It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I out of the Internet loop ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Hi ATS.......so this morning my BF and I are enjoying a relaxing Sat. , we are checking out a thread on ATS and it got me thinking.....am I clueless about Internet culture and memes ? I was basically refusing to watch a video of a disturbing nature....and somehow that led into a discussion about viral videos and memes.

He starts to ask me if I know what " double rainbow " is....ummm no...."how about Nyan cat" well...ummm no.....
"How about Numa Numa"........ummmm, well....no........"Friday song, The chocolate rain song, etc.......not a clue!

LOL...at this point after having a few laughs, I get "schooled"....WTF is this we're watching.....
Apparently much of this started on something called 4chan.....yup, no clue what that was either!

4chan wikipedia

I was really shocked how few of these things I had seen......damn, I thought I was cool for my age...not so much I guess.........now I'm making a "not impressed face"...yup, just learned that one too........am I missing something? Should I be ashamed I don't know this stuff or should he be ashamed he does ? .......please feel free to post some of your favorites and add any thoughts you may have.....

This video was an example of how one started.....Ermahgerd...lol.......

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by MountainLaurel

I think you'd have to look at whether or not internet memes are truly what define a culture now to figure out if you need to be aware of them or not.

Personally I try not to follow the meme scene but I usually end up hearing about them one way or another. People latch on to things for a very short amount of time these days, then they are instantly looking for the next fix. Memes are perfect for this type of short attention span and memory which is plaguing everyone lately.

So are we as a culture going to be defined by internet memes in my son's history books? If so, then yes it's vital that we stay abreast of the latest lolcatz and ermahgerd's. If that's what makes us who we are then we can't afford to forget it. Culture is invaluable in figuring out who you are as a person, given that we are by nature social animals.

However, I don't think all that stuff is very important, so I wouldn't lose any sleep over not being hip to it.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroReady

Very well said........Thanks for your thoughts.........While I find a certain amount of humor in it......I was somewhat disturbed when my 22 yr. old daughter schooled me on the "Honey Badger".....yikes......

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Pop culture tends to be the realm of the younger generation, no matter what form it takes.

On the internet its memes, if you care to keep up frequent sites like 4chan and Reddit, if not than don't.

I used to think when I was "younger" prowling the internet that I wanted to be an Adult who understood the tech and culture till I was old.

The older I got the less I gave a #.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Yeah......I hear that........."Youth is wasted on the Young" as my Dad would say way before we had home computers......Somehow we managed to have our own pop culture......the 80's come to mind....

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Am I out of the Internet loop ?

www.shannanigansblog.com...

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by piequal3because14

LOL...that was cute....." More my day Yoda was ".....

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I feel ya. I did know about Chocolate Rain though--Urkel unleashed.

I also, actually, feel more educated about the Honey Badger now that you brought us the vid. Cool. If I ever did get a tattoo or name a high school football team it would be Honey Badger(s)!!

edit on 6-7-2013 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by MountainLaurel

LOL...that was cute....." More my day Yoda was ".....
Magic Loop Magic

www.creativeknittingmagazine.com...

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Right there with ya, ML! Man, I was brought up with people that had easy names, like: Mary Smith, Tom Donovan...
I'm just not conditioned to remember names like Abuu-mohahmed-Azimoon-Bin-Baba Ghazzawi.

I still can't remember the names of the boys that set off bombs at the Boston Marathon. Names are just getting too hard to pronounce, much less remember.

Then there's the acronym craze. There's too many of them!

The NSA is working for the NWO while the WHO is worried about STD's traveling from NK to the UK. By the way, the NK claims to have ICBM's (that's WMD's), but not to worry. The CIA and DHS are on top of things while FEMA is preparing for the worst. And, if the FDA isn't worried about GMO's, then why should I worry about the FBI and DOJ doing a CORI on my name? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! LOL

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

That was funny.......

Ok...here is the "Urkel" of my day........very silly stuff......

Now here is this "Cherry Chocolate Rain" thing........still very silly........a geek with some mojo....who doesn't Love that..........still like Urkel better.......and really never cared about him much either.......

Now Napoleon Dynamite was a whole other thing I never really got....my Daughter thought this was hysterical...she even talked us into going to see it with her Grandma, her and I at the movie theater......LOL....it was a bonding moment for my Mom and I....cause we didn't get it overall.......was a great song...."Vote for Pablo"

Thanks for posting...

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   

LOL...Ok this one is going right over my head? I'm getting old and should take up knitting? If I knit, I will be in the loop? I am kinda of crafty, and can crochet sorta....so that works for me......
Your links are fun....Thank-You....

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
um, yea.....you're old.

I have a teenage boy at home. I am typically amused by meme's, and frequent memebase. But since my son is amused by memes, I have to stay interested.

I am only as relevant as my connection with his culture. At least in his opinion.

But when the oldest was into tennis, my fat a# was out there playing tennis with him.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   

GREAT videos! I never really "got" Mr. Dynamite either. Almost...but not quite, if that makes sense? My daughter loves it too. I will say, however, if I could do that dance, I would definitely sport it at the nightclub and be proud!

edit on 6-7-2013 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Oh geez......thanks so much for participating in this conversation.......gotta finish dinner and clean up.....looking forward to continued thoughts.......lol.....yup Jigger, you nailed it...and The fury One , well you nailed it too.....

Jigger, at least I knew the majority of acronyms you put in your VERY funny and insightful post....OK, ok, I do have to admit when I saw WHO....I did think what the hell does a rock band have to do with this....

I looked it up, World Health Organization........you all are so very wonderful.....

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

Don't lie. You live for the day when you have Napoleon Dynamite swag.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by The GUT

Don't lie. You live for the day when you have Napoleon Dynamite swag.

perhaps.....LOL.....I truly don't want to be shallow......I really did try hard.....♥ Still have some "swag" when it comes to common sense ....just don't ever want to lose perspective and humor.....Sleep well....♫

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   

I am twenty eight years of age, and I have to say... I have no idea why the phrase "totes amazeballs" exists. I like lolcats, and I love de-motivational posters, but generally speaking, memes go over my head a bit.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   

If it makes you feel any better, I lost all my swag about 10 years ago. Now I am just some dude, with a wife and kids.
I am only as cool as my boys interests allow me to be. Like I said, I have even had to play tennis in the 110 degree summer heat. Tennis is not very cool. The younger one is much easier on his old man. Call of Duty doesn't make me sweat nearly as much, and I enjoy hunting again.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join