead may have compensatory punishments. Thing is, if criminal charges are filed and the individual is acquitted of those charges, it still feels like it is attempting to retry the individual on the same charges but with a different outcome. If someone is found not guilty of a crime whether it be murder or manslaughter, then how is it that they can be brought to court on civil charges for the same thing that they were acquitted of? The same thing was done with OJ and he was found guilty in a civil court. The other major difference is one is a trial by jury and the other is decided by a judge. Still just feels weird, wish I could explain why it seems so weird to me better...maybe after more coffee.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   

it is attempting to retry the individual on the same charges but with a different outcome.

That is exactly what it is.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

The one thing that you wrote that I disagree with is (Everyday more, and more I am truly ashamed of my country.)

It is not the country it is the government that is corrupt. The people got it right by finding him not guilty.

It is groups like the D.O.J. and the N.A.A.C.P. that got it wrong. Oh yeah lets not forget the president himself. What an idiot.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Diisenchanted

The people didn't a court did.

However people are free to disagree.

I'm not like Reid.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Only in America can one be found innocent of a crime and held liable for damages from that crime at the same time... right O.J.?

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

The people did. It was a jury that found him not guilty not the court.

A jury of his peers hence the people.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
It's that stupid law that needs to be looked at. The Jury did what it had do based on Florida law. Even though I personally think that Zimmerman is guilty of manslaughter, he was acquitted. Even were the law to stricken down tomorrow it doesn't change the verdict, we can't retroactively re-arrest people and re-try them... what a can of worms that would be. He's a free man, I don't like it but that's the way it is. Harry Reid and the Injustice Dept should STFU.

ETA: Having a rethink here, though I still think the Department of Corporate Justice is corrupt along with the rest of our flip flopping whore government, I think there might be a civil rights case here after all, against the entire justice system. Sorry to whoever starred my original post, I'd give it back if I could.
edit on 14-7-2013 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
i got no problem with it, let it run. the more the better chance the word gets out.

reid is speaking out both sides of his mouth. playing both sides.
like i said in my thread, he is another snake in the grass, i can't wait tell he's gone.

he's the reason why we can't get rid of obamacare. he won't let it come to a vote in the senate.
the house has voted 37 times to repel, but ol harry won't let it come up.
edit on 14-7-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteAlice

That is my take.

Mhmm, I don't believe civil cases have jail punishments but instead may have compensatory punishments. Thing is, if criminal charges are filed and the individual is acquitted of those charges, it still feels like it is attempting to retry the individual on the same charges but with a different outcome. If someone is found not guilty of a crime whether it be murder or manslaughter, then how is it that they can be brought to court on civil charges for the same thing that they were acquitted of? The same thing was done with OJ and he was found guilty in a civil court. The other major difference is one is a trial by jury and the other is decided by a judge. Still just feels weird, wish I could explain why it seems so weird to me better...maybe after more coffee.

this is not the same as civil suit, this is about criminal civil rights violations. one of the talking heads this morning said that if it goes GZ could face life or maybe even death.
edit on 14-7-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
thought i would post this.

George Zimmerman may be immune from a civil.

this is a good article,

WASHINGTON — It’s extremely unlikely George Zimmerman will pay a civil fine for killing Trayvon Martin, according to lawyers in Florida and other legal experts. That leaves it up to the U.S. Justice Department to take up the cause of Martin’s supporters, a risky prospect in its own right thanks to the evidentiary problems that plagued state prosecutors. One Florida law professor said he’d be “stunned” if a federal prosecution of Zimmerman goes ahead.

above from this article.

Civil Case Against Zimmerman In Florida Has Little Chance Of Success

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Well,

The joke is on YOU Harry !!

and YOU, Al !!

and YOU Jesse !!

and anybody else who was involved in the MSM pre-trial 'prosecutions'.

The White House is in shambles over this

I bet the floors were creaking loud last night.
(did anybody think to wake up Barrack? or did they wait till morning?)

All these instigators are mud right now.

They are grasping for votes and are gagging and choking.

That's all this is.

Just cheap talk.

The credibility is dwindling.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
When did Harry Reid become the Senator from FL? Would it not be the governor first who would address any issue, then a Senator from the state? Is Harry king?

It appears that a Trial with the wrong outcome is a failed trial and one must be tried again and again until the right outcome is reached. Why bother with the trial at all?

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
As for a civil rights case.....

Published On: Feb 27 2013 03:40:56 PM EST Updated On: Feb 28 2013 07:36:25 AM EST

The FBI investigated whether Zimmerman acted with racial bias when he shot and killed Trayvon Martin last year. It found insufficient evidence to charge Zimmerman with a federal violation of Martin's civil rights.

FBI refuses to disclose records on Trayvon Martin investigation

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join