It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deep oceans warming at an alarming rate

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
The mechanism being suggested here makes a plausible explanation of why statistics for climate disruption arising from global warming show no significant warming, even though we feel it hotter than seasons have been for years. Two-thirds of the earth covered in deep seas and oceans enables a lot of heat to move down towards the depths which hides the data required to confirm an overall warming trend.

Obviously, the earth generates its own heat, but the vast majority, certainly at the surface, is due to solar radiation. Even if the data suggests that the sun is not emitting more radiation than what has been recorded over the last few decades or so, it could be that the 'goldilocks' distance is (or has) changed slightly, making the climate feel like we have moved towards the sun, and thus receiving a higher rate of heat. I'm not suggesting that the planet has moved physically towards the sun, but that it feels like it has

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
reply to post by MyHappyDogShiner

The effects of Global Warming can also be capitalized on. The best way to do that is to do nothing which is exactly what the US government has done regarding all of it. One side says it's happening, the other laughs and scoffs and say it's impossible for us to have any effect on the climate... the result? Little more than words.

Meanwhile the climate is changing and already having drastic effects in various areas and on various peoples, doing nothing ensures who gets to manage the consequences.

Regarding the topic...

Yes the oceans are warming, at the surface and down to about 600m it's fairly clear that AGW is responsible, if the very deep oceans are in fact warming as well, it's less clear and I'd like to read the scientific opinions on why.

All non-sense and BS...
The temps have not changed much since they began recording in the 50's for the Pacific Ocean. In my specific area, no studys have found any fluctuations beyond 2-3 degrees over 60 years.
Google Scripts Institute when you not consumed in AGW sewage websites.
edit on 12-7-2013 by Granite because: sp

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Panic2k11

well seem though you know it all why dont you tell us

or are you going to say do your own research

and i like the way you just jump on my reply

my reply was just an observation

and i think we are way past the time to be able to do anything to change global warming/cooling

whatever they decide to call it

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 04:52 AM
link   
IMO, the worst thing that has happenned to the entire climate change conversation has been the use of the phrase "man-made Global Warming". This phrase seems to be used to either inspire fear or derail logical thought.

Is the climate changing?

Yes, of course it is, it is in a constant state of flux. That is what nature does, it changes. The "natural balance" is not a stable structure, it is a perpetual motion pendulum...always moving.

Have we, mankind, caused climate change?

Hell no, at worst we have simply exacerbated a naturally occurring shift in global temperatures.

Can we make a difference in climate change?

Maybe, if ALL nations aggressively pursue control over greenhouse gases released by ALL industries, then we might just slow it down long enough for our technology to advance to the point where we could save our species.

Just remember, for every time the geologic record shows a spike in global temperatures, it shows a corresponding dip. Constant flux. It is the real natural order.

Have a great day all.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by maryhinge
three weeks ago i was at porthmadog black rock sands beach and it was a very hot day yet the water was like very cold infact it was that cold my legs were blue
then last week we went to Trearddur Bay, Isle of Anglesey same again very cold water

so if deep oceans are getting warmer why not the coastal waters why are they very cold and not warm?????

EDIT: So im with Britguy above my reply he has to be on to something in my opinion
edit on 12/7/2013 by maryhinge because: (no reason given)

oh my, the worst sunburn i ever got was at black rock sands, and that was in the early 80's, i can only imagine what it is like on a day like today when it is 32 deg

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by maryhinge

I have to say your mention of Porthmadog and Black Rock Sands really brought back memories for me. Spent many a year of my childhood in North Wales!

Just had to say it... it's not a place you hear of very often.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

if its volcanic im gonna claim me the first island that pops out of the ocean! ....it shall be the ats nation 'perfect in every way'

but serious lets hope the scandalous scientist that did the global warming crud don't get wind of this story, i could only imagine...they would probably blame it on motor boats!

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Granite

That's a strange site to have suggested if your intention was to debunk AGW. They seem to agree with the consensus.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by minor007
lol you guys dont even know the true horror that lies within this story. I suggest you read up on Methane Hydrates. The human excrement is going to hit the fan sooner than you think.
edit on 12-7-2013 by minor007 because: (no reason given)

it doesn't matter....energy corporations are not going to change. hundreds of billions in profits globally, are not going to be lost due to people dying from the affects of climate change. all you can do is seek some place to live where there will be the best chance of surviving

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Interesting. The local news reported last evening on cooler than average water temps at the beach along the Jersey shore are due to ocean currents pulling down the warmer water and forcing the cooler water to the surface.

Go figure?

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Elliot

Nonononono! It's all man-made... it has to! So you must pay a carbon tax, slave, while big oil are getting precious tar sands from environmental rape in the Canadian north.

End sarcasm.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I think we will finally see the american people revolt.
the heat will stop coffee growing !

oh no! chocolate to ! ! !
must stock up on chocolate.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
May I ask a question of anyone who might know the answer, please? If CO2 is a greenhouse gas and methane or natural gas is an even more potent natural gas, what happens when fracking begins in earnest around the world and masses of methane begins to escape into the atmosphere?

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Elliot

Bwdda boom.

Big badda booom!!

Except it won't ignite, just accelerate climate change.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by pikestaff

Originally posted by bigyin
Does this mean Global Warming is back .....

According to climate depot, dated 7/8/2013, there has been no arctic ice melt north of 80n this year, and as heat rises, seems like the heat is just not enough to affect Arctic ice at all.
Going back a year, to 4/12/2012, largest amount ever recorded of ice in the Bering sea since records began.
Just why is the northern hemisphere having such cold summers? Alaska has only just come into its 'spring' !

A couple weeks back I went to the wife's family reunion and her uncle and his wife were down from Wasilla, Alaska and they said that it had been in the 90's for weeks up there. She said that she has lived in Wasilla for 30 years and never seen it hit 90 degrees before. So, although they had a drastically wet and deep snow well into spring, they are now having one hell of a hot summer!
edit on 13-7-2013 by Rezlooper because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Elliot
reply to post by minor007

Expalin more please.

Here are a few of my threads on the topic in great detail. There is tons of debate on the issue of methane hydrates and a lot of links to information.

Dangerous Gas may be cause of super-charged weather, mass die-offs, quakes and more

Recent methane leaks, sinkholes may be more evidence Dangerous Gas theory is correct!

Dangerous Gas theory in relation to drug-resistant bacteria and mutating viruses

Dangerous Gas theory in relation to earthquakes and increased seismic activity

Fireballs, comets and asteroids, oh my!

2012: The Hottest Year on Record

I add this one about the home explosion because they are still happening quite often making the news on a daily basis. Just this morning I saw the news of a home explosion in Corpus Christi TX that was heard during the live news broadcast and scared the hell out of the anchors.

Another unexplained explosion levels home in OH

Sinkhole Watch 2013

Some say that heavy snows indicate that we're cooling and not warming, but heavy snows mean much more moisture in the atmosphere and the moisture is caused by the excessive heating, so instead we had many heavy snow events this winter, including 28 snow storms in the US alone that dumped over a foot of snow somewhere. Here is Russia.

Snowpocolypse Russia: Snow tsunami swallows cars, streets and buildings

Two seperate cases of spontaneous combustion; just how rare is this?

Methane outbreak alert!

Over the winter I did a lot of research on the subject and wrote about it here on ATS. During the summer I run a small business as well as work my full time job so I haven't been on much lately, but I've still been paying attention to world events in regards to methane release and all the things I've written about are still occurring every day. All these things continue and have increased in frequency and intensity...sinkholes, quakes, volcanoes, super-charged storms, incredible amounts of rain, massive hailstorms (such as the one in New Mexico that dropped a foot of hail which required snow plows to remove it), super sonic booms, diseases, mass animal die-offs, heatwaves, forest fires, unexplained explosions in homes and factories, algae and pollen and mold increases (due to the high content of moisture in the atmosphere because of the heating), and of course, ocean temperatures!

Some will say that it's ridiculous to lump all of these events into one single factor...but why else are these things increasing at such alarming rates?

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

Most of those are explained by climate change alone, and not because of methane specifically.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
The oceans have been absorbing heat at such a rate that deep ocean waters are now warming, and responsible for half the current rise in sea levels.

Basically this means that all future global warming will result in measurable increases in temperature, and sea levels. Global warming has recently moved to a new level.

What I wonder is if expanding deep ocean waters will affect Earthquakes and volcanic activity.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Giant Iceberg Breaks Off Antarctic Glacier
A massive iceberg, larger than the city of Chicago, broke off of Antarctica's Pine Island Glacier on Monday (July 8)
Story continued Here

Iceberg cluster off Labrador largest in five years
The largest iceberg cluster seen in recent years is drifting south off Labrador near the Strait of Belle Isle through transatlantic shipping routes, says the coast guard.
Story continued Here

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Very little mention here however, despite the effect of gases, of undersea fissures and volcanoes directly affecting the sea temperature and being cause of deep sea warming?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join