It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Omega-3 Supplements Linked To Prostate Cancer

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Ok, I figured this story should go into the 'Current News' section as it is 'Current News' on the Sky Website:

news.sky.com...

Taking health supplements with omega-3 fatty acids can increase the chances of contracting prostate cancer, according to new research.

Omega-3 fatty acids, found naturally in oily fish and lauded for their anti-inflammatory properties, were found to increase the risk of high-grade disease by 71%.

Taking omega-3 was also associated with a 44% greater chance of developing low-grade prostate cancer.

Overall, the fatty acids raised the risk of all prostate cancers by 43%.

A US team of scientists compared blood samples from 834 men diagnosed with prostate cancer and 1,393 participants without the disease.

High blood concentrations of all three omega-3 fatty acids commonly found in supplements EPA, DPA and DHA were linked to the findings.

So, what do you think about this??

Companies bring out these Pills, Vitamins, Omega's and don't even know the consequences of their actions!

I can see a lot of 'Law Suits' being bought against these Companies! I think this discovery is appalling, putting peoples lives at risk.... I have always said that we are like Rats being tested on by TPTB.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Artificial version of suplements and vitamins are created for companies seeking a profit.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

The medical industry and media have been demonizing all things that are good for us recently.

This is all part of the Codex Alimentarius agenda, don't fall for it guys.

Pretty soon they will be telling us that the only thing fit for consumption is a nutritional tablet available only by prescription from your doctor which comes from a big shot pharmaceutical company. They are already outlawing the things that are good for us in the name of our "safety".

ETA:

I forgot to add, they are also trying to tell us that GMO foods are safe.

See a pattern here yet?
edit on 7/11/2013 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I'd rather pig out on fish every other week than to take a supplement every day. Beef brisket is higher in Omega threes than the leaner round, rolled rump, or sirloins also, it appears that the threes are higher in the belly fats of animals. We need to eat all parts of an animal. Great reason to justify eating bacon and corned beef briskits

They need to make a little icon with happy eyes and a tongue that circles as it drools to show something is really delicious

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Holy Mackerel!!!!
I should eat more Mackerel...and trash the omega gummies lol.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Who do you trust these days? It's insane, first eggs are BAD FOR YOU, then they are great, then they are BAD FOR YOU. WTF, who is telling the truth?
Eggs, milk, omega 3 6 9, ginko, I can name like a million things that keep bouncing back and forth from good to bad every few years. Seriously, make up you minds already.
edit on Thu, 11 Jul 2013 07:49:46 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Never really seen the point in taking Omega 3 tabs, why not just add some cold water fish to your weekly diet, you still will get benefits from having it in your diet 2-3 times a week.

Never trusted the Omega-3 tab fad, too many big companies are in with it now for it to be good. If you want to get your fatty-acids then always go for the purest form. If you want it in supplement then maybe look into Flax seed which comes in various forms, I find the powder from Myprotein.com is the purest.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   

I believe there may be some fact to this. There was absolutely no history of prostate cancer whatsoever in my father's family, but after several years of taking that particular supplement he became the first in our family to develop prostate cancer. Cancer is gone (along with his prostate) now, but I wonder if the supplement which was recommended by his doctor had anything to do with the cancer.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Siberbat
Holy Mackerel!!!!
I should eat more Mackerel...and trash the omega gummies lol.

Mackeral can be high in bromides, a person shouldn't eat a lot of Mackerel unless they eat foods containing more chlorides to help to remove the bromides from the cells. Then you have to make sure you drink coffee or tea so the fluorides chase the chlorides off the cells and follow up with some iodine foods. Whew, it's a viscious cycle.
All this just so you pee right.
edit on 11-7-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Case subjects were 834 men diagnosed with prostate cancer(They already had cancer folks...go read the study) people should be thinking about suing the journalists/media for hyping this up...ahh yeah duh if you already HAVE prostate cancer which the sensationalist article leaves out then yeah almost anything could increase further development of it cause the cancer would feed off of it, the mechanism it said were not understood yet, but in a sense this sounds like what I already knew about cancer, that all kinds of things such as sugar, fats etc can feed it's growth if you already have cancer cells replicating in your body. IN other words if you don't already have cancer, eating fish or fish oil will likely not give it to you.

Plasma Phospholipid Fatty Acids and Prostate Cancer Risk in the SELECT Trial

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Agree with you , specialy when they said

Omega-3 fatty acids, found naturally in oily fish and lauded for their anti-inflammatory properties, were found to increase the risk of high-grade disease by 71%. Taking omega-3 was also associated with a 44% greater chance of developing low-grade prostate cancer. Overall, the fatty acids raised the risk of all prostate cancers by 43%.

I mean come on , the natural thing has a percentage of 72% , while those pills made by pharma has only 44% , it's like they are trying to tell us that manufacturers are better than nature , actually they just did

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

You could have a point.

You know what though.... I've never paid any attention to these pills and whatnot. I just eat what I have done for the past 30 years! Only thing i changed was eating White Bread, I now eat Brown Bread! I have cut out Cake (don't have much of it now), I have Apple Pies every now and then (filled with Apple so I don't see why they should be so bad anyway). I eat Pasta, Rice and the odd Potato. I eat the odd Pepper. I have Onion, Garlic and sometimes Broccoli but overall I don't eat that much Veg! I eat tinned Tomatoes (loads of them with my pasta or chicken). I have Yogurts for dessert (low fat or no fat). And I eat Cheese. I still eat Chocolate, I still have the odd bag of Jelly Babies. I drink Cider, Wine and the odd bottle of Caribbean Rum. I don't eat McDonalds but I do have an occasional Burger King.

I was checked up last year.... nothing wrong with me..... sugar levels fine, cholesterol levels great..... no risk of anything...... my waist size has gone up a couple inches but at 36", its fine. I also had check up at sex-clinic, nothing wrong there either.....

edit on 11-7-2013 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I will say this though, eating fish or omega 3 pills, after Fukushima has occurred and radiation levels allowed have been altered to higher allowable standard levels to prevent public non-consumption, It might seem anything caught out in the pacific maybe contaminated and therefore a threat to humans. I think I read that they still can't figure out how to reach and stop the leaking into the pacific, that has been leaking for a long time now. So it maybe anybody's guess what could be in what you eat from that region of the world, including supplements. If pollution maybe the problem one might just go with flax seed possibly.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I've been taking pomegranate extract which is an omega 5
if you guys feel like switching that may be an alternative.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   

I posted another thread about fish oil being bad for you
www.abovetopsecret.com...
I do not take it but I really do not take anything and just try to eat right...must work I am still alive?

There are only two (2) essential fatty acids, LA (parent omega-6) and ALA (parent omega-3). They MUST come from food. To work properly, they MUST be NOT heated, chemically unprocessed, organically raised and processed to guarantee full physiologic functionality. Fast foods use adulterated, non-functional EFAs that can no longer be termed a fully functional parent essential oils. All other EFAs excluding ALA and LA are correctly termed EFA “derivatives.” This includes the most common derivatives such as AA, DHA, EPA, etc. What is not understood by most physicians is that derivatives are made in the body, from the parent EFAs,

brianpeskin.com...

QUOTE:
Fish oil (and krill oil) do not work in clinical practice
(despite most everyone saying they do)
Sometimes, ingrained beliefs, even those without scientific foundation, are
hard to change. As has occurred with many other nutritional supplements
once in the limelight, there is little, if any, scientific validity to fish oil
and krill oil’s miraculous claims. It is simply another case of “finance
masquerading as science”— in this case, developing new markets for fish
— and of medicine’s long history of mistakes and wrong recommendations.
Making money is fine when you truly help people, but not when you harm
them, even unknowingly. Results consisting of mere “associations,” and
“studies“ conducted without valid experiments in which only one variable
is changed at a time are meaningless. That’s why the recommendations
from most “studies” are later reversed and withdrawn, which leaves the
lay public confused. END QUOTE:

edit on 11-7-2013 by 727Sky because: ......

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
The MODS always do this with my Threads when they are gaining attention.

They pick them up and move them to a Forum which hardly has any people posting replies!

I posted it in the 'Current News' section as it was 'Currently News'.

Now it looks like it was a waste of my time posting the Info in the first place.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   

MODs move threads around all the time. I would not worry about it. I will continue eating my linseeds as a source of Omega. They are great you can throw some in most foods you make. Nature is best..

sf)

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
This was terrible news, but I need to find out more about this study and how it was conducted.

And the reason people take supplements is because not everyone likes fish, for one. Second, people who take "high dose" omega supplementation would still have a hard time getting enough of a daily intake without eating oily fish 4-5 times a day.

I take omegas not only for the supposed benefits for the heart and brain, but I have also found (as some research has indicated) that higher dose omega supplementation can work as a mood stabilizer.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by bubbabuddha
Case subjects were 834 men diagnosed with prostate cancer(They already had cancer folks...go read the study) people should be thinking about suing the journalists/media for hyping this up...ahh yeah duh if you already HAVE prostate cancer which the sensationalist article leaves out then yeah almost anything could increase further development of it cause the cancer would feed off of it, the mechanism it said were not understood yet, but in a sense this sounds like what I already knew about cancer, that all kinds of things such as sugar, fats etc can feed it's growth if you already have cancer cells replicating in your body. IN other words if you don't already have cancer, eating fish or fish oil will likely not give it to you.

Plasma Phospholipid Fatty Acids and Prostate Cancer Risk in the SELECT Trial

I could be reading this wrong, but isn't this saying that they used a control of 1393 other people?

Case subjects were 834 men diagnosed with prostate cancer, of which 156 had high-grade cancer. The subcohort consisted of 1393 men selected randomly at baseline and from within strata frequency matched to case subjects on age and race.

Also, I found this interesting:

Results Compared with men in the lowest quartiles of LCω-3PUFA, men in the highest quartile had increased risks for low-grade (HR = 1.44, 95% CI = 1.08 to 1.93), high-grade (HR = 1.71, 95% CI = 1.00 to 2.94), and total prostate cancer (HR = 1.43, 95% CI = 1.09 to 1.88). Associations were similar for individual long-chain ω-3 fatty acids. Higher linoleic acid (ω-6) was associated with reduced risks of low-grade (HR = 0.75, 95% CI = 0.56 to 0.99) and total prostate cancer (HR = 0.77, 95% CI = 0.59 to 1.01); however, there was no dose response.

Is this saying that linoleic acid had the opposite effect? (Or at least, the opposite correlation)

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Hemp seeds and omega 3 eggs, FTW!!

That's all, folks.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join