It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Zimmerman Trial- Will you accept the Jury's Verdict?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
It seems almost everyone has a strong opinion on this trial. Literally, the jury's still out on this one, it could go either way.

My question to fellow ATSers is this: Will you accept the Jury's verdict even if it disagrees with your opinion? I'm curious to if people will say something now before the verdict is in and then change their minds if the verdict doesn't agree with their own "verdict" on this case.

Based on the evidence you have heard, if watching the trial, has it (the trial itself) changed your opinion on the guilt or innocence of George Zimmerman?

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

www.abovetopsecret.com... for anyone wanting a thread following the trial....and some entertaining debates you can check out this thread.

yes i will accept the jury verdic as that is how it works in this country you are innocent until you are proven guilty in a court of law by your peers,if the jury says not guilty based on the evidence then not guilty if they by some fluke say guilty then hey thats how it works

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

I'll accept the verdict either way. I certainly accept and sometimes even feel pretty good about the ones I like even when others absolutely do not feel it came out right. I'd be the ultimate hypocrite to sit now and say it's not fair or look for some whine with my cheese over how they decide.

The only outcome I will be upset about is the lack of outcome. A hung jury will annoy me to no end, I do say in advance. The public really needs some resolution I think.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavil

My question to fellow ATSers is this: Will you accept the Jury's verdict even if it disagrees with your opinion?

Knowing what the norm is for the American public in terms of ability to rationally and objectively make *ANY* kind of decision without letting emotion and prejudice cloud the mind... yeah... I see no reason whatsoever to change my mind about the subject based on what those essentially 12 random people decide.

I have no idea how it will go. Its a roll of the dice, really, depending on which 12 people were chosen and their individual and collective biases and prejudices.

edit on 7/9/2013 by CaticusMaximus because: words

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by CaticusMaximus

They aren't totally random, both the prosecutors and the defense attorney's have accepted them and had a hand in jury selection. Also, I would say they are going to have the most information on figuring out what happened that night. You make it sound as if it's a totally random selection of people with no clue to the facts of the case.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   

edit on 9-7-2013 by freedom12 because: (no reason given)

You have no choice but, to accept it.

Welcome to what used to be America!!

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedom12
deleted

I hadn't caught that before, is that typical for Florida?

I guess it is:

Under Florida law, six-person juries hear all criminal cases except capital offenses. The charges against Zimmerman do not make it a capital case.

edit on 9-7-2013 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

Yes the jury is SIX women , not 12.

Above poster is misinformed.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by freedom12

In Florida, 12 jurors are required only for criminal trials involving capital cases, when the death penalty is being considered.

Read more: www1.whdh.com...

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Well since you asked, I will not accept the jury's verdict if it doesn't come out the way I see it. But then again my decision is not in the legal loop.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I understand the justice system and obviously will accept it either way. I have seen no reason to believe this is a farce.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I have watched every single minute of this trial. I have refrained from commenting on any of these Zimmerman threads, but I can't take it anymore.

I have even seen a lot of evidence that isn't allowed to be presented in court. Text messages, tweets, facebook status's.. including evidence that Trayvon bragged about getting in a fight 12 days prior and breaking the guys nose, coupled with the bus driver assault, coupled with the marijuana/promethazine/DXM use and dealing, coupled with the suspension....well.. need I say more? There's nothing the prosecution has presented convinces me Zimmerman acted out of ill will.

All I can say..

Whether Zimmerman is guilty or innocent, or gets convicted of murder, manslaughter or let off, either way.. It doesn't matter which way it goes, it's bad news for Zimmerman. I feel like a piece of crap sayin this.. but I feel bad for the guy.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
If all evidence were allowed to include the past of both parties I would feel better about the verdict regardless. The "what is admissible in court" rulings may be a good thing or bad...just depends on the judge and what the jurors are allowed to see.

That has no bearing on this case "thing" has bothered me in other cases. It does not matter the defendant raped 3 other women he is on trial for this rape etc etc....poor example but you get my point no doubt.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
This was one story or case I never followed until the triall

I didn't read any of the threads or watch it on the news. So I'm watching the trial with no pre-conceived bias.
At this point I can't honestly tell what happened. Who screamed? Who was on top of who?
To me it sounds like a young boy screaming. If I was on the jury I don't know which way I would go. . I don't think the prosecution or the defence showed any real evidence, but its only the state that has the burden of proof. I don't think he will be found guilty. There's too much doubt, but lets see what the closing arguments present.

I do however think Zimmerman pursued him and shouldn't have. Had he not done that trayvon Martin would be alive. He fired the gun. The witnesses are no good because it was dark and raining. If Zimmerman was on the bottom his clothes should have been grass stained and wet. He really has come across as a wannabe cop.

ETA
As for the question do I care about the verdict? Not really. I guess I want him found guilty of something. He can't get away with what he did. I'm not on his side, put it that way. I don't like the guy, something creepy about him.
edit on 9-7-2013 by violet because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-7-2013 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
When I was younger a group of guys attacked me and a friend in an attempt to rob us. They yelled at the top of their lungs "This is what happens to drug dealers here" though neither my friend or I sold drugs. In fact it was their way of keeping the neighbors from getting involved or at the least if they called the police it would be perceived that they were merely defending their neighbors from us. I do not know if the voice is Zimmerman or martins however from past experiences I can assure you the one screaming for help is not always the victim.

I think Zimmerman is innocent of murder and was defending himself.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Everyone has to accept it. What's the alternative? Take to the streets and riot and loot?
That's criminal and that activity itself should be prosecuted.

Yes I'll accept it.

Before the trial I was thinking this is 'negligent manslaughter' .
Now ... having watched almost gavel to gavel ... I say 'not guilty'.
The prosecution has failed to prove it's case. SEVERELY FAILED.

Whatever the jury says ... I accept. No choice.
And let me say .. I AM VERY GLAD I'M NOT ON THE JURY.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Everyone has to accept it. What's the alternative? Take to the streets and riot and loot?
That's criminal and that activity itself should be prosecuted.

I think that regardless of how the verdict turns out, there will still be violence of some sort. Either celebratory like after a sports team wins the championship. I think that this type of behaviour will be localized.

Or retaliatory where people disregard the courts and jury’s findings and act out. This type of behaviour may spread across the nation like the Rodney King case.

In regards to both, I hope niether happen though, but am not optimistic.

Whatever the jury says ... I accept. No choice.
And let me say .. I AM VERY GLAD I'M NOT ON THE JURY.

I would agree. Pretty much anyone who is directly associated with this trial will be looking over their shoulder for the foreseeable future. I feel for them all.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
It is not about whether or not people accept a verdict decided by a jury. It is not even about whether the system of Justice we use in this country is fair or even rational. We all understand that the system is not perfect and have seen some pretty high profile cases ( cough cough OJ cough ) that ended in verdicts that simply defy logic. What is "fair" about it, the only real guarantee we get is that it is supposed to be fairly applied... not that it will always end in fair or perfect results.

The question we are really tip toeing around here is "Are there going to be race riots if Zimmerman is acquitted"? Am I right?

Answering that is difficult. If there are then it is my opinion that the people who start such riots are probably just as racist and vile as they claim the system to be. Those who follow along and fan the flames are nothing more than opportunists who would be willing to split a nation, endanger their loved ones, and destroy their communities - all for a chance to act out and maybe loot a few things in the process.

In my opinion this is all made so much more possible ( and tragic ) because many young people these days seem to have lost touch with reality because media has created this faux reality ( reality TV, gaming, music, movies and television shows ) that put dramatic effect before all else and tends to romanticize extreme acts while simultaneously downplaying the inevitable consequences involved in such acts.

The only people qualified to make this decision are the six people already empaneled to make it. The onus is upon them and our system, for better or for worse, has made it so. The jury system, for all of its flaws, is still IMO preferable to panels, commissions, tribunals, etc.

Popular opinion has no place in such things. Neither do emotion, uninformed opinion, or semantic issues.

The fact that Zimmerman is not black and Martin was should be totally removed from the equation. Sadly it not only remains an issue... for many it is the only issue they care about.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
That's the way it works. If the prosecution has the proper evidence to prove guilt, and the jury finds him guilty, fine. If they don't have the proper evidence to demonstrate guilt, and the jury finds him not guilty, fine.

That is why serving on a jury is one of the most important services you can offer as an American. One that far too few take seriously.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I hear what you are saying. My reason for this thread was that, on both sides of this issue, people have put themselves out on a limb, so to speak with the guilt or innocence of the parties involved. The use of hyperbole is almost in every other post you see about this trial. I'm trying to get get people on the record saying they will accept the verdict, so if doesn't go the way they want, they can't complain. I think (hope?) the jury will reach the right verdict based on all the info they will have.

Obviously, riots have been started on far less than this case and I would expect some violence, regardless of the actual result. People have been stoking the hate fires and those individuals should be held to account for doing that.

It's a sad event and hopefully things don't get even sadder with violence because of whatever verdict is given.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join