It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Legal expert says Obama’s delay of mandate ‘blatantly illegal’

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by MsAphrodite

Originally posted by MsAphrodite
Obama has had four years to prepare for implementation of Obamacare.

You think it's Obama who isn't ready for implementation?
Do some reading. You'll find out that it's the businesses that aren't ready.

I'm clearly wasting my time trying to talk about facts, but this is straight from the Affordable Care Act:

(d) EFFECTIVE DATE
.—The amendments made by this section shall apply to taxable years ending after December 31, 2013.

Just because a bunch of people think that means it's effective ON that date just shows their inability to read and comprehend...

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

(d) EFFECTIVE DATE
.—The amendments made by this section shall apply to taxable years ending after December 31, 2013.

Well this language seems to me to include 2014 as a taxable year !!

Which could be interpreted as 'etched in stone'

The courts are going to be clogged.

Congress may in fact have to pass an amendment for this to be legal ????

very confusing.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Tell you what BH, how about Obama implement the law as it's written? He doesn't need ANYBODY'S PERMISSION TO DO THAT. And indeed Obama's team fought tooth and nail during the writing and debating of Obamacare to INCLUDE the employer mandate (go read the Ezra Klein article I linked above); it wasn't something forced upon them. This was their big wonderful idea. And now they want to run shrieking away from the consequences of their dumb idea without feeling any pain -- in other words, to destroy the necessary feedback loop of politics where parties are rewarded or penalized for their smart or stupid decisions.

You seem to believe that the President is allowed to toss out the Constitution's most fundamental rules regarding legislation, structure of government, etc. (not petty ones, but the stuff they literally teach you in 3rd grade because it's so important) so long as he has made the holistic and rather subjective determination that "the legislative process is broken." That's not how it works. The process, in fact, is arguably NOT broken: Republicans oppose the healthcare law not just out of principle but also because it's massively unpopular with the country at large, and significant majorities support its full repeal. There is nothing 'broken' about having one party say "no, we're not going let you 'tinker around the edges' with this piece of crap, you need to repeal it and start over again" -- it's what the country wants in pretty much every poll taken on the subject since 2010.

Oh, but I forgot: you support it and you support the President, so anyone who doesn't just resign themselves to the status quo and get on board is Breaking The System and therefore authorizing Obama to behave in a manner many of us would tend to expect out of South American leaders with titles like El Presidente.

Means to an end and all that.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
It seems some members of Congress are asking for details.

I wonder if they smell sulfur ?

Letter to HHS

Letter to Treasury

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by xuenchen
or is Obama Inc. running amok again.

All things considered, that is my initial thought. Obama is kicking the can down the road so that the next POTUS will have to deal with the toxic fall out from Obamacare. And he's kicking the can down the road so that the poison won't show up in the 2014 elections. It isn't going to be pretty when everyone who thought they were going to get 'free' health care instead find out that they are going to have to pay a hefty new 'tax' for it.

I'm surprised that no one is noticing the money missing out of their checks. I noticed it the first check I got, why? Because that money they stole (taxed), pays for my electric and gas to get to work. Every dollar of my check is gone for bills and grocery before I even have it in my hands. Then, I come into the work two weeks later for a meeting to find out my job is no longer full time. After crying about it for the past month about how to keep from being homeless, I decided I'm done, and that I'm going to start looking for under the pay jobs and people who are willing to work in a barter system. I've found about three people wanting to barter for eggs, homemade bread in exchange for my helping clean their chicken coops once a week. A woman down the street from me with MS is going to pay me to do her laundry. I can work hard, I'm not afraid of work. I just want my life back. I want some real hope again. I feel like our president and his admin is stealing the power away from the people. It's up to us to take back our lives and freedoms.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

In all actuality I believe this may hurt the Democratic party in the next elections more than it helps them, here's why: The individual mandate is still in place and by law we (American citizens) must acquire health insurance by the end of this year. With the employer mandate being delayed that means that many people will have to seek out and buy their own individual and family policies. This will prove very difficult and expensive as many of the big insurance companies have decided to drop all but employer provided health policies and those who still offer them have raised their prices tremendously- and with the govt. backed public exchanges already delayed as well this will hit people who were expecting affordable insurance in the pocket book, HARD!!! This doesn't bode well for the DNC come mid-term elections.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join