It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bizarre creature washed ashore in South Africa

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
These red colobus seem very similar as well.
With close ups of the hands it would be easier.

Here is a link with a list of monkey species Types of Monkeys
Roloway Monkey

It looks a lot like Gibbons but those are from SE Asia if I am not mistaken and I don't see how that would work out.

Washed up on the shore

Could have come from anywhere

Cody

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
interesting story,,, waiting with the rest for the autopsy results and follow up

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

More pics from the news site Facebook page:

Now that we can see the body - it's got a tail, it's twisted and elongated - it's an Ape. A dead, sun baked, thrown in the ocean Ape.

ETA: The news site hasn't updated yet on "official" word.
edit on 10-7-2013 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Was wondering whem Osama Bin Laden would wash up.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

Thanks for that

Ape it is then

Cody

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Hahaha, I just saw one of these on television the other night.

It is definitely the grandmother squid from squidbillies.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

It is a dryed out dessicated monkey. You are right.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Alien hybrid experiment gone bad?

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I think If I was put in a room with the top picks: Seal, Sloth, and the various monkey breeds given as possibilities in this thread along with this mystery carcass. I would come to one of two conclusions.

1. a correct identification of the carcass in question (remember I'm leaning toward sloth, not water puppy anymore)

OR

2. a lot of bites and scratches from trying to examine the live critters teeth, hands, etc. and a general felling of nausea from the dead thing AND no clue as to what it is.

All I need is financial and logisical support (someone to foot the bill and get the room and animals together) a pair of gloves and bottle of bourbon to make this happen.
I feel it's worth a shot and I've got next Wednesday open.
Anyone game?

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

source

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Where is the link to the story? Why is it the only picture i can find is a link to this story on ATS?

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

I did an image search to recover the pictures above showing the ape/monkey. Best I could find is a Facebook page for a South African news channel: www.facebook.com...

Edit: Found this when visited the page again (new born baby baboon is claimed).

A mysterious "alien-like" creature found outsideNature's Valley this week has been revealed as a newborn infant baboon. The discovery of the animal's carcass, by 17-year-old Curt-Leigh Dixon, son of local SANParks ranger Llewelly Dixon, was made at Covie between Nature's Valley and the Tsitsikamma toll plaza on Monday. Images of the creature - which has a thin, exaggerated torso and long limbs - have baffledthose who have seen it, some believing it to be a dead dog and others even suggesting it is from another planet. But Dr Magdalena Braum, of The Crags Vet Clinic who performed the autopsy, has now confirmed that it is in fact a newborn female baboon. "It was most likely killed by the bite through her scull soon after birth, possibly infanticide which is very common in some primate specieswhen a new male takes over the troop," she said. "The body is misshapen and mummified because it had been carried by the mother afterdeath. We have seen it quite often in baboon research troops, when females carry the deceased infants sometimes for as long as three to four weeks on their tail section before finally discarding them. "That explains unusually long and narrow mid-body segment." Llewelly Dixon said despite the findings of the autopsy, people he ran into still did not believe the carcass was that of a baboon. "The teeth don't seem like a baboon's teeth, and while the head was slack the legs were stillvery rigid. People I have told still don't believe it is a baboon.

The vet mentioned and the clinic are real (I'm bored today): www.cragsvetclinic.co.za...

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Anyone else besides me wondering WHY this thing appears to have no rib cage?

Perhaps a defector from the nearby primate sanctuary...

Monkeyland – the world’s first free-roaming multi-species primate sanctuary (at The Crags, near Plettenberg Bay) - offers tours (we call them monkey safaris) during which you’ll see species of monkeys, lemurs, gibbons, and other primates in their forest home. And you’ll experience our 128-metre suspended canopy walk.

Monkeyland is the world's first and currently only multi-species free-roaming primate sanctuary.

Specie List And Info View Gallery

RED-BACKED BEARED SAKIS / Latin name: Chiropotes chiropotes
BLACK AND WHITE RUFFED LEMURS / Latin name: Varecia variegata variegata
RINGTAIL LEMUR / Latin name: Lemur catta
BLACK LEMUR / Latin name: Eulemur macaco
The BLACK HOWLER MONKEY (Alouatta caraya)
BOLIVIAN SQUIRREL MONKEYS / Latin name: Saimiri Boliviensis
COMMON SQUIRREL MONKEYS / Latin name: Saimiri sciureus
CHACMA BABOON / Latin name: Papio ursinus ursinus
HANUMAN LANGUR / Latin name: Semnopithecus entellus
SPECTACLED LANGUR / Latin name: Trachypithecus obscurus
WHITE-HANDED or LAR GIBBON / Latin name: Hylobates lar
HOODED, TUFTED OR BROWN CAPUCHIN / Latin name: Cebus Apella

www.monkeyland.co.za...
www.monkeyland.co.za...

edit on 10-7-2013 by Murgatroid because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Holy crap! It's The Enigma of Amigara Fault! It's slowly coming this way!!

Really though, I'm gonna go with everyone else's guess of either a monkey or hoax. It's amazing to see it so thin in the middle and dried out, but without major bones like the ribcage visible. Definitely strange.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
That's definitely my Mother in law

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep
reply to post by facelift

Unfortunately no links yet mate, but as soon as it comes up in the paper on their site, I will link.

vvv

Any other pictures? I'd like to see an uncropped version showing 100% of the body.

Interesting stuff, definitely has similarities to a primate; but of course it also has similarities to Jesus Christ too. One of those things ya know' -- we won't know till that autopsy report is confiscated by the authorities and disclosed 50 years later!

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jason88

More pics from the news site Facebook page:

Now that we can see the body - it's got a tail, it's twisted and elongated - it's an Ape. A dead, sun baked, thrown in the ocean Ape.

ETA: The news site hasn't updated yet on "official" word.

Oh daaaaamn. Looks like someone tried to see how far they could stretch a monkey. If this was done naturally, it would have had to have been caught on something, and then slowly over time pulled apart... Even then, wouldn't it have decomposed and simply torn in half? It's almost dried that way.

the color, the feet... Just very strange stuff indeed.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by grubblesnert

Seriously here's what I see:

-The skull appears fractured/crushed (note broken upper teeth) this may have distorted and shrunken the porportions of the upper part of the skull.
-The body looks possibly dehydrated from being out in the sun after the "wash up"
-The torso appears twisted (reminds me of old fashion twist of chewing tobacco). This would also distort the natural shape, narrowing and elongating) of whatever this was before death.
- The arms look pretty darn long with paws like a sloth.
-The teeth are "bovine like" grinders, meaning it was a plant eater and no incisors detected. Monkeys have incisors

I'm going to say it's a Sloth.

Right, however it does not have the common teeth of a sloth. A simple google image search of "sloth teeth" shows that this isn't your regular sloth grill.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Well it looks like a dead monkey that had its body cut and shortened maybe some type of Lemur but I can't be sure. It looks like its skin was modified with some synthetic material. The hands of this creature look so strange I can't make them out to be related to anything in the animal kingdom, they look like rubber but if it was rubber the sun would be reflecting off it a little unless there was a cloud behind the sun. Just saying what it could be got any more pictures?
edit on 3/3/2013 by Vrillion because: No Reason

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join