It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Women charged $5 per scream while giving birth

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Yes, you read that right! Women who give birth at a hospital in Zimbabwe are charged $5 for each time they scream due to labor pains!

In theory, it's to curb "false alarms," but it's really about "separating mothers from their money," writes Max Fisher.

The article also says that hospitals there also charge a $50 delivery fee. All of this doesn't seem like much money until you figure in that $50 is about one third of the average citizens yearly income there, explaining why so many women in Zimbabwe die trying to give birth at home.

Link To Article

This is so sad that women have to die in childbirth because of nothing but greed! How can this sort of extortion still be going on in the supposed "enlightened" society of the 21st century? Eight women die each day in Zimbabwe trying to give birth at home. It's heart breaking!

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

It's to stop women from screaming for no good reason...it's just child birth. JUST KIDDING!

No, this is just deplorable. It's not enough people have a hard time feeding themselves they have to take away their money for no reason at all.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

If I had been charged $5 every time I screamed during labor having my kids I probably could have built my own Birthing Wing by the time all was said and done! It's disgusting to take advantage of people like that when they are at their most vulnerable!

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Can you imagine the stack of money in Zimbabwe to pay that?

They have like 10 billion dollar bills or something crazy due to inflation.....People need backpacks full of money to purchase a loaf of bread.....Imagine the dumptruck needed to pay for each scream!!

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

Sort of makes you wonder what it would cost for open heart surgery-
never mind, something tells me that NOBODY could afford it!

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

I think even I as a quite well paid worker in Norway would have been poor from my wife's childbirth :p
And it was not a particularly bad one.. Only lasted about 12 hrs.

This is Zimbabwe though. The state there is broke. I'm sitting with a bill that is a couple of years old (one of the last versions before they caved on national currency). It has print on only one side was "worth" 100 trillion zim dollars.

I bought it for about $5 USD some time ago just for the kicks.

The whole country is in a really sad state.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by tyfon

The state of financial affairs in Zimbabwe is indeed sad. It frightens me to think that if the way things are going in the rest of the world continue we could all end up in the same state eventually. I hope that something like this doesn't catch on in hospitals in other countries. If I had been forced to give birth at home due to fiscal necessity my first child and I would have died during the process as both of my deliveries resulted in emergency C-sections after 24 hours of hard labor with the first and over 27 hours worth of hard labor with the second.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
wow.. this is messed up.. (but i bet the scientologists love it?)

i tend to lump all this crap in the "depopulation" basket these days.. unless there's some other "good reason" for obfuscating the birth of children?

OP reports "one" hospital in zimbabwe.. so as of now, this is not systematic?

..this is messed up

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   

WTF?!!! That's one of the most messed up things I've ever heard in my entire life. If I had given birth to my 10+ pound daughter in Zimbabwe, my children's children's children would be paying my bill.
edit on 7/12/2013 by gemineye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
For thousands of years women managed just fine without the need for hospitals. We're here aren't we!

Hospital births just seem so unnatural. We stick them in an environment full of people they dont know. We stick them on a bed with the business end pointing UP HILL !
And then when they finally manage to get the poor little child out we stuff it full of filthy vaccines

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by UNIT76

After re-reading the article it seems to me that it might actually be standard practice but I'm not sure on that. It's still ridiculous either way. I agree that it is possible that it is geared toward an overall depopulation agenda but as the only number given was 8 home childbirth deaths per month there is no other number listed to compare to percentage wise.

Those Scientologists with their "silent childbirth" fetish are complete nutbags if you ask me!

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

While women gave birth without hospitals for thousands of years how many of those women died during childbirth, and how many of those babies died without benefit of a sterile environment and trained medical professionals at hand? I would not be alive today were it not for giving birth at a hospital- neither would my mother or my sister.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Who wants to listen to that racket anyway? Keep your legs together and there won't be any excess fees.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by gemineye

10+ pounds? The must grow them big in your neck of the woods!

Congratulations for not strangling anyone to death during THAT labor and delivery!

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Thanks! hehe.
I didn't know it was humanly possible to be in so much pain. I didn't think I was dying... I knew I couldn't be fortunate enough to die! It was well worth it in the end, though. But, with that said, I have a friend who gave birth to a 12 and a half pound baby with absolutely N O T H I N G for pain!
edit on 7/12/2013 by gemineye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by suz62

If somebody had kept their legs together or hadn't made "that racket" you wouldn't be able to leave rude comments on discussion boards, and we just couldn't have that now could we? You would be sorely missed!

CX

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
The man that made that stupid rule up.....and it has to be a man as i don't believe any woman would be that stupid about such a subject......should be made to have a melon inserted into his bowel and charge him $5 every time he screams as he tries to pass it.

I'd even double his money if i could watch it.

CX.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

Dang, I would pay $10 per scream just to be able to watch that! I believe there is probably a special place in Hell (or whatever really bad afterlife digs he may believe in) for this jerk and any other jerk that would even suggest such a fee!

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I've heard those screams up close. I think it should be ten bucks myself. It will help pay for the maternity room staffs hearing aids.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
reply to post by suz62

If somebody had kept their legs together or hadn't made "that racket" you wouldn't be able to leave rude comments on discussion boards, and we just couldn't have that now could we? You would be sorely missed!

My mother wanted an abortion but they weren't legal yet unfortunately for me. So I was abused until I could move out of the house. I'm living proof of why abortion should remain legal. Thank you.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join