It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shower from a box of wine bag

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I have been filling up 5 liter clear plastic wine bags with water, leaving them in the sun all day, and am able to get two five minute warm showers from one bag. They take about five minutes to fill, and have been durable enough for at least a hundred refills with no leaks or seal break down.

I also like to fill one with cold water for a pillow on a hot night. I just thought I would share this if anyone had not considered using them this way. It is also a good excuse to bring a box of wine camping! Ha ha

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 05:17 AM
link   
or you can go to a shop and buy one with all the parts and shower head on it for a few bucks versus $ 25 bucks in my country for a box of wine
did you know you can make a telephone with 2 used cups and some string

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   
My Ole Lady and her friends buy box wine quite often and I have saved the bags before. They make a light weight and easy to pack water container.

I think that these boxed wines are popular enough that no one should have a problem collecting a few, just ask the ladies, they seem to like it.
edit on 10-7-2013 by MichiganSwampBuck because: typo

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Ideal flotation devices also.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a box of goon as we call it in Australia.

Goon Bag, Goony. LOL

I believe you can remove the caps on them and fill them.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by amraks
a box of goon as we call it in Australia.

Goon Bag, Goony. LOL

I believe you can remove the caps on them and fill them.

^ YOU BELIEVE? Ahhahahahahahaha Aaaahhahah Nice try

OP, it takes you 5 minutes to fill a 5 litre goon bag? are you - giggle - are you filling them through the nozzle while you're holding it open?

This thread .. makes up for the "Lets quote the bible" one I just read !!

PS, you can't drink water out of an old goon bag. The idea that it had wine in it, corrupts the thoughts and you end up wanting to puke from that tepid, flavourless goon you just gulped down.

Or at least, lol, I believe so

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlchemistSwami
I have been filling up 5 liter clear plastic wine bags with water, leaving them in the sun all day, and am able to get two five minute warm showers from one bag. They take about five minutes to fill, and have been durable enough for at least a hundred refills with no leaks or seal break down.

I also like to fill one with cold water for a pillow on a hot night. I just thought I would share this if anyone had not considered using them this way. It is also a good excuse to bring a box of wine camping! Ha ha

No it may not have all the bells and whistles of a store bought outdoor shower but its a great way to recycle and reuse while getting a good ol wine buzz! Awesome!

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Looking up U.S. Army and Marine Corps issue 5 quart collapsible canteens I find that this is a good and economical idea, especially if you are only going to use it for bathing, pillow or flotation device.

S&F and have a great time with a box of wine!

Just remember, if you down it all at once, we know what road that goes down...

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by AlchemistSwami

I've used the solar shower bags made for camping, but the wine bag sounds to be a great alternative. Perhaps spraying one side with black paint could make for more efficient heating? When I needed to make some urgent repairs to the bathroom in our old farmhouse (which is five miles past the middle of nowhere) I used the commercial version (less than $10. USD) for showers up through early December! I can attest that these shower bags work marvelously, even in below freezing temps (albeit if you have a warm house to go back into). Made for the most refreshing showers I can remember.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
It sounds like some posters are making fun, and I have no idea why. I think it's a great idea if you or someone you know is always buying that type of wine anyways. I think it would be foolish to buy one of the shower things one poster mentioned if you already have these bags to begin with. I love trying to think of ways to use "trash" too. I think your idea is a good one.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ellie Sagan
It sounds like some posters are making fun, and I have no idea why. I think it's a great idea if you or someone you know is always buying that type of wine anyways. I think it would be foolish to buy one of the shower things one poster mentioned if you already have these bags to begin with. I love trying to think of ways to use "trash" too. I think your idea is a good one.

I won't spend a dime more than I don't have to (some call me "tight-fisted" I like to think of it a being responsible). Had I realized this great use for a left over wine bag, I would've certainly enjoyed the contents of one of these "fine wines" then used the bag for a shower. But, I rarely drink. The shower device was affordable (less than the cost of a box of wine, but the wine bag will serve two purposes I suppose), and I still have it in excellent working condition 3 years on. Like you, I enjoy re-purposing left over or discarded items, but if I make a purchase (on practically anything), it's going to be for the long term.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by FatherStacks

I see your point. I'm just a tightwad and don't spend money on something if I can find something comparable for free. Like I said, if you drink the wine anyways, you would just be throwing the bags out.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I make wine from wine kits and always save the plastic bags. These are heavy duty bags and very durable. I fill them partly up with water and put them in the freezer. When we go to the beach I toss one or two in the cooler. Works great.
I also use them for emergency water during hurricane season. Never thought about using one for a shower though.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

A few questions for you (sorry, don't have any wine bags on hand to examine at the moment). Is the spigot from one of these bags easy to remove? Any need to reseal once putting it back in or is it good to go? Once you've filled it and the water is warm, are you holding it for the shower or are you going "hands-free" as in have you devised a way to hang it or are you setting it up high?
edit on 10-7-2013 by FatherStacks because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by FatherStacks

A few questions for you (sorry, don't have any wine bags on hand to examine at the moment). Is the spigot from one of these bags easy to remove? Any need to reseal once putting it back in or is it good to go? Once you've filled it and the water is warm, are you holding it for the shower or are you going "hands-free" as in have you devised a way to hang it or are you setting it up high?
edit on 10-7-2013 by FatherStacks because: (no reason given)

I'm happy to answer your questions.

I don't take the caps off, I just take the time to fill them on the sink by quickly fastening them with a rubber band, and then keeping an eye on it as it fills.

I haven't ever needed to remove the sealed spout, nor would I want to. I used some rope to weave with knots, a sort of basket to hold the 5 liter bag in and I hang it from above. I usually try to find a tree with a good strong branch and then if I'll be at camp for a few days, I'll move some rocks to stand on into the shower area, and move them back when I leave.

I don't know what is up with some of the strange people that replied to this thread, so I ignored them, but you were kind enough in your request so there you go. Cheers

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Yeah man- I've never tried this but with amount of goon sacks passing through our front door weekly I'm sure we'd be able to shower the whole street hahahah!

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Next step collect rain water then put that into the bags, then you can save money! I like this post of yours, its not so crazy, and it has its uses.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tylerdurden1
Next step collect rain water then put that into the bags, then you can save money! I like this post of yours, its not so crazy, and it has its uses.

Well thanks. I have a flowing river beside my camp, but certainly rain water would work for people with out one, or if the river dried up. The river comes from the Biggest Lake in our State, and supplies drinking water to our Biggest City, so if it does dry up, there are bigger problems than a nice shower LOL

top topics

join