It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where Ever I May Roam I Meet Someone From Home

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
If you look at a map of the United States it seems so huge, so vast, that it would seem unlikely that if you were to travel randomly around the country that you would meet many people you know from home. My experience has been the exact opposite, and I cannot remember the last time I took a trip that I didn't encounter someone I knew. For example, I just returned from a driving trip from Southeast Texas to Jacksonville, Florida and back. In Jacksonville my husband and I went to eat breakfast at iHop where we were waited on by our once favorite waitress from a local restaurant at home who had moved away a few months ago. On my drive home I ran into a cousin I hadn't seen in several years at a gas station in Mississippi when I stopped for gas and a drink. She was on her way home to Louisiana after a trip to Daytona.

I have encountered a former school mate working at a grocery store near Seattle, Washington, a girlhood crush at a motel laundry room in Vicksburg, Mississippi, One of my children's former classmates working at a convenience store in Hampton, Virginia, my former OB/Gyn on Kaua'i, Hawaii, and the list goes on.

I am constantly amazed that even though the United States may be very large in area no matter where I roam I meet someone from home. Maybe it's not as big as we imagine. How many of you have encountered people from home when on a far away trip? I'd be interested to know!

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Just image all of those on ATS whose paths you have crossed and never known.

I have ventured across people in the same way. Makes for a very strange coincidence.

edit on 8-7-2013 by ShadellacZumbrum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

You know I've often wondered about that! I only know one person for sure that is a member here at ATS, but I do wonder how many of us have met or just briefly encountered each other in person without ever knowing we are fellow members. Maybe someone needs to work on coming up with a "secret sign" again. I don't think anything official has ever been definitively selected yet!

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   

I think we all cross paths for reasons unknown. imo

I run into people from long ago and then I'll meet someone new who has known all my friends the whole time. It's neat. And here on ATS, my cousin is a member but he just lurks and doesn't comment!

Then I just recently 'met' someone on ats who lives in the same town. I asked them in a message how they were in all and turns out we graduated from the same high school. Hmmm....coincidence...I think not.

Peace and love and eat cheesecake

-nat
edit on 8-7-2013 by natalia because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-7-2013 by natalia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by natalia

I agree nat, we all cross paths for a reason.
Sometimes we even meet family we didn't know we had.....and they bring cheesecake!

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Yeah it's pretty crazy to think about actually.

I've ran into people I went to school with, a few years back, hundreds of miles from where we attended. They just happen to be staying in the same hotel as me and on the same floor...

People say "small world" and in some cases I would have to agree with that.

-SAP-

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Well thats pretty amazing!

I have to say, I have never encountered any person that I know from my home town, when on ventures in other counties of my own nation, and this lump of spit is much smaller than the USA. I went to Manchester, and I swear to God, I was the only person there who had an accent other than the local one, or some version of it.

I went to Berkshire, never saw a soul there I recognised either, aside from the person I was there to see. I have been to Corby, Birmingham, traveled the wilds of Wales extensively, bimbled around London on many occasions, which is not at all far from my home county of Essex. I never see a single soul I know, aside from those I either traveled with, or traveled to see.

The only time this has not been the case, we were all there to partake in the same activities. I am of course, refering to the yearly procession of metalheads and nutters that show up to Bloodstock Open Air metal festival. Every year the same bunch of local folks end up making the trip to Derby, camping in one of three or four fields, and bouncing around the same festival, mixed in with all the rest of Britains brutality loving population. There are some people from other counties with whom my friends and I often end up camping, that is to say, camping within a certain number of feet of. I think that can be explained by our preferences for tent positioning.

Most of the people I see yearly from other locations around the British Isles, have the same preferences in terms of distance from footpaths, distance to toilet facilities and food vendors, and so on and so forth. One couple in particular, from New Zealand originally, often end up camping out within about fifteen feet of us, for precisely this reason.

But as to randomly bumping into people? It has never happened to me.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Well I just had to add this comment because I'm in a giddy mood and yes get ready for some cheese...

'Wherever you go.......there you are' ...Hahahahahahaha! My dad used to say that to me a lot. Hahahaha!

So yes small world indeed.

-nat

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
reply to post by natalia

I agree nat, we all cross paths for a reason.
Sometimes we even meet family we didn't know we had.....and they bring cheesecake!

As long as they don't bring rolling pins!!!

You started it my dear!!

Huge hugs

Rodinus

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by natalia

Well I just had to add this comment because I'm in a giddy mood and yes get ready for some cheese...

'Wherever you go.......there you are' ...Hahahahahahaha! My dad used to say that to me a lot. Hahahaha!

So yes small world indeed.

-nat

Hey Nat, you might like this if you are a cheese lover :

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 06:22 AM
link   
I'm still waiting to meet my first ATS member, but no one is daring enough to have a cup of coffee with me

Maybe they know I'll fall asleep during lunch and leave them stuck with the bill.

edit on 9-7-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

NB, if you are ever in my little corner of the world I will be happy to have a cup of coffee with you! If you nod off I will take a nap too so you don't look out of place, but I'll still pay the tab!

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

And sometimes we meet people in unusual ways. We turn a corner, and someone wearing cammo jumps out of the shadows and weilds a rolling pin like a ninja!

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I too often meet people I know on my travels, when I went to india I met 2 school pals who I have not seen for 6 or so years and I wasn't in a tourist area I was in the sticks and when I worked in the Netherlands I met a ex girlfriend in my place of work.
Big place the world but it is odd we all bump into old pals. I bet I have bumped into many members of ATS in my time....we should invent a special handshake

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

If you ever bump into me you will know who I am boymonkey. I will be the one with the big pink cape with a giant "SG" on it for "Super Granny"!

I think it's really neat to run into people I know in far away places. I think it's evidence of life being not quite so random as we imagine!

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by NarcolepticBuddha
I'm still waiting to meet my first ATS member, but no one is daring enough to have a cup of coffee with me

Maybe they know I'll fall asleep during lunch and leave them stuck with the bill.

edit on 9-7-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

I was about to invite you all the way over to France... and then saw the second line!

You are welcome anyway... we will just picnic

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
I too often meet people I know on my travels, when I went to india I met 2 school pals who I have not seen for 6 or so years and I wasn't in a tourist area I was in the sticks and when I worked in the Netherlands I met a ex girlfriend in my place of work.
Big place the world but it is odd we all bump into old pals. I bet I have bumped into many members of ATS in my time....we should invent a special handshake

The world is a big place...

But i would not like to paint it!

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
reply to post by boymonkey74

If you ever bump into me you will know who I am boymonkey. I will be the one with the big pink cape with a giant "SG" on it for "Super Granny"!

I think it's really neat to run into people I know in far away places. I think it's evidence of life being not quite so random as we imagine!

I can just picture the scene!

Not forgetting the SuperGranny mega humongous rolling pin!

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I have always joked that Alaska is the biggest small town that I have ever lived in. This also happens to me regularly. I have run into many many friends unexpectedly in far flung regions of the state. Some people have been long lost old friends, and others were old summer co-workers from many years prior.

I have also encountered people from home while out of state. When in Arizona one winter I ran into a guy that rode my high school bus one night at a pool hall in Phoenix. When my husband and I went to Hawaii to get married, a good old friend of mine was working in the pet section of Wal-Mart. I ran into him while getting aloe vera gel for a sunburn.

My favorite of those encounters has to be the day I literally ran into my nephew's cousin's dad when running in for a pee break at the usual stop. We had all met and lost contact within a month or 2 of meeting. Then I almost knocked him down in Girdwood, and we have been family since. His son just spent the night here a couple of weeks a go.

One other chance meeting that stands out, I was Halibut fishing with my soon to be father in law, and my husbands 2 cousins from out of state. When we were done fishing and back at the docks, I walked with my honey's cousin to find a bathroom. We were standing inside this little seafood diner waiting for the facilities, talking, when I hear "my name here, is that you?" and a neat kid that I had worked with up north 2 years earlier came bouncing down the stairs to say hi. He was a Jersey boy, and good friend from the crazy summer 2 years before. That was neat, he took a break and we got a chance to visit for awhile on the docks that day.

Our big world can really be one small community if we let it.
Thanks for the post, I got a chuckle remembering some of the odd encounters.
edit on 9-7-2013 by woodsmom because: added my dock encounter

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I was travelling in Central America in 2005 and went on a trip traversing through the trees in Costa Rica, the guy in the cue in front of me was the son of my textiles teacher at secondary school in a small village in England. It's a small world as they say.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join