It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Roulette! Time for a New App?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Watching the horror of those terrified passengers escaping down the shoots of that terrible plain crash in San Francisco and then hearing once again that it was possibly caused by Pilot Error really infuriated me.

We all know that many professions protect themselves and their profession by quietly turning a blind eye to the inadequacies of their colleagues - to the detriment of those for whom they are providing a service.

Why can't we have some kind of App that can be accessed at the airport for passengers to check the credentials of the pilot of the plane they are about to board?

Yes I know we take this risk each time we board any kind of transport but bearing in mind the sheer numbers of people and the fact that whole families can be wiped out in one fell swoop - not to mention those on the ground ie residential areas been involved as in the train derailment in Canada of late. Surely in these days of high technology this could provide more transparency.

Should we have access to this information?

Do we blindly trust the airlines who, from last I heard are cutting corners as always - are they doing it at the expense of Training?

Are we playing Russian Roulette every time we fly?

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by quedup

Flying is one of the safest ways to travel.
Unless you want an app that details your own history, why call for one that details someone else's?

You will never be perfectly safe. Accidents happen.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by randomtangentsrme

Because I'm not taking the lives of hundreds in my hands.

As to Why? For all the reasons above!

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   
If the pilot has a history of crashing planes I think he would have been sacked already.

I think its safe to assume when you get on the plane the pilot has never crashed one before.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by quedup

Sure they had hundreds of lives in their hands. How many did they lose?

What do you do for a living?
Do you commute?
Can I have your drivers license number, and your license plate number? I do not know if I want to be on the road with you. You may have had an accident in the past.

See how absurd what you are asking is?

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I don't think it's absurd at all - Would you allow a GP to treat you if you didn't know he was qualified to do the job or if his qualifications were assessed by a private corporation who cut back on training because of costs?

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by quedup

How do you know your GP is qualified?

Living in fear is not living.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
This guy was certified lol

en.wikipedia.org...

one of the most prolific serial killers in recorded history

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomtangentsrme
reply to post by quedup

The discussion isn't about living in Fear - consider ignore button pressed!

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by roughycannon

en.wikipedia.org...

Off Topic - ignore button pressed (children)

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by quedup

en.wikipedia.org...

How is it off topic?

You asked whether we would see a GP if we didn't know he was qualified, this GP was and ended up being a serial killer...

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by quedup

If you are a US citizen and you still utilize airplanes, you are supporting the tyranny that we find ourselves under.

The people I share my nation with may object to being groped, but not enough to actually do something about it.

If you are a non citizen, like most of the folks on the flight in question, I have no comment.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by quedup

Commercial pilots have to be qualified for the airports they operate out of if memory serves me correctly. You can only do simulation so many times. Eventually you have to actually do the real deal. Crews regularly rotate to different routes, so they are always training. Quite often by doing.

Flying empty airliners just to qualify a crew on a particular plane into a particular airport would be a huge sum of money.

But that gives me an idea. Many Airline companies also have cargo subsidiaries. These subsidiaries often fly the same types of aircraft that carry people as well. Using cargo runs would increase the proficiency of the crew prior to transporting passengers.

If they do not have a cargo subsidiary, then they contract a crew to someone who does until they meet the required criteria.

But you’ll still have accidents. Plus the execs of airline companies all breathe a little easier as they pay out huge sums of money to insurance companies.

edit on 10-7-2013 by TDawgRex because: Just a ETA

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...

Originally posted by randomtangentsrme
reply to post by quedup

The discussion isn't about living in Fear - consider ignore button pressed!

Why are you even here? To only talk to people in agreement with you?

Seriously....who does this? Twice in their own thread?

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I love to fly, just not on airlines. They feel like cattle cars to me. I'll only take a a commercial flight when speed is of the essence.

Other than that, I like the freedom of driving to my destinations. And yes, I've been trained and certified. I even have a license to prove it.

Of course, that hasn't stopped trained and certified people from hitting me.

new topics

top topics

join