It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Education Reform AZP

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Is our educational system designed to fully encourage learning and scientific pursuit to the greatest degree possible?

It seems that the current systems in place are more focused on rote memorization than teaching anyone how to learn and explore the world around us. At least in the USA, our education system very, very rarely introduces the scientific method before middle school.

As the scientific method allows us to objectively explore the universe around us with the least amount of subjectivity possible, what reasons do we have for not using this as a core principle of education and learning? Is it not what science itself has determined is the best way to learn?

In this reform, we would look at an educational system that focuses on teaching children how to learn as a primary objective, instead of what to learn. The advantage that this has is that it enables our society to continuously grow our understanding, rather than spend our important formative years learning topics that are frequently outdated by the time we even graduate high school.

In the younger education years, roughly grades 1-5, we would focus on allowing our children to explore the world around them at will, using the very simple basis of the scientific method. When a child wants to explore something further, it is to be encouraged through experimentation and even "peer review" through the class room itself. Not only does this allow for more individualized learning courses, but it appeals to the wonderment and explorative nature that exists in those years. Students are able to work at their own pace, but obviously, some types of guidelines and goals would have to be set. By doing this, however, and allowing the child's creativity to reach those goals, we start to imbue a sense of personal accomplishment and responsibility at a much younger age. We also create a solid foundation for ALL further education and life experiences to take place.

Grades 6-10 (roughly, again), we would begin to introduce the more advanced aspects of what we know to be true. We could also start to focus on basic life skills, to help enable individuals to be self-sufficient and independent. These life skills could include anything from gardening and cooking, to finances and safe sex. As it stands, we do not really prepare our children for the "real world" until they actually reach it after college.

In grades 10-12, we would start to introduce students to a large variety of different topics and specialties. Ones which they may already have a leaning towards due to how the new system is set up. The students are given the responsibility and freedom to choose and design their own curriculum, and the school "year" would switch to year-round. By starting to introduce true responsibility and independence at this young age, we are not only showing that we have faith in our children, but we are directly putting their future in their hands.

For college, it would remain relatively unchanged, as I feel it would automatically be able to adapt to the new system. However, vocational and trade schools would be provided as a completely respectable area of study, since they are so incredibly critical to our daily operation as a society. Currently, colleges and trade schools tend to be separate, when it might be more fruitful to view them both as viable and important ways to explore different specialties.

These types of changes would not only affect the way we learn, but it would also affect the way our children approach everything for the rest of their lives. Over time, the results of creating a foundation of not only questioning, but active exploration and the toolset to effectively do it, would create a stronger and smarter society completely across the board. This would result in an increase in everything from work quality to creativity to innovation.

What do you think you can do to encourage learning among our children? How do you think we could ALL learn more effectively about and with each other?

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Dude, what's with the AZP in all of your thread titles? Is that really necessary, or are you just using it to try and find posts that belong to you when you search ATS?

Either way, it's really annoying to see 6 different posts in different forums within minutes of each other.

Just sayin'

~Namaste

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonOfTheLawOfOne
Dude, what's with the AZP in all of your thread titles? Is that really necessary, or are you just using it to try and find posts that belong to you when you search ATS?

Either way, it's really annoying to see 6 different posts in different forums within minutes of each other.

Just sayin'

~Namaste

Dont worry, Im done

They are all part of the same idea, but its spread out over quite a few different topics. So, to make it easier on myself and anyone interested, I put an easily identifiable mark on each thread.

Its all part of a series, which starts with the intro post.

Sorry to annoy. But I am glad to see it got your attention

edit on 9-7-2013 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Why would they ever reform the education system? They're getting exactly what they want--mindless consumer-drones incapable of questioning authority or even surviving on their own. That's a despot's wet dream. And that's why it will never, ever, ever be changed.

And besides, they're not even offering ("offering", LOL) you an education. Never were. All they're doing is brainwashing you into being a "productive citizen". They don't give a crap how smart you are. Just do the paperwork and shut your mouths.

But to answer your question, the only way to reform the education system is to burn it to the ground and replace it with nothing. If you want to encourage a child to learn, let him learn--whatever he wants to learn. I think "schooling" does far more to alienate children from learning than anything else. Kids are naturally inquisitive. Let them be, even if mathematics isn't their bag.
edit on 7/9/13 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by NthOther
Why would they ever reform the education system? They're getting exactly what they want--mindless consumer-drones incapable of questioning authority or even surviving on their own. That's a despot's wet dream. And that's why it will never, ever, ever be changed.

And besides, they're not even offering ("offering", LOL) you an education. Never were. All they're doing is brainwashing you into being a "productive citizen". They don't give a crap how smart you are. Just do the paperwork and shut your mouths.

Exactly correct, and I do not disagree. However, is that actually the most profitable way for the education system to be run?

It is according to the idea of greed over need, but as I stated in other threads, does greed over need truly satisfy both to the greatest degree possible?

That is the whole point is that I do not feel it does.

While the current system does indeed create good "worker drones," is it possible that by encouraging better education even the greediest amongst us would profit even more?

That is the whole idea I am presenting.

But to answer your question, the only way to reform the education system is to burn it to the ground and replace it with nothing. If you want to encourage a child to learn, let him learn--whatever he wants to learn. I think "schooling" does far more to alienate children from learning than anything else. Kids are naturally inquisitive.

Destroying any current problematic system without replacing it is exactly what I am attempting to avoid, since I do not feel it is the best course of action. However, what you are suggesting is exactly in line with what I am suggesting. Let our children explore for themselves, and *only* teach them the "how" in the early years, not the "why."

Why isnt our educational system based on what kids are naturally?

Let them be, even if mathematics isn't their bag.

Not so sure where this is coming from... I think that math is only one aspect, and I didnt even bring it up in my post. In fact, I think that more focus and validity should be given to vocational and trade schools as well as traditional college.

The scientific method isnt just about math. In fact, you can do it without involving math at all.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 03:07 AM
link   

top topics

join