It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Science align with evangelicals view point?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Science says that the universe is over 16 billion years old.
Evangelicals hold that the earth was created in 6 days that consisted of a *24 hour period.

Question for Evangelicals...can you reconcile the two together?
I think it can possibly be done...check out Einsteins theory of relativity and see what you think.

Gods peace to all

dAlen

Edit One: (*24 hours as we currently understand it)

Edit Two: My apologies if this fits better in the science forum...

[edit on 8-11-2004 by dAlen]

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by dAlen
I think it can possibly be done...check out Einsteins theory of relativity and see what you think.

Even though this topic is being discussed in several other threads, I'll bite.

First of all, its not only evangelicals who hold this to be true.

As for the Einstein theory, I don't understand where you are going. Why don't you explain it to me.

Respectfully,
BG

[edit on 8-11-2004 by beergoggles]

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Ill do my best to try to explain this.
Time is relative and does not always travel at the same speed.
The way we currently judge the speed of time itself are not universal.

From one point of perception it could appear that 16 billion years have passed, yet from another point would be 6 days.
There is a book by Gerald Schroeder Called "The Science of God" that apparently tries to make Genesis and Science fit together.

Edit One: Part of the reason for my post is to spurr some conversation from evangelicals...having grown up believing in most of the stuff taught in "sunday school" I have in the past few years ventured past what most evangelicals would call their comfort zone...I have found some great stuff that I would never have found if I had kept a wall up around me.
I say that to say this...it is my hope that other "evangelicals" too may get passed a lot of what could be called "dogmatic" teachings.

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Science says that the universe is over 16 billion years old.
Evangelicals hold that the earth was created in 6 days that consisted of a *24 hour period.

Question for Evangelicals...can you reconcile the two together?

Gods peace to all

dAlen

Edit One: (*24 hours as we currently understand it)

Edit Two: My apologies if this fits better in the science forum...

What evangelicals seem to miss is that science and math are gods art.
If you had to explain the creation of the world to a bunch of cave dwellers,how would you describe it?
This is the problem with taking the bible at face value,people tend to forget context.

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Ill do my best to try to explain this.
Time is relative and does not always travel at the same speed.
The way we currently judge the speed of time itself are not universal.

From one point of perception it could appear that 16 billion years have passed, yet from another point would be 6 days.
There is a book by Gerald Schroeder Called "The Science of God" that apparently tries to make Genesis and Science fit together.

I see more and more people subscribing to similar theories. 6 days could have equaled 6 billion years, 6 trillion, etc.

One of the more common phrases I keep hearing is "god works within natural law." I don't know if it's because people are having to modify their view of god because of scientific development or an honestly held belief. One thing I can say for sure, I never heard of such a belief system when I was a kid.

B.

new topics

top topics

join