It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Late Pope John Paul II to get sainthood, Vatican says

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Late Pope John Paul II to get sainthood, Vatican says

www.cnn.com

(CNN) -- The Roman Catholic Church will declare the late Pope John Paul II a saint, the Vatican announced Friday.

Pope Francis signed the decree Friday morning, the Vatican said. John Paul was pope from 1978 until his death in 2005, and was essentially the first rock star pontiff - drawing vast crowds as he criss-crossed the globe.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
religion.blogs.cnn.com
www.abovetopsecret.com
www.abovetopsecret.com
www.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   
It was expected but still, in only 6 years?
Wow!
CNN has an article explaining the process at religion.blogs.cnn.com...
and there are several good threads here related to The Church and HHPJPII's role.
Also being canonized is Pope John XXIII (Vatican II)
www.news.va...

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 7/5/13 by anniquity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by anniquity
It was expected but still, in only 6 years?

Church law says a person can't be canonized until five years after death. It takes a special dispensation from this rule to have it in less time than that. And Pope John Paul II kind of set modern day precedent by beatifying Mother Teresa only two years after her death.

Mother Teresa Sainthood

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Thanks for that link. I was just reading more about it.
According to Wikipedia, Pope John Paul II made some other changes to the process, also.
Wiki - Canonization after 1983

In particular, the reforms eliminated the office of the Promoter of the Faith (Latin: promotor fidei), popularly known as the Devil's advocate, who was required to present a case against canonization. Possibly as a result, the rate of canonization increased markedly after 1983.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by anniquity

In addition to being dead for a specific time period before the cannonization process can begin I thought that in order to be considered for sainthood the figure in question had to have performed miracles that were witnessed and that could not be explained by any other manner but "miracle". Did JP2 perform some miracles I've forgotten about? Mother Theresa's cannonization was even in question as the supposed miracle she performed was "iffy".

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Great news for an incredible humanitarian (as far as I know at least)!

I have to say I still wish I knew what those last words were he tried to croak out at Easter before he died.
I guess I’ll never know.
In this life.

peace

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I cannot condone this. It would be a deplorable move by RCC. The pedophile scandal alone should refute his eligibility (unless it was a 'miracle' that it vanished before everyone's eyes).

The long standing history of magical disappearing money doesn't count as saintly either.

I have nothing against JP2. I just don't think sainthood is an appropriate choice.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

The first miracle is detailed at this link. Wiki

In early 2006, it was reported that the Vatican was investigating a possible miracle associated with John Paul II. A French nun, confined to her bed by Parkinson's Disease or a neurological condition with similar symptoms which can go into remission, is reported to have experienced a "complete and lasting cure after members of her community prayed for the intercession of Pope John Paul II".[7][16][17] The nun was later identified as Sister Marie Simon-Pierre.

“I was sick and now I am cured,” she told reporters. “I am cured, but it is up to the church to say whether it was a miracle or not.”

The 2nd can be read about here. The Telegraph and here.

It concerns the “extraordinary healing” of a Costa Rican woman who was cured of a severe brain injury after her family began praying to the memory of the late Polish pope, according to reports in the Italian media.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Pope John Paul II mumbled his final words weakly in Polish: “Let me go to the house of the Father.” Six hours later, the comatose pontiff died, the Vatican says.

The official account is quite close to one offered last month by John Paul’s longtime personal secretary, now Krakow Archbishop Stanislaw Dziwisz. He told an Italian TV interviewer that a nun who was near the pontiff heard him say: “Let me go to the Lord.”

Source

Maybe....

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Yes, but praying to a figure (living or deceased) for intercession and healing is not the same as a genuine "laying on of hands" miracle. I find either of the two examples to be questionable (there is no evidence of JP2's involvement in any way) so I have no doubts that the Vatican would find them questionable as well.

I could pray for intercession from Sponge Bob and might receive healing if the Lord decides to bless me, but that doesn't make it a Sponge Bob miracle and certainly wouldn't make him a candidate for sainthood. JP2 was a great guy, but he shouldn't be cannonized just because he was an extremely popular Pope.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

Yes, but praying to a figure (living or deceased) for intercession and healing is not the same as a genuine "laying on of hands" miracle.

So far as I know, that's the way that it's always been. The reason is that, while we have no idea of who is in hell, we can use miracles that arise from intercessory prayers as an indication that a person is in heaven, because miracles cannot be performed by someone in hell.

Ergo, if praying to John Paul II results in a miraculous healing (has to happen at least twice and get through the investigative process,) then he's eligible for sainthood, because of the assurance that he's in heaven.

Miracles done in the course of one's actual life wouldn't provide that same assurance.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

Yes, but praying to a figure (living or deceased) for intercession and healing is not the same as a genuine "laying on of hands" miracle.

I understand your point/hesitation. Intercessory miracles are accepted and honored by Catholics, always have been. Other denominations believe a miracle is hands-on event, usually.

I find either of the two examples to be questionable (there is no evidence of JP2's involvement in any way) so I have no doubts that the Vatican would find them questionable as well.

I could pray for intercession from Sponge Bob and might receive healing if the Lord decides to bless me, but that doesn't make it a Sponge Bob miracle and certainly wouldn't make him a candidate for sainthood. JP2 was a great guy, but he shouldn't be cannonized just because he was an extremely popular Pope.

Catholics and other denominations have a different view of how miracles can happen. Whether hands are "laid on" or you pray and are healed, or others pray (intercede) and you are healed, all healing and power come from the Lord. Isn't that wonderful?

edit on 7/5/13 by anniquity because: poor wording

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
great news!

a saint, woohoo!

i mean he had SUCH faith in GOD he required a bullet proof pope mobile..

sounds chosen by GOD to me, i mean if God chose him to live as pope, why the bullet proof?
and

If GOD wanted him dead, is it not an insult to God? having the audacity to think that in any way you could thwart God's desire?

how lame.. i was maybe 6 years old, when the pope mobile came about..

catholicism lost any credibilty after that.. just let the whole story of how the pope came about, what the pope signifies, etc.. then if my above statement doesn't jive, you are either hopelessly over-fluoridated, or brainwashed

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Pope JP had the power to allow contraceptives in Africa, but he did not, condemning a huge number of people to aids related deaths. Not just the "sinners" but innocent babies as well. And you want make him a saint?

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
"Be not afraid."

"Open wide the doors to Christ."

~ Pope John Paul II

He said some of the right things. "Be not afraid" has a certain genius to it though that I greatly admire and find quite humorous for reasons that I cannot begin to explain here but for that alone, I think he deserves the Sainthood.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
he was a willing player in the faking of his 'assassination' attempt
in the 1980's. he is a villain, not a saint!
pffft!
The Fatima Hoax and the Staged Shooting of Pope John Paul II.

the leader of the roman empire now is no less bent that previous ones.
they are the worlds problem.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by TopsyTurvyOne

Well, he's being named a saint by the Roman Catholic church, which doesn't expect anyone but Roman Catholics to acknowledge him as a saint, and you're obviously not a Roman Catholic, so what do you care?

It's like an American complaining about Great Britain giving an award to one of their citizens.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Do all these criminals and hidden psycho/socio paths just legitimize each other all the time to appease the public?

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

Well, he's being named a saint by the Roman Catholic church, which doesn't expect anyone but Roman Catholics to acknowledge him as a saint, and you're obviously not a Roman Catholic, so what do you care?

It's like an American complaining about Great Britain giving an award to one of their citizens.

bs. how many catholics would worship him if they knew he was a fraud?
and i provided a link to prove he was.

the world didn't get to where it is now for no reason.

baaaa!

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   

bs. how many catholics would worship him if they knew he was a fraud?

The same number that would worship him without your supposed fraud -- zero.

Catholics do not worship saints.

edit on 5-7-2013 by adjensen because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join