It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dinosaurs and the bible?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 03:19 AM
link   
The following is straight out of the bible. says behemoth but sounds like a dinosaur. Remember the word dinosaur didnt come around till the 1800s i believe. Sounds like a dinosaur to me but it could be something else. interesting though. 15 “Look at Behemoth,
which I made along with you
and which feeds on grass like an ox.
16 What strength it has in its loins,
what power in the muscles of its belly!
17 Its tail sways like a cedar;
the sinews of its thighs are close-knit.
18 Its bones are tubes of bronze,
its limbs like rods of iron.
19 It ranks first among the works of God,
yet its Maker can approach it with his sword.
20 The hills bring it their produce,
and all the wild animals play nearby.
21 Under the lotus plants it lies,
hidden among the reeds in the marsh.
22 The lotuses conceal it in their shadow;
the poplars by the stream surround it.
23 A raging river does not alarm it;
it is secure, though the Jordan should surge against its mouth.
24 Can anyone capture it by the eyes,
or trap it and pierce its nose?
edit on 5-7-2013 by DarkNite because: Spelling

edit on 5-7-2013 by DarkNite because: Spelling

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Hippopotamus. Rather obvious, really, when you think about it.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   
I'm skeptical if it was a dinosaur. Wikipedia gives some good clues as to what behemoth could mean. In the article it seems to express in the book that God can be the only one who can control the various powerful beast like behemoth and Leviathan.

To me it seems that the verses in Job are creating a picture of God's powers and abilities. Compared to humans where it points out they couldn't control them.

In the divine speeches in Job, Behemoth and Leviathan may both be seen as composite and mythical creatures with enormous strength, which humans like Job could not hope to control. But both are reduced to the status of divine pets, with rings through their noses and Leviathan on a leash.

This makes sense because different cultures did have stories of monsters, mythical creatures, etc. With God being an all powerful character they believe he could defeat them with ease. Hopefully this makes sense.

Source

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   
People have often speculated that Behemoth was a dinosaur. The same can be said of Leviathan, who is described in Job 41:

Can you pull in Leviathan with a fishhook
or tie down its tongue with a rope?
2 Can you put a cord through its nose
or pierce its jaw with a hook?
3 Will it keep begging you for mercy?
Will it speak to you with gentle words?
4 Will it make an agreement with you
for you to take it as your slave for life?
5 Can you make a pet of it like a bird
or put it on a leash for the young women in your house?
6 Will traders barter for it?
Will they divide it up among the merchants?
7 Can you fill its hide with harpoons
or its head with fishing spears?
8 If you lay a hand on it,
you will remember the struggle and never do it again!
9 Any hope of subduing it is false;
the mere sight of it is overpowering.
10 No one is fierce enough to rouse it.
Who then is able to stand against me?
11 Who has a claim against me that I must pay?
Everything under heaven belongs to me.

12 “I will not fail to speak of Leviathan’s limbs,
its strength and its graceful form.
13 Who can strip off its outer coat?
Who can penetrate its double coat of armor?
14 Who dares open the doors of its mouth,
ringed about with fearsome teeth?
15 Its back has[c] rows of shields
tightly sealed together;
16 each is so close to the next
that no air can pass between.
17 They are joined fast to one another;
they cling together and cannot be parted.
18 Its snorting throws out flashes of light;
its eyes are like the rays of dawn.
19 Flames stream from its mouth;
sparks of fire shoot out.
20 Smoke pours from its nostrils
as from a boiling pot over burning reeds.
21 Its breath sets coals ablaze,
and flames dart from its mouth.
22 Strength resides in its neck;
dismay goes before it.
23 The folds of its flesh are tightly joined;
they are firm and immovable.
24 Its chest is hard as rock,
hard as a lower millstone.
25 When it rises up, the mighty are terrified;
they retreat before its thrashing.
26 The sword that reaches it has no effect,
nor does the spear or the dart or the javelin.
27 Iron it treats like straw
and bronze like rotten wood.
28 Arrows do not make it flee;
slingstones are like chaff to it.
29 A club seems to it but a piece of straw;
it laughs at the rattling of the lance.
30 Its undersides are jagged potsherds,
leaving a trail in the mud like a threshing sledge.
31 It makes the depths churn like a boiling caldron
and stirs up the sea like a pot of ointment.
32 It leaves a glistening wake behind it;
one would think the deep had white hair.
33 Nothing on earth is its equal—
a creature without fear.
34 It looks down on all that are haughty;
it is king over all that are proud.”

...people have also rubbished these ideas, of course, claiming that Leviathan and Behemoth are not dinosaurs at all - but the descriptions don't really fit anything else.

I'd say it's certainly plausible that these are descriptions of dinosaurs.
...and let's be honest here - palaeontology is a very recent science, and our knowledge of dinosaurs in a scientific context really didn't begin until the 19th Century... and yet every culture in the world has knowledge of dinosaurs. Ironic, isn't it, given that evolutionary science tells us that we're separated by around 65 million years?

...there are things we don't know about what happened in the last DECADE because our collective memory doesn't retain that knowledge. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to suggest that we remember dinosaurs for any reason other than the fact that these creatures were not only observable in recent history, but also impressive enough to have an impact big enough that they were retained in our collective memory.

Leviathan, indeed.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 03:41 AM
link   
How to cover-up History in 3 easy steps:

1) Cover-up all evidence for giants and label them a hoax.

2) Change the word dragons to dinosaurs and make dragons look like a myth.

3) Rewrite history:

The Illuminati realized they had to deceive an entire population of people if they had any hope whatsoever of achieving their coveted New World Order. As early as 1911, the Illuminati began buying textbook writing companies, until they owned them all after World War I. Once they got control of textbooks, they gradually began to "dumb down" the curricula and rewrite history. Rewriting history was the first step in achieving the New World Order. Source

Anything and everything that points towards the truth has been removed from history...

This is WHY dragons mysteriously became ‘dinosaurs’.

The art of propaganda through falsification of history has been around for most of recorded history. This mind control technique has been used successfully by ancient historians to keep the facade in place and the population of the world dumbed down.

The word ‘dinosaur’ wasn’t invented until 1841 by Sir Richard Owen. Before that time they were known as dragons. For most of human history dinosaurs were known as dragons.

Did you know the word dinosaur was not even in the dictionary in 1891? Again, for most of human history dinosaurs were known as dragons. Dragons are mentioned in the Bible 34 times. Dragons were listed in the dictionary in 1946 as “Now rare.”

What happened to the Dinosaurs?

Dragons or Dinosaurs? Trailer
www.youtube.com...

Dinosaurs were Dragons and lived alongside Man
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

Dinosaurs & Dragon Legends
www.youtube.com...

PROOF THAT DINOSAURS ARE DRAGONS
www.youtube.com...

Proof Dinosaurs Lived With Man
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

Google: Dinosaurs were Dragons

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax

That was my first thought,

Second line

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

Slow down fella! Just kidding. I'm skeptical of your claims and I would like to see the etymology for the words dinosaur and dragon. As you mention the word dinosaur was created by Sir Richard Owen in the year 1842.

The taxon Dinosauria was formally named in 1842 by paleontologist Sir Richard Owen, who used it to refer to the "distinct tribe or sub-order of Saurian Reptiles" that were then being recognized in England and around the world.The term is derived from the Greek words δεινός (deinos, meaning "terrible," "potent," or "fearfully great") and σαῦρος (sauros, meaning "lizard" or "reptile").Though the taxonomic name has often been interpreted as a reference to dinosaurs' teeth, claws, and other fearsome characteristics, Owen intended it merely to evoke their size and majesty.

The word dragon seems to be mostly different, but referees "serpent and sea snake."

The word dragon entered the English language in the early 13th century from Old French dragon, which in turn comes from Latin draconem (nominative draco) meaning "huge serpent, dragon," from the Greek word δράκων, drakon (genitive drakontos, δράκοντος) "serpent, giant seafish". The Greek and Latin term referred to any great serpent, not necessarily mythological, and this usage was also current in English up to the 18th century.

It's interesting that in the definition of dragon it mentions "giant seafish." I think this could have been the way it was use in the bible. As a way to explain mythical beast of the ocean or sea. Since ancient men probably feared what was out in the ocean.

Three of your videos seem to be gone and I'll see the others. I'll have to dig up more information about this subject.

Source
Source

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Briles1207

That was my first thought,

Second line

Hippos are not known for having large, cedar tree-like tails.

Of course behemoth was a dinosaur. Most people won't agree with that because it would go against their idea that Earth is billions of years old instead around 6,000.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by jeramie

Of course behemoth was a dinosaur. Most people won't agree with that because it would go against their idea that Earth is billions of years old instead around 6,000.

Do you believe the Earth is 6,000 years old and if so why do you believe that? Just curious.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 04:17 AM
link   

22 The lotuses conceal it in their shadow;
the poplars by the stream surround it.

Pretty big lotus flowers, covering up a Brontosaurus and all...

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by jeramie

There are no scientific evidence of this, i assume you speak out of your own personal beliefs.
If not i woud like to be enlightened with some heavy facts

is it nessercary for the bible to explain everything in the universe to make people keep the faith?

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Man and Dinosaurs (of that size) did not co-exist.

I suppose you can count ailligators and chickens as "dinosaurs"

I think the behemoth is a myth within a myth.

Nothing more

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Dinosaurs, as we know them, could not have been on earth the same time as man. To explain this, we must understand the Gap Principle. The Gap Principle states that the earth was created in Genesis 1:1, was destroyed by God, and in Genesis 1:2 the earth was without form and void. The time frame between these two verses could be legitimately millions of years.

What would cause this destruction? First, one more thing must be explained.

Ezekiel 28:13-19 teaches that Lucifer was stripped of his heavenly position, authority and glory when he rebelled against God in seeking equality. Earth became Satan's new home. It is commonly believed (and I disagree) that Satan in his anger and rage destroyed the earth. In fact (and you're about to be amazed), God destroyed the earth in His own anger. Yes, that's right, GOD DESTROYED THE EARTH IN GENESIS 1:1...

Here's how it went down.

Jeremiah 4:23-28, “I beheld the earth, and, lo, it was without form, and void; and the heavens, and they had no light. I beheld the mountains, and, lo, they trembled, and all the hills moved lightly. I beheld, and, lo, there was no man, and all the birds of the heavens were fled. I beheld, and, lo, the fruitful place was a wilderness, and all the cities thereof were broken down at the presence of the LORD, and by his fierce anger. For thus hath the LORD said, The whole land shall be desolate; yet will I not make a full end. For this shall the earth mourn, and the heavens above be black: because I have spoken it, I have purposed it, and will not repent, neither will I turn back from it.”

So at this time there was no man, but yet there were cities. The cities were inhabited by angels. Man had not been created yet. This is when dinosaurs roamed the earth. Jeremiah 4:23-28 speaks of the time between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2.

132 times throughout the Old Testament we find mention of the lion. In many cases the lion is mentioned as a symbol of strength and ferocity.

Job 4:10, “The roaring of the lion, and the voice of the fierce lion, and the teeth of the young lions, are broken.”

Proverbs 19:12, “The king's wrath is as the roaring of a lion.”

Proverbs 30:30, “A lion which is strongest among beasts, and turneth not away for any.”

The Bible even says in plain language that the lion is the strongest among beasts. Surely if tyrannosauruses had dwelt amongst men, then they would have been the strongest among beasts and mentioned instead of lions. No lion would be a match for a Velociraptor, one of the most aggressive and predatory of the dinosaurs. T-rex were meat eaters, but likely scavengers; not hunters like the Velociraptor. Clearly, dinosaurs lived in a prehistoric world.

Also, in Genesis 6:19 God told Noah to bring two of every sort of all flesh upon the ark. There's no mention of leaving the dinosaurs behind as excess baggage. It is clear that Bahemoth and Leviathan are not dinosaurs, but something else, such as a metaphor of God's strength and dominon over creation when mentioned in Job.

Again, it is plain to see that prehistoric creatures lived long before the human race existed. This is NOT evolution, nor progressive creationism; but rather, the Biblical truth that the earth is old and life existing today is young (6,000 years old).
edit on 5-7-2013 by Siberbat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by jeramie
Hippos are not known for having large, cedar tree-like tails.

No, but the descriptions of travellers can be misleading or based on poor observation.
That was what gave us the legend that ostriches hide their heads in the sand.
And it was probably by the descriptions of travellers, telling Europeans how it charged across the plains, that the rhinoceros became the legendary unicorn

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   
There have been instances where animals that we recognize as dinosaurs appear on cultural artifacts.

For example...heres a triceratops from a relic from Peru

These things challenge the claim that dinosaurs were all extinct before man arrived. The fact that dinosaurs weren't discovered until much after these artifacts were made also brings up another big question mark.
edit on 5-7-2013 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   
We also see depictions of ancient Greeks riding on Pegasus and drawings of griffins as well. A Possible result of seeing strange fossils along the silk trade roads. Is it beyond concept that these tribes may have encountered fossils of dinosaurs, rather than the creatures themselves? South American cultures were very animalistic in regards to their spiritual beliefs. It is possible these fossilized creatures were integrated somehow into their art, just as the Greeks did?

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by jeramie

Yes cause Egyptians and other ancient Civilization were a myth. World started with Christianity. Yeah OK.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Have you seen a hippo's tail?

One word I wouldn't use to describe it would be a "cedar" tree.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
perhaps the powers of mere observation need a little sharpening..

both conversations are between God and Job..

1). it is GOD who is asking the questions AND telling Job, or better yet, putting the smack down on Job's pride by letting him know if he has the power to create or control such massive beasts GOD has created.

2) God is describing what he has already made, if God states that a creature has a tail like that of a cedar tree, then we should assume that the creature DOES indeed have a tail as such.

3) concerning the Leviathan, here's what God is describing when it sneezes.. never seen a croc do this ever..

When This Monster Sneezes

18 When this monster sneezes,
lightning flashes,
and its eyes
glow like the dawn.
19 Sparks and fiery flames
explode from its mouth.
20 And smoke spews from its nose
like steam
from a boiling pot,
21 while its blazing breath
scorches everything in sight.
CEV

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Siberbat

I gotta admit what you posted makes alot of sense and could explain alot of things. Do you think that during this Gap is when some of these monster size structures we have on earth were made, or do you think those were made in the time of the giants?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join