It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stupidity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Hi, my name is Connor, and I'm a thought addict.

I have been a member of this site for many years, and lurked for quite awhile before joining. My daily routine has always involved checking this site for those rare morsels of truth that come whizzing across my fiber-optics.
The funny thing is, I have never authored a thread, and the only reason I am doing so now is because I finally remembered my account password. I could have recovered it long ago,--of course--but I get more caught up in observation than active participation, and that has always proved a hindrance to me since I have much to say.

So now, at 3:00 A.M, I am making a hybridized thread that is half introduction, and half rant. It has occurred to me that I was quite young and stupid when I made my account. I know I am still young, I may even still be stupid. We'll see. The thing is I, for the life of me, cannot figure out why I chose such a pretentious, nonsensical, and utterly idiotic user name.
If I had a time machine right now I would travel to 2009 and urge myself to choose another name (maybe something like Mr. Fuzzy), or at least wait until AFTER I had taken the Latin class before attempting to use the language!
Luckily I know the fine people of ATS to be mostly accepting, and I hope that you can take me seriously anyway. After all, I'm dead serious. About everything. That's why my name's in a dead language! Or at least that's what I tell myself...

So in summary:
Hi, my name is Connor, and I'm back after a long hiatus to complain about myself.
I hope to see you all around these parts soon.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:21 AM
link   
I like how your signature "nothing is written" relates to the topic of your username being set in stone.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:23 AM
link   
tell me about the name, i inherited this account from someone so the name came with it, though i have nothing wrong with Transformers or Star wars, if i could i would just use my Drag name

anyway, hello to you!

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Negotium of Verum

Hi Connor,

It's nice to meet you.

How did you get 14 flags if this is your first thread? I'm just curious.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Amazing how things change in only a few years...

How old were you when you signed up anyways?

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by 2getherwestand

Hi Connor,

It's nice to meet you.

How did you get 14 flags if this is your first thread? I'm just curious.

That's a darn good question!
I was thinking the same thing but just assumed he did make an intro thread at one point. His profile says this is his only authored thread.

Was there a 404 thread at some point in his history? hmm...

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   

edit on 7-7-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: wow 2nd double post tonight!

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

Looks as though we have a mystery on our hands.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:36 AM
link   

It has occurred to me that I was quite young and stupid when I made my account.

um///just a few years ago? It took me longer to tie my shoes...Congrats...

Rant all you want but remember that we all love a great rant.

Peace

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Hey Connor you made me chuckle...I like that the most in people its an awesome thing to have a good sense of humor...I too made an account here many years ago and forgot about it till much later...I finally gave in and just made a new one...oops I hope that is legal to do that here....WELCOME BACK CONNOR!!!

edit on 7/7/13 by shells4u because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I started a thread after the events in Japan where I outlined a plan for an amateur ATS based radiation monitoring network. It got 404'd as I thought it might.

There was no harm in trying, and the thread did lead to me getting a geiger counter and finding an established radiation monitoring network.
No mystery.

And yes Darkblade, I can't stop laughing now that you have pointed that out.

I need to change that quote anyway, when I last saw Lawrence of Arabia I found it ironic that Lawrence had to kill the man that he had previously gone back and saved against the wishes of the protesting Bedouins who were claiming that his fate "is written." He kind of had his quote thrown back at him, much like what has just happened here.
Maybe I'll stick some quotes from Robert Anton Wilson down there tomorrow.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Perhaps you should read into my self deprecating nature a bit more. Hint: It's in the following sentence from the one you quoted!

Maturation occurs rapidly for some in the four years comprising High School. Now I'm off to college, and realize I'm just at the threshold.
edit on 7-7-2013 by Negotium of Verum because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-7-2013 by Negotium of Verum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Your username is unique . Even though there are folks here who can read Latin,Celtic,and even Hobbit,
most members would not bother to attempt a translation.

If your are that uncomfortable with it now , this would be a good time to change it.
As your ratings are low. Once you have lots of ratings/points it may be a more difficult
decision to just trash it all and start over.

That is if the ratings/points are of a concern to you at all.
Best, Wildmanimal
edit on 7-7-2013 by Wildmanimal because: add in content

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Much like education, the process of maturation is ongoing
It never ends. You will always be someone else compared to who you were before.

Enjoy your years at college. Make the most of it while you're there.
Good luck, learn lots, and have fun too.

edit on 7-7-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Nice rant/intro. You can't be stupid, but you might be ignorant, I doubt it however as you sound quite literate. If this were a Latin forum you might really be in trouble, still given the minds on here and the pickiness I expect you will hear about it. Something to look forward to. Not that it matters in the least, I like your handle and think you should keep it.

I am an authority on choosing a bad name. I am called Christ a great deal to my horror. Most have no idea and little interest, in terms of looking it up apparently, what Schist is. So I am having to answer questions about what it means a great deal. What was I thinking?
I put an explanation on my profile page, but those unwilling to google are also unwilling to check out a profile.

One of the special things about ATS is our embarrassing moments follow us forever!

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
At least you didn't use your own name. I used my actual name, and now I'm stuck with it. I don't want to go through all the crap of getting a new account.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
welcome back i hope you have good time in the future but do nor envy the cost of your education

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Thank you everyone!
I am looking forward to contributing here, and exchanging ideas.

I joined this site at 15, and can scarcely believe the changes I have seen in myself during this short time. No doubt life will find me looking back in several more years echoing these same sentiments. I am going to be in college for a very long time, by all accounts (I'm hoping to major in Ethnobotany). Fortunately, I can say with some confidence that the learning one undertakes outside of school--whether it be via experience or internet forum--is what shapes the person, and allows them to escape the tedium of one-track studies.

The community of ATS set me on the path toward individuation, and self awareness. The members here have always been able to sate my thirst for knowledge, and now I hope to reciprocate in some ways. We are the first people to be able to access such a wide away of information--both true and untrue. It's great that this particular corner of cyberspace has chosen to make the best of it.

As an aside, I hope no one really thought I was that upset about my name, haha. I just needed a good icebreaker.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Welcome and have fun!

top topics

join